Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

whatmatrix

Case Bender
New User
Jan 18, 2021
Hi, I'm very intrigued to Cerberus X for my Threadripper build. I would like to check if all my components fits before purchasing.

Here's the list of components.

Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master E-ATX MB.
Enermax LIQTECH TR4 II 280 AIO CPU Cooler.
SilverStone SX800-LTI SFX-L Power Supply.

Possibly a 120mm or 140mm Noctua fan on front.
Possibly a 92mm fan on rear.

Thanks!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hi, I'm very intrigued to Cerberus X for my Threadripper build. I would like to check if all my components fits before purchasing.

Here's the list of components.

Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master E-ATX MB.
Enermax LIQTECH TR4 II 280 AIO CPU Cooler.
SilverStone SX800-LTI SFX-L Power Supply.

Possibly a 120mm or 140mm Noctua fan on front.
Possibly a 92mm fan on rear.

Thanks!
Welcome!

TRX40 eATX MB (only +2cm width vs standard ATX), SX800 LTI (rear mounting point) are fitting Cerberus-X.

Liqtech TR4 280 should fit inside Cerberus-X in front position...but it will depend on your GPU length.

whatmatrix

Case Bender
New User
Jan 18, 2021
Welcome!

TRX40 eATX MB (only +2cm width vs standard ATX), SX800 LTI (rear mounting point) are fitting Cerberus-X.

Liqtech TR4 280 should fit inside Cerberus-X in front position...but it will depend on your GPU length.
Thanks MarcParis for a quick answer!

Given that TRX40 eATX mb is only +2cm compared standard ATX, would SX800 fit in front position? I guess if it does not work, I may go with a standard ATX mb.

For the AIO cooler, does 280mm cooler fit on the bottom position? I would not want to sacrifice a GPU length for this. If 280mm won't work, I guess I can go with 240mm to be safer.

Uruk

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2019
I wouldn't recommend to install the AIO in the bottom, even if it fits. A lot more noise from pump, and lifespan will be shortened significantly. I tried Corsairs H100i Pro in mine, and changed rapidly to the NH-C14S because the pump noise.

Krailor

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 21, 2020
I'm thinking about making a custom AIO using a dual 92mm rad and Eisbaer LT and hang it off the side hinge. Unfortunately I'll only be able to attach it at the top since the hinge doesn't have cutouts to support 92mm fans.

Looking at the measurements it should fit there and still leave room for a front mounted power supply.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks MarcParis for a quick answer!

Given that TRX40 eATX mb is only +2cm compared standard ATX, would SX800 fit in front position? I guess if it does not work, I may go with a standard ATX mb.

For the AIO cooler, does 280mm cooler fit on the bottom position? I would not want to sacrifice a GPU length for this. If 280mm won't work, I guess I can go with 240mm to be safer.
As far as I remembered, SFX front position is not compatible with e-ATX. (just checked physically in my Cerberus-X)
If you go to ATX, you will keep TRX40 platform?

Otherwise, bottom 280mm radiator is theorically possible but I don't recommend it at all as it's blocking most of bottom i/o. Bottom 240mm radiator is possible but you will face issues as described by @Uruk but on top, it will heavily increase GPU temperature (as it will receive hot exhausted air fro CPU cooler)

For threadripper build, it's difficult to recommend either U9S-TR4 or 645LT for cpu cooling (they are great cooler up to around 120w GPU)..but it's still an option. Other option is to keep rear SFX psu position and front AIO, maybe up to 140mm, in order not to reduce GPU compatibilty.

Last option is to use Iceman pump/radiator block and create a customed loop (in that case bottom rad is ok) like below
Checked back through the last several pages I'd missed to see if anyone had tried it yet. I found some time and installed the Iceman NCASE M1 DDC Pump/Res unit to the back of the mATX Cerberus. Very pleased with the result.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
It's just a 5600x. I'm also debating using a 140mm instead of the dual 92mm. I know it won't really be much, if any, of an improvement over the C14S but I'm kind of bored so...
lol just go for 645LT with rear position...this is best cooling solution with C14S..:)

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Build question: In a Cerberus X, would the tubing of a 240-mm CPU AIO (Corsair H100i RGB Platinum) be able to fit around a 3090 FE and be routed down to that AIO mounted at the bottom?

