Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Chromavoid

Caliper Novice
Jun 12, 2019
As promised..:) (quick pictures...not the best pictures ever taken..:))

awesome, thank you so much. Looks like I can just find the right size plexi-glass and tape it on, or I can see if I can get a glass shop to bevel out a perfect fit so the window fits into the cut out on the panel perfectly...
Thanks again

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
awesome, thank you so much. Looks like I can just find the right size plexi-glass and tape it on, or I can see if I can get a glass shop to bevel out a perfect fit so the window fits into the cut out on the panel perfectly...
Thanks again
No issue. Keep us informed..:)

FlexMentallo

Efficiency Noob
Jul 1, 2019
Update on my mystery screw issue - there was an issue on Sliger's end, apparently a very small amount of imperial case screws got mixed in with their metric ones during assembly. After a bunch of attempts I ended up getting the fairly stripped screws out with a lot of elbow grease and jiggling back and forth. Sliger is sending some replacements through.

So getting into the build now - should be smooth sailing from here. Cycling between an SM550 HTPC build for my TV and downsizing my main mATX PC into this Cerberus case.

xingyeqin

Efficiency Noob
Mar 11, 2019
Ok, hold on, maybe you have to see my "previous build" :D

You can fit A LOT of things in this tiny case!

But because I've changed a few things, moved some parts to other builds, I was trying to have s simple solution to replace my custom loop.

Then, maybe is better to use the Corsair one!
How is the performance of the TX240. I read some review of TX360, it works well with low rpm fans.

I'm using BlackIce 240 GTS, and it's really hard to install every part. So I'm thinking about change a GTS to TX240.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
I searched through the thread for references to 280mm radiators and I'm seeing some mixed information. Some people are saying that you can fit a 280mm rad in the front of the Cerberus-X and some people are saying you can't. I know you can fit one in the bottom, but I'd prefer to avoid that scenario as I expect to use an AIO and I don't want air bubbles collecting in the pump. Is there a definitive answer on support for a 280mm AIO mounted in the front of the Cerberus-X?

MuffinCrumbs

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2019
I searched through the thread for references to 280mm radiators and I'm seeing some mixed information. Some people are saying that you can fit a 280mm rad in the front of the Cerberus-X and some people are saying you can't. I know you can fit one in the bottom, but I'd prefer to avoid that scenario as I expect to use an AIO and I don't want air bubbles collecting in the pump. Is there a definitive answer on support for a 280mm AIO mounted in the front of the Cerberus-X?

When I didn't have the PSU to the front, I had Kraken x62 (280mm) and H115i Pro (280mm) radiator to the front. It does indeed work. But it depends on your GFX too. depends how long it is, because it might not get enough access, depending on what card it is.

I got Vega Frontier Edition GFX, it is 267mm. The radiator is 30mm thick, with fans being 25mm thick. I found it to be okay using such config, though, if the card was slightly longer, it wouldn't be a comfy fit.

tl;dr
1. Yes, works on the front side of Cerberus-X
2. you might want to check the GFX length, and other hardware clearance issues with such config.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Bioforce

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
When I didn't have the PSU to the front, I had Kraken x62 (280mm) and H115i Pro (280mm) radiator to the front. It does indeed work. But it depends on your GFX too. depends how long it is, because it might not get enough access, depending on what card it is.

I got Vega Frontier Edition GFX, it is 267mm. The radiator is 30mm thick, with fans being 25mm thick. I found it to be okay using such config, though, if the card was slightly longer, it wouldn't be a comfy fit.

tl;dr
1. Yes, works on the front side of Cerberus-X
2. you might want to check the GFX length, and other hardware clearance issues with such config.

I hope this helps.

Wonderful. Thank you for the concise answer. My GPU is an EVGA 280Ti XC Ultra which I believe is only 270mm long. The website states that the total length of GPU + Fans + Rad should not exceed 330mm, so with my 25mm fans and 30mm rad I should have 5mm of clearance. I'll be using a rear mounted SFX
PSU so that shouldn't be an issue either.

Reactions: MuffinCrumbs

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
With a rear mounted SFX PSU are there any pump/res combos which will fit mounted horizontally from the top 140mm fan on a 55mm thick rad + fan? I'm trying to find a good place to mount one if I go custom liquid cooling.

Edit: Or vertically even, if any are small enough to fit.

Chromavoid

Caliper Novice
Jun 12, 2019
No issue. Keep us informed..:)
well, this was surprisingly easier and cheaper than I anticipated. There is a local store called TAPS Plastics, they sell all sorts of plastics, vinyl etc.. They were able to mill out a piece for the window for $27 and I got a template in the process...
I have the incorrect tape holding everything together, but in the mean time, it functions.
They cut the window so that it sits almost perfectly flush with the outer plane of the case. Really happy witht the results

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
well, this was surprisingly easier and cheaper than I anticipated. There is a local store called TAPS Plastics, they sell all sorts of plastics, vinyl etc.. They were able to mill out a piece for the window for $27 and I got a template in the process...
I have the incorrect tape holding everything together, but in the mean time, it functions.
They cut the window so that it sits almost perfectly flush with the outer plane of the case. Really happy witht the results

Looks great!
Based on my experience, as Cerberus side panel is quite easy to bend (I don't mean physically) during removal process, it's putting a lot of pressure on tape.
At the end, tape didn't hold plexi panel in some area.

Also I noted that GPU heat (GTX1080ti overclocked that can generate something like 300w) is able to deform plexi panel (putting even more effort on tape).

