Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hi Guys, I'm interested in buying the Cerberus, but have few questions. I currently run a mITX system, but want to move slightly bigger to a mATX case. The plan for the machine is to either use Unraid or aster multiseat software to create an all in one system that will allow for 2 people to use the computer at the same time (each using their own dedicated gpu). With unraid I might go further and run something like pihole and/or utilize its data management/backup capability.

My questions are:
1. Does the 4 2.5 ssd drive bracket (shown on the Sliger website) fit 4 2.5" hdd? Ideally I'd like to have at least 4 hdds in the Cerberus, but not lose all fan capability at the bottom of the case...maybe 4 2.5" hdds would only take up half the bottom?
2. Is getting the second side panel vented worth it? I'd like extra air flow, but it seems the majority of the flow would be blocked. Maybe some benefits to cooling an underside M2 drive?
3. Does anyone keep their Cerberus on the floor? I'm also looking to reclaim desk space by putting my case below or to side of my desk. Wondering if this could be a cooling issue.
Welcome!
For 2.5" drive you have 2 slots behind SFX psu (front position). Afterwards you can put side either on bottom front or side bracket.
No issue to put Cerberus-X on the floor.

I've actually just answered my own question thanks to this great build writeup: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/FPNqqs.

For anybody else looking for info on this, yes 92mm fans easily fit along the top w/ the top mount bracket.
Welcome and thanks for sharing your feedback!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
@xredlinexx1 one important point, if you put Cerberus on ground, avoid all surface like carpet. All solid surface are ok. Cerberus cooling performance is identical in either vertical or horizontal stands.

Reactions: xredlinexx1

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
If you mount an sfx-l psu on the back position (over the motherboard), are you limited to certain aio pumps by thickness? I'm wondering if an ekwb 120mm aio pump will hit the psu.

Also, what fan sizes are you limited to below the top handle, with a psu above the mobo? Can a 25mm fit or just a 15mm? Thanks!

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
If you mount an sfx-l psu on the back position (over the motherboard), are you limited to certain aio pumps by thickness? I'm wondering if an ekwb 120mm aio pump will hit the psu.

Also, what fan sizes are you limited to below the top handle, with a psu above the mobo? Can a 25mm fit or just a 15mm? Thanks!
Answering some of my own questions after looking at the specs section on the website.

TLN

Average Stuffer
Mar 9, 2020

It should fit just fine with ATX PSU. Even more space with SFX.
Just 15.

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
It should fit just fine with ATX PSU. Even more space with SFX.

Just 15.
Thanks!

One last question that I can't seem to find an answer to. I'm looking to have 4 2.5" hdds in the case for a mini nas. I can mount 2 next to the motherboard. The other 2 i'm trying to figure out where to put. I can buy the 2 x 2.5" ssd bracket (will it fit 2.5" hdds?) and mount the drives to the side hinge bracket next to the psu. Or, what i'm curious about is the 2 2.5" ssd window bracket. Can the window bracket hold 2.5" hdds without hitting the case side panel (vented, not window)? If it fits, is there still clearance for a 240mm aio on the front panel and 2 120x15mm fans on the bottom? The pictures kinda look like its possible.

Thanks!

kecoal2

Caliper Novice
May 6, 2018
Ended up going with the moddiy cables which came out really good! I can fit another 120/140mm fan on my AIO on the just the top half of it. Hopefully this should clear up some of the airflow issues I have.

Yes the hinge should be able to fit the 2.5inch hdd bracket just fine. It sits on the inside. Just be aware your main restriction will be PSU cable lengths in that area. I have an ATX PSU and only just after getting shorter cables will I be able to fit my old 2.5inch drives on the side hinge bracket.

As for the window bracket there is enough clearance to fit them there with 140mm fans and an AIO. I don't own it for sure but I think it can work!

Anyone done a USB-C Mod or a know a USB-C cable that can fit on the stock front I/O?

TLN

Average Stuffer
Mar 9, 2020
One last question that I can't seem to find an answer to. I'm looking to have 4 2.5" hdds in the case for a mini nas. I can mount 2 next to the motherboard. The other 2 i'm trying to figure out where to put. I can buy the 2 x 2.5" ssd bracket (will it fit 2.5" hdds?) and mount the drives to the side hinge bracket next to the psu. Or, what i'm curious about is the 2 2.5" ssd window bracket. Can the window bracket hold 2.5" hdds without hitting the case side panel (vented, not window)? If it fits, is there still clearance for a 240mm aio on the front panel and 2 120x15mm fans on the bottom? The pictures kinda look like its possible.