EDIT: It would seem so for non-X Cerberus with this particular AIO, but I want to be absolutely certain given the cost of my parts:

Update: Yes. It will work. Found a build of a Cerberus X with a 240 Corsair AIO and a 3090 FE. Cables can be routed right under the GPU. Question answered.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Build question: In a Cerberus X, would the tubing of a 240-mm CPU AIO (Corsair H100i RGB Platinum) be able to fit around a 3090 FE and be routed down to that AIO mounted at the bottom?

EDIT: It would seem so for non-X Cerberus with this particular AIO, but I want to be absolutely certain given the cost of my parts:

Update: Yes. It will work. Found a build of a Cerberus X with a 240 Corsair AIO and a 3090 FE. Cables can be routed right under the GPU. Question answered.

However...hot exhaust air from aio radiator is going to feed RTX 3090...very bad for gpu cooling and noise...

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I will also have two front 120-mm intakes and two top 120-mm exhausts. That should help to keep the temperature at bay for the most part.
Front fan will help gpu temp but GPU will be still 7-8 hotter compared to pure bottom intake (with no radiator). This depends 100% on your workload...if you are playing, just maximize gpu cooling...:)

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I have noticed whispers and accounts (like this above) of pslatecustoms making custom cables for Cerberus and Cerberus X (like this), but I don't seem to see it listed on his website. His website says "If your case or PSU is not listed on our site, we do not currently sell custom cables for it." So are these one-offs where he has offered a one-time exception for certain people? I have been contemplating getting custom cables for my Cerberus X, but it doesn't look hopeful based on this website information that @pslate would do it. I imagine he is pretty slammed with orders from the major uptick in computer building these days which would further reduce my chances.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I have noticed whispers and accounts (like this above) of pslatecustoms making custom cables for Cerberus and Cerberus X (like this), but I don't seem to see it listed on his website. His website says "If your case or PSU is not listed on our site, we do not currently sell custom cables for it." So are these one-offs where he has offered a one-time exception for certain people? I have been contemplating getting custom cables for my Cerberus X, but it doesn't look hopeful based on this website information that @pslate would do it. I imagine he is pretty slammed with orders from the major uptick in computer building these days which would further reduce my chances.
wait & see..:) Always welcome to see some additional features..:)

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Can the Cerberus X fit 2x 120x25mm fans at the top with the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero? I may have made a miscalculation in ordering two EK-Vardar EVO 120ER DRGBs for the top mount bracket. Would the VRM heatsinks obstruct the fans? I will be using an SFX PSU with a rear-mounted bracket. This is what I am aiming for:

Code:
+-----------------------------------------------+
|  +----(top fan mount, 25mm fans, exhaust)---+ |
|  |       120mm     |      |      120mm      | |
|  +-----------------+      +-----------------+ |
+-------------------+                     +--+  |
|                   |                     |  |  |
|                   |                     |  |  |
|      SFX PSU      |                     |  |  |
|                   |                     |  |120x
|                   |                     +--+25mm
+-------------------+                         fans,
|                                         +--+intake
|                                         |  |  |
|                                         |  |  |
| +-----------------------------------+   |  |  |
| |           240mm rad (cpu)         |   |  |  |
| +-----------------------------------+   +--+  |
|        120x25mm fans, intake                  |
+-----------------------------------------------+

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Seems I found my answer. Short answer: no. Longer answer:
There's also no way I could fit 120x25mm fans on top, my nf-a25x15 fans are only a couple mm away from the VRM heatsinks on my Crosshair 7 Hero.

That shoots a hole in that boat, but boats can always be rebuilt. Hopefully now, I can get Performance PC's to cancel and revisit my order with this new revelation. The initial game plan was doing a full RGB fan setup, but I can adjust again. That all said, I wonder what slim RGB fans would work that aren't a total wash in terms of performance?

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Seems I found my answer. Short answer: no. Longer answer:

That shoots a hole in that boat, but boats can always be rebuilt. Hopefully now, I can get Performance PC's to cancel and revisit my order with this new revelation. The initial game plan was doing a full RGB fan setup, but I can adjust again. That all said, I wonder what slim RGB fans would work that aren't a total wash in terms of performance?
As you noticed, only slim fan can be put on top. You don't need really powerful/best fans fans as it's just for exhaust. Try from ID-cooling to find rgb slim 120 fan (same on IS-60 EVO).

Reactions: Hifihedgehog