Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Well i’ve chosen the last one with apogee drive ii and mcr h220 radiator with gentle typhoon 2150rpm..:)

In your case, you need 240mm radiator just for your cpu. You have to go for air with gpu, if you have several gpu..:)
Thanks! Let’s see next week the first reviews of the new Threadripper and the NVIDIA Quadro event; after I will complete my system. How are the gentle typhoon?

Reactions: MarcParis

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger For the new SSD Display Bracket, what is the maximum thickness 2.5" drive it can support?

I was thinking of mounting 2X 2.5" 5 TB drives; not so much for the display but for clearance for fans.

10mm thick, there might be some play with side panel for an extra 1mm or two.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks! Let’s see next week the first reviews of the new Threadripper and the NVIDIA Quadro event; after I will complete my system. How are the gentle typhoon?
Sure threadripper 2 will be a kick ass cpu..:)
For quadro, let’s see..:)

Dark side gentle typhoon 2150rpm are just best fan for radiator (cooling efficiency and noise). Last sterrox Noctua nf a12x25 are also in same performance/noise range of gentle typhoon.
Choice is simple :
  • If you can manage dc fan and put braid on wires, go for dark side gentle typhoon
  • If you prefer pwm fan, with specific color scheme, go for nf a12x25
Both fans are great...up to you only..;)

Reactions: fabio

FluffyBuddy

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 1, 2018
Hey folks,

So I'm about the pull the trigger and start building a system using the Cerberus-X as the case. I'm hoping to get a sanity check on placement of some parts since I'm used to full size towers...

Parts list to follow. I'm looking to stick the NZXT Kraken X62 on the front of the case. I want to place the AIO cooler for the 1080 Ti on the bottom of the case along with one other intake fan. I want to place one SSD on the side bracket and one spinning disk drive mounted on the top. I plan to use a full size ATX power supply but get some custom cables to cut down on the clutter from long power cables.... The GPU is 266.7mm long, the radiator is ~50mm thick with stock fans attached so that comes in under the max length of 330mm. There are a few unlisted cards that will be taking up more PCIe slots, in the end only the lowest most slot wont be used. I think that covers everything but have I missed anything?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-7940X 3.1GHz 14-Core Processor ($1137.49 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler ($189.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME EATX LGA2066 Motherboard ($633.89 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($644.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Pro 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($229.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - IronWolf 12TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($399.89 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 HYBRID GAMING Video Card ($729.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - Professional 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($199.97 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Other: Cerberus X | The 19.5L ATX / EATX PC Case ($250.00)
Total: $5187.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-09 20:19 EDT-0400

edit: I'm building this to be a portable system to run vMix, Adobe suites, DaVinci, and occasionally play a game of OW.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

FluffyBuddy

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 1, 2018
Might wait till 21st to see if the 1080ti drop in price with the Nvidia event, or just ask Amazon to refund you the price delta within 30 days.

EVGA Hybrid GPUs fit really well, I had a 1070 Hybrid forever - fan was a little noisy, get a Noctua for it.

Other than that it all looks good!

Yeah, I'm on the fence about waiting for the next big announcement and just taking the plunge... there is always going to be the next best thing right around the corner but I don't want to end up waiting forever...

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hey folks,

So I'm about the pull the trigger and start building a system using the Cerberus-X as the case. I'm hoping to get a sanity check on placement of some parts since I'm used to full size towers...

Parts list to follow. I'm looking to stick the NZXT Kraken X62 on the front of the case. I want to place the AIO cooler for the 1080 Ti on the bottom of the case along with one other intake fan. I want to place one SSD on the side bracket and one spinning disk drive mounted on the top. I plan to use a full size ATX power supply but get some custom cables to cut down on the clutter from long power cables.... The GPU is 266.7mm long, the radiator is ~50mm thick with stock fans attached so that comes in under the max length of 330mm. There are a few unlisted cards that will be taking up more PCIe slots, in the end only the lowest most slot wont be used. I think that covers everything but have I missed anything?

Motherboard: Asus - ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME EATX LGA2066 Motherboard ($633.89 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate - IronWolf 12TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($399.89 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 HYBRID GAMING Video Card ($729.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - Professional 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($199.97 @ Newegg)

edit: I'm building this to be a portable system to run vMix, Adobe suites, DaVinci, and occasionally play a game of OW.
Well, i don’t want to be rude, but there are some incompatibilities in your hardware.
  • Kraken x62 pump is 52mm tall, incompatible with side atx psu (48mm)
  • I’m not sure that side atx psu is compatible with side bracket. However you can choose to put 2.5’’ ssd next to motherboard
  • Your atx psu is really long
You can fit all your hardware but with different layout :
  • Go for sfx-l sx800lti psu, mounted on front panel
  • You can go for nzxt x52 or swiftech combo apogee drive ii/h220 mcr with radiator located at bottom
  • On front panel, bottom, you can put your 3.5’’ hdd
In any case, cramming so many hardware in cerberus-x will be quite a challenge...:)

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Sure threadripper 2 will be a kick ass cpu..:)
For quadro, let’s see..:)

Dark side gentle typhoon 2150rpm are just best fan for radiator (cooling efficiency and noise). Last sterrox Noctua nf a12x25 are also in same performance/noise range of gentle typhoon.
Choice is simple :
  • If you can manage dc fan and put braid on wires, go for dark side gentle typhoon
  • If you prefer pwm fan, with specific color scheme, go for nf a12x25
Both fans are great...up to you only..;)
Cool! But wait, the new Dark gentle Typhoon 2150rpm are not PMW? In that case do you think I can use the Noctua Low noise adapter to reduce a bit the speed?
Or is better to buy the 1850rpm PMW version?
Or Maybe the x299 Sage (or wherever) can control the fan voltage?

About the config, do you suggest front in pull or push?
For the sleeving, I will try! :)

Thanks a lot man!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hey folks,

Some comments:

- Double check the clearance with that MB and whatever front mounted Radiator, you could have issues connecting some cables
- Agree that the Corsair 1200W is quite long. Check the Seasonic 1300W or the Prime Ultra 1000W or the SFX-L 800 on the rear if you want the Kraken X62 (I suggest the EVGA in the next line)
- For the AIO, check the EVGA CLC 280, seems to be one of the best
- Not sure about the 3,5” on the top, because of the PSU cable (even custom cables will take space)
- Agree on wait on the GPU, just 2 weeks more!

I think is enough!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Cool! But wait, the new Dark gentle Typhoon 2150rpm are not PMW? In that case do you think I can use the Noctua Low noise adapter to reduce a bit the speed?
Or is better to buy the 1850rpm PMW version?
Or Maybe the x299 Sage (or wherever) can control the fan voltage?

About the config, do you suggest front in pull or push?
For the sleeving, I will try! :)

Thanks a lot man!
I confirm that gt 2150rpm are dc fans only..:) as you mentionned pwm gt 1850rpm are also a great choice..:)
I’m used since years to rely on external usb box to manage properlly my fans (following gpu, cpu , etc...)...thus i’m free to use whatever motherboard. Most known boxes are corsair commander or nzxt grid (even if i prefer corsair commander mini with external software than corsair..:))

For fan orientation, best for cpu temperature is intake. However you need to make sure to have proper exhaust, in order not to overheat others components.
On my personal setup, it took several trials before having best fan setup

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Well, the exhaust will be an issue, then. I have no space for fans on top! I will see when it will be done!

Thanks a lot for now!

Reactions: MarcParis

FluffyBuddy

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 1, 2018
Well, i don’t want to be rude, but there are some incompatibilities in your hardware.
  • Kraken x62 pump is 52mm tall, incompatible with side atx psu (48mm)
  • I’m not sure that side atx psu is compatible with side bracket. However you can choose to put 2.5’’ ssd next to motherboard
  • Your atx psu is really long
You can fit all your hardware but with different layout :
  • Go for sfx-l sx800lti psu, mounted on front panel
  • You can go for nzxt x52 or swiftech combo apogee drive ii/h220 mcr with radiator located at bottom
  • On front panel, bottom, you can put your 3.5’’ hdd
In any case, cramming so many hardware in cerberus-x will be quite a challenge...:)

Great catch on the cooler! I'll rethink what I want to do there... I'm hesitant to do one that specifically requires me adding fluid to it since I am going to be moving this around quite a bit...

The pictures on the Sliger website showed the side rails with an ATX supply, I hope they wouldn't ship something that is incompatible...

The PSU is a bit on the hefty side, I'll take another look at that... the computer has gone through a few iterations since I was first going to run dual Vega 64 in Crossfire with a threadripper CPU, but program optimization convinced me that an i9 with a 1080 Ti (or 2080 Ti perhaps?) is a better choice... so initial power requirements did drop dramatically. Although, if I were to OC the i9 it is not unheard of for it to draw 1000w... :\

Some comments:

- Double check the clearance with that MB and whatever front mounted Radiator, you could have issues connecting some cables
- Agree that the Corsair 1200W is quite long. Check the Seasonic 1300W or the Prime Ultra 1000W or the SFX-L 800 on the rear if you want the Kraken X62 (I suggest the EVGA in the next line)
- For the AIO, check the EVGA CLC 280, seems to be one of the best
- Not sure about the 3,5” on the top, because of the PSU cable (even custom cables will take space)
- Agree on wait on the GPU, just 2 weeks more!

I think is enough!

Man yeah that MB deal... It didn't click in my head that I was planning around an EATX board... doing that and a front mounted cooler is out of the question... I'm going to switch that out.

I'll take a look at some other possible solutions for getting things mounted...

Waiting is so hard! ugh... Damn it NVIDIA!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Great catch on the cooler! I'll rethink what I want to do there... I'm hesitant to do one that specifically requires me adding fluid to it since I am going to be moving this around quite a bit...

The pictures on the Sliger website showed the side rails with an ATX supply, I hope they wouldn't ship something that is incompatible...

The PSU is a bit on the hefty side, I'll take another look at that... the computer has gone through a few iterations since I was first going to run dual Vega 64 in Crossfire with a threadripper CPU, but program optimization convinced me that an i9 with a 1080 Ti (or 2080 Ti perhaps?) is a better choice... so initial power requirements did drop dramatically. Although, if I were to OC the i9 it is not unheard of for it to draw 1000w... :\
For gtx 1080ti or whatever, i strongly suggest you to go on customed aircooled version...performance gap between water and air are now pretty thin..:)
Check my setup as it can show potential configuration.

If you are willing to transport often your cerberus-x, i will strongly recommend to stay on aircooling for everything.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016

Man yeah that MB deal... It didn't click in my head that I was planning around an EATX board... doing that and a front mounted cooler is out of the question... I'm going to switch that out.

I'll take a look at some other possible solutions for getting things mounted...

Waiting is so hard! ugh... Damn it NVIDIA!

I know because I went on the same issues! If you want to stay on the x299, check the ASrock Taichi XE or the Asus X299 WS Sage (No WiFi, but you can use a USB adapter). I will go with this one or with the new Threadripper 2 (waiting for reviews and tests).

@MarcParis, looking at your build, could you confirm one thing? If i put a 30mm radiator and 25mm fans in the bottom, the 6 PCIe slot on the case will be free or not? Can I have my 3 GPU and 1 905p above the radiator and fans?

Last edited:
Reactions: FluffyBuddy

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I know because I went on the same issues! If you want to stay on the x299, check the ASrock Taichi XE or the Asus X299 WS Sage (No WiFi, but you can use a USB adapter). I will go with this one or with the new Threadripper 2 (waiting for reviews and tests).

@MarcParis, looking at your build, could you confirm one thing? If i put a 30mm radiator and 25mm fans in the bottom, the 6 PCIe slot on the case will be free or not? Can I have my 3 GPU and 1 905p above the radiator and fans?
Well, if you want to put 3 gpu and threadripper 2, your main issue will become psu wattage..:)
Check this build from @chemist_slime with threadripper and 4 titan v
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...tx-usa-made-enclosure.454/page-180#post-78461
Side atx psu, front enermax aio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I've just checked physically on my setup.
I confirm that you have 6 pcie port available on top on my radiator. This is a tight fit and beware of tubing also.
Cool! Thanks man! Let’s see in few weeks! Now, finally, holidays!