Plenty of space to mount 2.5" drives. You can stack em (2x2) and mount on the bottom or side hinge. You can stack all four and mount on either side.
I mounted mine on the front panel using some spacers for better airflow/cooling.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
As a quick update, I just made the finishing touches to my build! As I may have noted earlier, I got struck by the DOA monster where my ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero had defective memory slots. The long story short, new stock of the Dark Hero came in at my local store, so I jumped at the opportunity to avoid waiting for weeks and weeks for a warranty replacement. By seemingly the skin of my teeth, I managed to catch the RMA'ed motherboard in transit with a shipping intercept with only a day to spare and I was able to get a return extension to 30 days with Micro Center. Whew! Within a matter of very hectic and fast-paced few days, it was out with the old and in with the new.

In the midst of this store return madness of my defective motherboard, I also took the opportunity to tweak my fan setup to all matching 15mm slim fans, model ID-COOLING NO-12015-XT-ARGB. @MarcParis had a solid recommendation because, like people on Reddit have claimed, I found that they really do cool as well as my Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM fan in my HTPC. With all four ARGB fans in the front and top positions as well as the CPU's Corsair H100i RGB Platinum 240-mm AIO at steadily breathing fresh air into the case, things could not be better and it is cool as ever! The temperatures are a night-and-day improvement over my original old Ncase M1, which was a hot box and loud mouth. My RTX 3090 Founders Edition idles at a cool upper 40 to low 50 degrees Celsius, only nudging into the mid 60 to the very low 70 degree range under power virus loads.

Indeed, I am one happy camper. But alas, like @MarcParis forewarned me, I am far from finished with this modifiable "king of polyvalence." Just this week, I already swapped in a custom modDIY NVIDIA mini 12-pin power cable that just so happened to pop up second hand on eBay. (I had been looking high and low for one because modDIY has been closed for the Lunar New Year until the tail end of February, but there was that eBay listing, right when I wanted it, so perfect timing.) So I have spruced up the PCIe power cable mess. I am now considering getting @Thehack's M2426 to further whittle down the internal power cable count by switching from my SF750's stock 24-pin ATX motherboard power cable to a mere six wires. Oh, and what's more is I will be soon receiving a "shuckable" 14TB hard drive from B&H Photo Video that I will be mounting on my side hinge bracket so I can store my entire Launchbox arcade and video game collection.

Oh, the case conundrum is a never-ending adventure with all sorts of twists and turns. And to bring along this adventure everywhere the wind may take me, this fully ATX compatible case can easily fit nestled inside my airlines approved Cabin Max Metz Extra backpack. In the meantime, photos of this completed build are coming soon!

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
As a quick update, I just made the finishing touches to my build! As I may have noted earlier, I got struck by the DOA monster where my ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero had defective memory slots. The long story short, new stock of the Dark Hero came in at my local store, so I jumped at the opportunity to avoid waiting for weeks and weeks for a warranty replacement. By seemingly the skin of my teeth, I managed to catch the RMA'ed motherboard in transit with a shipping intercept with only a day to spare and I was able to get a return extension to 30 days with Micro Center. Whew! Within a matter of very hectic and fast-paced few days, it was out with the old and in with the new.

In the midst of this store return madness of mydefective motherboard, I also took the opportunity to tweak my fan setup to all matching 15mm slim fans, model ID-COOLING NO-12015-XT-ARGB. @MarcParis had a solid recommendation because, like people on Reddit have claimed, I found that they really do cool as well as my Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM fan in my HTPC. With all four ARGB fans in the front and top positions as well as the CPU's Corsair H100i RGB Platinum 240-mm AIO at steadily breathing fresh air into the case, things could not be better and it is cool as ever! The temperatures are a night-and-day improvement over my original old Ncase M1, which was a hot box and loud mouth. My RTX 3090 Founders Edition idles at a cool upper 40 to low 50 degrees Celsius, only nudging into the mid 60 to the very low 70 degree range under power virus loads.

Indeed, I am one happy camper. But alas, like @MarcParis forewarned me, I am far from finished with this modifiable "king of polyvalence." Just this week, I already swapped in a custom modDIY NVIDIA mini 12-pin power cable that just so happened to pop up second hand on eBay. (I had been looking high and low for one because modDIY has been closed for the Lunar New Year until the tail end of February, but there was that eBay listing, right when I wanted it, so perfect timing.) So I have spruced up the PCIe power cable mess. I am now considering getting @Thehack's M2426 to further whittle down the internal power cable count by switching from my SF750's stock 24-pin ATX motherboard power cable to a mere six wires. Oh, and what's more is I will be soon receiving a "shuckable" 14TB hard drive from B&H Photo Video that I will be mounting on my side hinge bracket so I can store my entire Launchbox arcade and video game collection.

