Stalled Compact 24L water cooling oriented ATX case

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 1, 2016
is that mac pro photoshopped in or did you just casually have the file laying around with all the correct render properties?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
is that mac pro photoshopped in or did you just casually have the file laying around with all the correct render properties?
I had the model already, though it's just something I pulled off the Sketchup 3dwarehouse a while ago. The front is just a texture, and it's not 100% correct (the vent holes wrap the top and bottom on the real life Mac Pro), but it's good enough to use as a comparison.

Material properties were a bit of pain to get looking semi-correct. Still not totally satisfied with it, but it's close enough.

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 1, 2016
I had the model already, though it's just something I pulled off the Sketchup 3dwarehouse a while ago. The front is just a texture, and it's not 100% correct (the vent holes wrap the top and bottom on the real life Mac Pro), but it's good enough to use as a comparison.

Material properties were a bit of pain to get looking semi-correct. Still not totally satisfied with it, but it's close enough.
shhhhhhhhhh, just say yes. They don't need to know.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If the PSU bracket just attaches to the fan mounts, any thoughts on making an ATX bracket? Not really enough room at the top, but it could go in front of the motherboard.

Not that I really want to encourage ATX PSU support since SFX-L is coming into its own, but I just know you'll get this question as soon as this case is posted on a mainstream site.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
If the PSU bracket just attaches to the fan mounts, any thoughts on making an ATX bracket? Not really enough room at the top, but it could go in front of the motherboard.

Not that I really want to encourage ATX PSU support since SFX-L is coming into its own, but I just know you'll get this question as soon as this case is posted on a mainstream site.
Yeah, I've thought about it. There is room at the top if a microATX board is used, or at the front as you said. The downside of front mounting is it would eat up both front fan slots, unless the PSU is pretty short.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I believe you could still fit a 120mm rad on the front and 240mm on the bottom with a 160mm PSU though, maybe even with a reference length GPU.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I believe you could still fit a 120mm rad on the front and 240mm on the bottom with a 160mm PSU though, maybe even with a reference length GPU.
Almost, but for the modular connectors:

It'd be too tight for reference cards in the first slot, as well. Though, I do have a little room I can reclaim from the front panel - chassis gap, I think.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hmm, definitely in feature creep territory now. Either make the case just bit bigger and have pretty decent ATX PSU support or stick to the original vision.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
SFX / SFX-L forever...!

Get kickbacks from Silverstone for every 800w SFX-L PSU sold...
Ha, I wish. I'm sure we helped them sell at least a couple thousand PSUs. Silverstone was really the only game in town for higher wattage SFX up until Corsair joined the party.

Oh well, I'm just glad to have played some small role in moving things forward, and it's nice to see SFX and SFX-L adoption taking off.

Reactions: Phuncz

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Like the Cerberus/Cerberus-X, this case is extremely appealing... nicely done!
Two of my enthusiast ITX builds are/were liquid cooled using dual 280/240 radiator setups and as a result, with so few options to choose from in the past, the cases I have had to rely on were terribly oversized and inefficient.

I was planning to build an mATX rig but unfortunately the mATX market appears to have dried up (at least for the time being) and with the Corewars™ in full-swing, it seems like ATX is starting to pick up steam again (much to my dismay).

Anyway:
1. Yes! The external design is looking fantastic.
2. Love the M-Style look.
3. SFX and SFX-L PSU only please.
4. Love this, plus it frees up room for a PCie slot up top as Aibo mentioned.
5. In a perfect world, anyone that would intentionally opt for an ATX motherboard, would not only need room for at least two GPUs in any slot, but ample room to run tubing and possibly a dedicated soundcard.
6. Routing tubing to front rad with this config would be a pain, haha. Although if that was SFX, I could see that working quite well.
7. I require an side-window personally but I would not be opposed to performing the mod myself.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Like the Cerberus/Cerberus-X, this case is extremely appealing... nicely done!
Two of my enthusiast ITX builds are/were liquid cooled using dual 280/240 radiator setups and as a result, with so few options to choose from in the past, the cases I have had to rely on were terribly oversized and inefficient.

I was planning to build an mATX rig but unfortunately the mATX market appears to have dried up (at least for the time being) and with the Corewars™ in full-swing, it seems like ATX is starting to pick up steam again (much to my dismay).

Anyway:
1. Yes! The external design is looking fantastic.
2. Love the M-Style look.
3. SFX and SFX-L PSU only please.
4. Love this, plus it frees up room for a PCie slot up top as Aibo mentioned.
5. In a perfect world, anyone that would intentionally opt for an ATX motherboard, would not only need room for at least two GPUs in any slot, but ample room to run tubing and possibly a dedicated soundcard.
6. Routing tubing to front rad with this config would be a pain, haha. Although if that was SFX, I could see that working quite well.
7. I require an side-window personally but I would not be opposed to performing the mod myself.

You can also mount the PSU over the MB...

I believe a side window may be an option, but not one I would choose if PSU is over MB...

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Routing tubing to front rad with this config would be a pain, haha.

People do dual 240mm rads in the M1, which is literally half the size though :p

Plus with that config I was thinking more like push the bottom rad rearward as far as possible and put the ATX PSU at the top. That way the gap required to clear the front IO can be used for the modular connectors or power cord. Then the CPU could use a 120mm (or maybe even 140mm) and the 240mm could be for the GPUs.

It'd require either a bit more space made between the ATX PSU and the cards, or just using shorter cards, which luckily are plentiful this generation on the NVIDIA side at least.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
People do dual 240mm rads in the M1, which is literally half the size though :p.

Sure, but they don't have a 90-degree power cable that would get in the way of the inlets/outlets :p
http://i.imgur.com/YS2hXfm.png

In this situation, just a single 120mm radiator is presented (here) but as you mentioned, why bother if you can fit dual 240s into a much smaller case.