Finally I came to original vented aluminium panel as I was fed up to put back plexi panel in place..;)

sjug

Cable Smoosher
Mar 8, 2018
We will have both Cerberus and Cerberus X on display at QuakeCon, along with a coupon code for our site. Come by and visit!

So 2 days into QuakeCon, how about this coupon code? I hope it's not that $15 off coupon. Even less than the $17.76 independence day sale...
You guys really know how to motivate me to not spend money. :thumb:

Myscion

Minimal Tinkerer
Jul 30, 2019
I just entered the marked for a new rig since my 4790K isn't up to snuff anymore and the cerberus looks like the perfect MATX case. I've always bought cheap cases but it's time to buy a quality case for once. It's a real shame they stopped selling it in red. It really was a beautiful shade.

Any pitfalls to be aware of? Planing to use a 650W PSU paired with either a 3700X or 3900X in the matx cerberus.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
maybe to rephrase: the only mATX x570 board isn't good for 12c CPUs and above ._.

probably go for a better built mATX board on X470 or ITX/DTX on X570

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
I just entered the marked for a new rig since my 4790K isn't up to snuff anymore and the cerberus looks like the perfect MATX case. I've always bought cheap cases but it's time to buy a quality case for once. It's a real shame they stopped selling it in red. It really was a beautiful shade.

Any pitfalls to be aware of? Planing to use a 650W PSU paired with either a 3700X or 3900X in the matx cerberus.

As the others have pointed out, MATX is becoming a dead form factor. The industry has simply stopped caring about it. You may be better off going with the Cerberus-X rather than the Cerberus. It's only about 1.5 liters larger, but accommodates up to E-ATX motherboards, though ATX is recommended since E-ATX can have compatibility issues depending on your setup. On top of that, the Carmine Red color that you want is still available for the Cerberus-X and at a $20 discount.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Any pitfalls to be aware of?

As far as issues go, there isn't too many things to worry about with the Cerberus cases as their compatibility level is huge. The only real concern that I have is that they have very limited exhaust, so you should do everything you can to maximize exhaust options. If you get the handle for the case, you can fit a slim fan on handle's mounting hardware. If you DON'T get the handle, make sure you purchase the "Top Mount Bracket" as it allows you to fit two slim fans up top. If you use the front mounted PSU setup, I believe you can also have a 92mm fan in the rear.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
As the others have pointed out, MATX is becoming a dead form factor. The industry has simply stopped caring about it.
we've yet to see how the motherboard vendors would deal with Intel's next release ._. it'll be pretty conclusive when the X570 story happens there as well.

You may be better off going with the Cerberus-X rather than the Cerberus. It's only about 1.5 liters larger, but accommodates up to E-ATX motherboards, though ATX is recommended since E-ATX can have compatibility issues depending on your setup.
(i mean this advice has to apply generally everywhere, but) take note of the additional length away from the ATX outline when dealing with EATX boards and cases. most boards do specify board dimensions, but cases are a completely on/off thing.

CX provisions for 335mm wide boards (91mm away from the ATX outline), with about an additional 25mm (24.92mm on paper) between that edge and the front vented wall (might be tight for a 25mm fan).

It's great on companies that did what Sliger has done for EATX accommodations/definitions, but not many go further from "supports EATX boards" ._.
(although I hear there's a standoff positional difference between EATX and SSI-CEB boards, so...)

what's worse in this situation is that PCPP stopped showing cases that's under the 330mm allowance for EATX boards ._. considering there are EATX motherboards that are under 330mm (a PCB button and a few 7-segment displays can't be that long)

lomskat404

Chassis Packer
Mar 12, 2018
Hello everyone,

I happen to have a Cerberus case for sale. Shipping only to EU from Poland. Shipping price is around 20 euroes, usually less.

Case in pristine condition, without any modifications. Sent in the original box and with everything included. A bequiet! silent wings 92mm fan included for free.

My current asking price is 230 euroes (shipping included), but it is negotiable.

PM me if you're interested or if you want more pictures.

Picture below:

Chromavoid

Caliper Novice
Jun 12, 2019
Looks great!
Based on my experience, as Cerberus side panel is quite easy to bend (I don't mean physically) during removal process, it's putting a lot of pressure on tape.
At the end, tape didn't hold plexi panel in some area.

Also I noted that GPU heat (GTX1080ti overclocked that can generate something like 300w) is able to deform plexi panel (putting even more effort on tape).

Finally I came to original vented aluminium panel as I was fed up to put back plexi panel in place..;)
Thankfully I have not had any serious thermals to create any issues. My EVGA 2080 doesnt run very warm. I am aware of the panels wanting to slightly bend. Its annoying honestly and one of my only gripes about the case. I appreciate the firm connection all the panels have but man, its hard to pop them off at times lol. I'm getting some PSlate cables in a couple weeks so I will revisit my utilitarian cable management and update with some images.

One question for all users: I have 2 x 12x25 intake fans on the bottom of the case. One 12x15 intake on the lower front and an exhaust fan in the back. My Motherboard only has 2 fan connections, one the dedicated chassis fan connection and the other being the water pump connection. How would you wire these?? I have 2-1 and 3-1 splitters available. I think the water pump connection sets the fan speed at 1000 and it stays there if Im not mistaken. Should I use all intake fans with the 3-1 splitter and connect it to the chassis fan contact so I can adjust them and connect the exhaust fan to the water pump contact and just let it stay at 1000 rpm? Currently I dont recall how I have them set up, likely whatever was cleaner and easier to wire.