Oh, the case conundrum is a never-ending adventure with all sorts of twists and turns. And to bring along this adventure everywhere the wind may take me, this fully ATX compatible case can easily fit nestled inside my airlines approved Cabin Max Metz Extra backpack. In the meantime, photos of this completed build are coming soon!
Glad you are delighted with Cerberus-X!
It's only the beginning..:):)

Don't hesitate to share some photos of your build!

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Don't hesitate to share some photos of your build!
Thanks! I just did some essential cable decluttering. Before a few minutes ago, the top area was an absolute mess of cabling spaghetti from the ATX motherboard 24-pin and NVIDIA mini 12-pin power cables. All trim and tidied up, I actually brought my 3090’s idle temperatures down a few degrees. Looking to the future, I still want to do something about the ARGB and Corsair AIO cables up top. Aside from that, I am now quite satisfied with how my build looks.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks! I just did some essential cable decluttering. Before a few minutes ago, the top area was an absolute mess of cabling spaghetti from the ATX motherboard 24-pin and NVIDIA mini 12-pin power cables. All trim and tidied up, I actually brought my 3090’s idle temperatures down a few degrees. Looking to the future, I still want to do something about the ARGB and Corsair AIO cables up top. Aside from that, I am now quite satisfied with how my build looks.

Very good setup!! Nice looking...a bit too shiny for my personal taste...I guess is good too..:)
I guess we will be able to compare RTX 3090 FE...with my CL530..:)

This gpu has to be tamed..:) Just make sure to monitor gddr6x temperature with latest hwinfo..:)

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020

I gotta say.... I like my U9S but that looks quite pretty and makes me consider AIO.

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I gotta say.... I like my U9S but that looks quite pretty and makes me consider AIO.
Thanks! I lucked out too because this Corsair closed loop (H100i RGB Platinum) I had on hand has tubing that is just long enough to snake under and around to the CPU socket mounting area. One point of interest is the 120mm ARGB thin fan in the front bottom position has virtually no wiggle room between its outer frame and the RTX 3090 Founders Edition. There it is slightly tight but not worryingly so. If I had used actual screws instead of these rubber screws, though, which add some 1mm to 1.5mm of thickness from their built-in washers, this ARGB fan would probably have 0.5-1.0mm clearance between it and the GPU's back edge. The issue with that is almost a catch 22: these ID Cooling fans will scrape the mounting surface in pull configuration if mounted directly, so they need a washer to give them at least a hair's breadth of clearance away from that mounting surface. So I opted for the simpler and more convenient rubber screws.

Last edited:
Reactions: sn0man

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
What direction (intake exhaust) do you have all of your fans set to?
One point of interest is the 120mm ARGB thin fan in the front bottom position has virtually no wiggle room between its outer frame and the RTX 3090 Founders Edition. There it is slightly tight but not worryingly so. If I had used actual screws instead of these rubber screws, though, which add some 1mm to 1.5mm of thickness from their built-in washers, this ARGB fan would probably have 0.5-1.0mm clearance between it and the GPU's back edge.
I'm still refreshing best-buy trying to nab a 3080FE myself. I won't have quite the narrow gap issues. I have some rubber screw substitutes myself but I paid the Brown tax for them. They work fine but they're pretty pricey.

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
What direction (intake exhaust) do you have all of your fans set to?

I'm still refreshing best-buy trying to nab a 3080FE myself. I won't have quite the narrow gap issues. I have some rubber screw substitutes myself but I paid the Brown tax for them. They work fine but they're pretty pricey.
My fan configuration is front intake and top exhaust. It works very well and it is almost comical to think that if the 3090 FE was only a smidgen longer, the thin fans wouldn’t fit. A 3080 FE, by the way, is a totally different animal. It is about 40-50mm shorter than the 3090 FR if memory serves me well, so you should reasonably be able to fit standard 25mm fans in the front. The top mounts, on the other hand, are dependent wholly on the height and location of your motherboard’s VRM heatsinks (if any). My motherboard (ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero) most definitely would not fit anything thicker than a slim 120mm fan.

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
My fan configuration is front intake and top exhaust. It works very well and it is almost comical to think that if the 3090 FE was only a smidgen longer, the thin fans wouldn’t fit. A 3080 FE, by the way, is a totally different animal. It is about 40-50mm shorter than the 3090 FR if memory serves me well, so you should reasonably be able to fit standard 25mm fans in the front. The top mounts, on the other hand, are dependent wholly on the height and location of your motherboard’s VRM heatsinks (if any). My motherboard (ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero) most definitely would not fit anything thicker than a slim 120mm fan.
I feel like Rev 2 of cerberus should eat the penalties and go a little taller to fit more top AIO options and regular sized fans. Maybe I'm the only one that would be willing to deal with 20-30mm more height.