Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
For people who want multiple radiator setups, don't forget that if you're using a block on the CPU and SFX/SFX-L up front, you can fit a decently-thick 140mm radiator on the side. It should perform pretty close to a thinner 240mm one, and it will be substantially more practical to install and live with. Plus, you still have room up front for a fan, or storage, depending,

When I consider the build I might do, even when watercooling a CPU and two graphics cards, my personal opinion is that a 240mm on the bottom and a 140mm on the side is the ideal arrangement. You may want two 240mm radiators if you're hell-bent on serious overclocking, but no matter how you do it, it will be a tight fit.

Vidjagames72

Chassis Packer
Apr 5, 2016
For people who want multiple radiator setups, don't forget that if you're using a block on the CPU and SFX/SFX-L up front, you can fit a decently-thick 140mm radiator on the side. It should perform pretty close to a thinner 240mm one, and it will be substantially more practical to install and live with. Plus, you still have room up front for a fan, or storage, depending,

Part of the reason I'm not looking at this option is I want to try hardline tubing and I picture trying to do that on that side bracket would be massively difficult. Maybe it wouldn't be as dificult as I picture it.

Also doing it the way I'm thinking I already have a ATX power supply and won't have to change it to SFX

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Part of the reason I'm not looking at this option is I want to try hardline tubing and I picture trying to do that on that side bracket would be massively difficult. Maybe it wouldn't be as dificult as I picture it.

Also doing it the way I'm thinking I already have a ATX power supply and won't have to change it to SFX

If you build this, please share photos! That sounds awesome :)

That said, measure five times and buy once. That sort of arrangement should be possible, but you're making an already-challenging build all the more so by forgoing the forgiving nature of flexible tubing!

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
This is probably the dumbest question I'll ask all day. Just how much tubing would I need? It's a tiny case with a single loop between the cpu, gpu, and dual rads. 3 meters is more than sufficient yes? How thick of a side rad are we talking about here? I never even considered that an option; this entire time I've been working around putting the psu there and trying to cram all the components everywhere else. Captain Hindsight would be ashamed lol

Vidjagames72

Chassis Packer
Apr 5, 2016
3 meters is more than sufficient yes? How thick of a side rad are we talking about here?

Should be more than enough tubing (and have quite a bit left over)

If you go as thick as an ATX power supply they are 86mm thick. Take away 25mm for the fan and that gives you enough room for a 60mm thick rad (61mm would match the psu thickness)

Last edited:

MunneY

Caliper Novice
Feb 14, 2016
youtube.com
This is probably the dumbest question I'll ask all day. Just how much tubing would I need? It's a tiny case with a single loop between the cpu, gpu, and dual rads. 3 meters is more than sufficient yes? How thick of a side rad are we talking about here? I never even considered that an option; this entire time I've been working around putting the psu there and trying to cram all the components everywhere else. Captain Hindsight would be ashamed lol

As cheap as tubing is... just buy way too much.

If you tell me what size fittings you'll use I might have some I can give you if by our pay shipping.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
A quick update - things are moving along quickly! For those who were inquiring about having a custom color done, we've gotten a tentative "yes" on that from our manufacturer. We'll get an estimate for a price range relatively soon.

Beyond that, discussions have been very productive, and we're quite close to putting signatures on paper. From that point forward, we can spend less time with administrative stuff, and it's all cylinders firing to get everything lined up for production.

Reactions: Phuncz

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
We will be limited to the manufacturer's palette, yes? Hopefully they have something close to Pantone 453 because Tamiya doesn't carry anything of the sort.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
We will be limited to the manufacturer's palette, yes? Hopefully they have something close to Pantone 453 because Tamiya doesn't carry anything of the sort.

Theoretically, no. They have a powder coat line, so you can use different brands and kinds of paint - it's just that some might cost more than others. So unless you picked out a particularly exotic paint, I don't see why they couldn't make it work.

I will note that all the paints we'll be providing as standard are specifically chosen for their durability, however, as well as their very nice finish and rich color. When we say "industrial grade", we mean it - these same coatings go on outdoor installations and industrial appliances.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Good news, So custom colors (that are in demand with the manufacturer) will be generally small or no extra cost ? What kind of witchcraft is this ?!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Non-standard powder coats will be an extra charge. Non-stocked powders will need to be ordered of course. But even if it's something they have in stock, if it's not a commonly used color there will be an extra charge because the powder coating booth and equipment will needed cleaned and prepped for that one case.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Good news, So custom colors (that are in demand with the manufacturer) will be generally small or no extra cost ? What kind of witchcraft is this ?!

Non-standard powder coats will be an extra charge. Non-stocked powders will need to be ordered of course. But even if it's something they have in stock, if it's not a commonly used color there will be an extra charge because the powder coating booth and equipment will needed cleaned and prepped for that one case.

For any custom colors, you're paying for the labor and setup costs of painting your enclosure. For a whole bunch of them that's minimal because it's a cost that's spread out across many orders, but for just one enclosure it isn't insignificant. Even if twenty people order a particular custom color, that's going to be more expensive than a "standard" color by many orders of magnitude (5-10x +). And we don't really expect to see a lot of overlap there anyways.

(I suppose one thing we _could_ do is offer a selection of "custom order" colors so as to encourage people to cluster around those, which should lower costs, but I don't know how effective that would be.)

Furthermore, even looking past the effort aspect, they might not even stock a color someone wants to order. If that's the case, they have to order the color, and they can only do that in minimum quantities that greatly exceed how much paint the enclosure actually needs. Granted, paint isn't super-expensive in general, but some paints cost a lot more than others. But some paints require special preparation or other accommodations to adhere properly, which demand additional labor and time, and consequently additional expense.

TLDR: No matter what custom color you do, there's going to be a significant additional expense. It's just variable because a paint they have and are familiar with will be cheaper than one they have to buy and then learn about. But I'd be very surprised if a custom color - that is, you get to pick the exact paint and hue - was less than $100 or so. We'll have a range to report back to you all by the time you can order, but it will be a case-by-case sort of thing.

(Still, you have to admit that, if we can offer this, that's pretty awesome. A case that's literally any color you want.)

Looks like it's available on the UK for around ~£383, not a huge amount more than a 1TB 850 Pro.

That's basically the price of a 512GB 950 PRO, for a drive that's higher-performance and double the storage (In dollar terms, at least - USD is very strong right now).

Man, I hope that's still true a month or two from now, if I decide to build. That's a no-brainer for my build :eek: I have no clue why TOSHIBA hasn't released this to the public.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Man, I hope that's still true a month or two from now, if I decide to build. That's a no-brainer for my build :eek: I have no clue why TOSHIBA hasn't released this to the public.
It's a double-sided drive, so will have compatibility issues with many m.2 slots on consumer boards (which often are restricted to single-sided drives). The upcoming 1Tb 950 Pro m.2 is awaiting higher density NAND to enable single-sided population for this reason.
As for the XG3 itself, it is supposedly coming as a consumer drive branded as the OCZ RevoDrive 400.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
TLDR: No matter what custom color you do, there's going to be a significant additional expense. It's just variable because a paint they have and are familiar with will be cheaper than one they have to buy and then learn about. But I'd be very surprised if a custom color - that is, you get to pick the exact paint and hue - was less than $100 or so. We'll have a range to report back to you all by the time you can order, but it will be a case-by-case sort of thing.
Ah OK, I misunderstood that non-standard colors were now possible for a more reasonable price like 50-75$.

That's basically the price of a 512GB 950 PRO, for a drive that's higher-performance and double the storage (In dollar terms, at least - USD is very strong right now).
It's quite a bit more:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/512...sd-ubx-3d-v-nand-read-2500mb-s-write-1500mb-s
£382.80 vs £249.90

But that's very reasonable price per GB ! It will put the pressure on the 512GB Samsung, but I'm curious how much a performance hit the 512GB Toshiba takes.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's quite a bit more:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/512...sd-ubx-3d-v-nand-read-2500mb-s-write-1500mb-s
£382.80 vs £249.90

But that's very reasonable price per GB ! It will put the pressure on the 512GB Samsung, but I'm curious how much a performance hit the 512GB Toshiba takes.

I stand corrected! I compared the dollar price on Newegg in the US ($317 currently) to the euro price of the Toshiba in dollar terms, but I must have done it wrong because it's $430 currently.

I'd still much prefer the Toshiba over the Samsung, though, given the price-per-GB (as you mention) as well as the fact that I can't really fit everything I'd like to store locally in 512 GB, sadly.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
The CPU cooler height of 142mm coincides with the Noctua NH-C14S height and almost exactly matches the Phanteks PH-TC14CS too (140.5 mm) and without the side bracket, the Thermalright True Spirit 120M fits as well but AFAIK no other 120mm cooler will as they are at least 150mm. You might want to add this to the page :)

When listing the advantages of mATX you might want to mention LGA 2011 w/ 4 RAM slots. Such motherboards are quite a fit for this case...

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The CPU cooler height of 142mm coincides with the Noctua NH-C14S height and almost exactly matches the Phanteks PH-TC14CS too (140.5 mm) and without the side bracket, the Thermalright True Spirit 120M fits as well but AFAIK no other 120mm cooler will as they are at least 150mm.

The C14S does fit, I'm currently using it and I've test fitted the Cyrorig H7 which just barely fits with the side bracket removed. I couldn't test performance though since it does not support LGA 2011.

Custom Colours! Wai! So I could get a RAL7016 outer, and a lovely blood red inner? Wai!

Welcome to the forum! I've seen a few people wanting black panels and red frame in the survey. I did a render of it way back and I have to admit it does look nice but offering the frame in anything other than black isn't really feasible as a standard option since there are so many parts.

Cutie DarkFae

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2016
Welcome to the forum! I've seen a few people wanting black panels and red frame in the survey. I did a render of it way back and I have to admit it does look nice but offering the frame in anything other than black isn't really feasible as a standard option since there are so many parts.

Thanks *hugs* So I'd be looking at a really very expensive option. Perhaps I could get non-coated one then? There's plenty of shops here which could powder coat it for me.