Stalled Compact 24L water cooling oriented ATX case

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
well using an ATX case for a 65W or lower cpu is a bit useless lol..:D
Yeah I have a 7900x heat monster in mine. Which is why I didn’t think it would be a good idea because the amount of heat that would be coming off the cpu block.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Yeah I have a 7900x heat monster in mine. Which is why I didn’t think it would be a good idea because the amount of heat that would be coming off the cpu block.
Wow I’m curious to know if/how you are able to tame the 7900x in the Thetis. :)

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Wow I’m curious to know if/how you are able to tame the 7900x in the Thetis. :)
If it doesn't work with my Dark Rock Pro 3 i might go with a 240mm AIO. I am thinking since there are space constraints it might limit the ability of the fans to intake air since the psu is so close. Anywho, we are taking over a NCASE thread someone should create a thetis thread to continue this conversation if there already isn't one.

Reactions: Biowarejak

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Thus your wait is almost finished as Cerberus-x will be released in serial pretty soon..:D
Don’t tease me like this. My emotions can’t take it.

Edit: November release now wow. I still like the design of this ncase much better and still going to hope and hold out but we will see.

Reactions: Nasp

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Don’t tease me like this. My emotions can’t take it.

Edit: November release now wow. I still like the design of this ncase much better and still going to hope and hold out but we will see.
We will see how market will welcome cerberus/cerberus-x..;)

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I appreciate everyone's thoughts. IMO the M5 layout is hard to beat for what it sets out to do. I doubt I'll be able to come up with anything much better.

BTW, anyone see the new ASUS workstation board? I kind of want to make the M5 just to see someone cram one in...

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
I appreciate everyone's thoughts. IMO the M5 layout is hard to beat for what it sets out to do. I doubt I'll be able to come up with anything much better.

BTW, anyone see the new ASUS workstation board? I kind of want to make the M5 just to see someone cram one in...

Or.....you could make it for the thousands of people that want a sleek SFF ATX case and want to keep supporting the Ncase brand! ;)

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2017

For this, instead of the standard 8in wide case, I'd want a ~14x14x5 ... lay two 240mm rads parallel to the mobo, and a GPU parallel as well. You could lay all 3 side by side in a 13x10in space and somehow still fit a small SFX PSU in there.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
The M5 would fit an EEB board??
Well, I should be cautious here, because I haven't examined the EEB spec. Wikipedia says the rear I/O is the same as ATX, but some of the standoffs are different (which I've confirmed by comparing the pic of the board with my reference ATX motherboard model). Physically, though, there's just enough space for it. There's about 3mm between the front fans and the edge of a 330mm deep EEB board.

Could you still water cool?
Kind of. Top 240 rad should work the same as it would with ATX (i.e., blocking some PCIe slots), but a front 280 is definitely out. Front 240 is probably out too, since it would overlap the front of the board, and the three foremost RAM slots would most likely interfere.

So maybe you could do a thick 240 rad CPU-only loop, with the rad in the top. Wouldn't be ideal temps, considering the potential TDP of dual server/HEDT CPUs, but for the size? It'd be pretty power-dense.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Yeah that would definitely be something. One of the largest boards in a case that's traditionally the size of Mini ITX. I'd say then you need to put 7 of those single slot 1070s in there, but you'd need a massive ATX PSU, which I'm guessing won't fit with the wide board.

Necere, on a more serious note, have you given any thought to drive placement?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah that would definitely be something. One of the largest boards in a case that's traditionally the size of Mini ITX. I'd say then you need to put 7 of those single slot 1070s in there, but you'd need a massive ATX PSU, which I'm guessing won't fit with the wide board.
The only possibility for an ATX PSU with such a board would be at the back, positioned over the CPU area.

Necere, on a more serious note, have you given any thought to drive placement?
Well, I've previously mentioned a drive cage that could be attached to the front or top rails. That takes up one 120x120mm "slot" on the rails, though, so it's either/or with fans/rads/PSU for any given "slot" (of which there are four in total). That cage would mainly be for 3.5" HDD mounting, however.

For 2.5" drives, the floor of the case is a possibility, as is the space just ahead of the motherboard, or possibly behind the motherboard tray. Haven't worked all that out, though.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Seems to be enough identically placed holes to keep it fairly secure in an ATX case. Now we just need the M5, this $1000 board, and two of those 28-core $13,000 Xeons to break a Cinebench record and then proceed to use the system for nothing but web browsing. :D

I wonder what the intended use of those PCIe slots is. It's not like you can fit 7 graphics cards unless they are single slot ones, but why would a server need that. Also, for having 96 PCIe lanes, the board only has one M.2. 3 U.2 though, which as far as I know only the Intel 750 series uses.

Those sockets are comically large, you can bet there aren't waterblocks or Asetek brackets for them. You'd probably have to make one. What am I even talking about.......

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Those sockets are comically large, you can bet there aren't waterblocks or Asetek brackets for them. You'd probably have to make one. What am I even talking about.......
I thought one was in the works but I could be mistaken.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Now we just need the M5, this $1000 board, and two of those 28-core $13,000 Xeons to break a Cinebench record

STH already has you beat

wonder what the intended use of those PCIe slots is. It's not like you can fit 7 graphics cards unless they are single slot ones, but why would a server need that. Also, for having 96 PCIe lanes

PCIe SSD storage, 100GbE networking or FPGA based machine learning come to mind

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
STH already has you beat

I call that cheating. :D For something to count as a computer it has to be a on a single board, that's my definition. Otherwise, Google or IBM could use one of their supercomputers to complete the Cinebench test in 10^-20 seconds.

PCIe SSD storage, 100GbE networking or FPGA based machine learning come to mind

That makes sense, explains the lack of M.2 as PCIe is probably the standard in servers.

Sorry for digressing from topic...

Last edited: