Production case SX1 6.8L / SX2 7.5L by Custom_MOD

BozoSilvia

Trash Compacter
Sep 14, 2017
So I got my PCIe extender! 250mm works great! Sadly I need to go into work. I will have pictures for you guys tomorrow morning!

BozoSilvia

Trash Compacter
Sep 14, 2017

Here are pics of my 5.9L build. Overall not too many issues other than pushing on the gpu to fit but it fits great! Even with the shroud on!

Specs:
I5 6500
Cryorig C7
Z170i pro gaming
16gb gskill Tridentz
Gtx 1080 Strix OC
Corsair SF600
256Gb m.2

Love the case, love it all! Thank you the sweet case (I ordered no panels as I like the open airflow look)

Reactions: loader963

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
That is sweet. I wish more owners posted their builds either here or in the build logs thread. Any interesting notes during your build?

mholling

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 17, 2017
Here is an album showing my case, which I just received in Australia on November 16, having shipped on October 28. I was in batch 5, so the ship date was delayed about four weeks from what was originally listed; I think that's OK for a semi-custom product such as this.

I'm very happy with the case overall. It's beautifully compact with basically no wasted space. The build actually wasn't that hard, since there are so few components. Mounting the motherboard was straightforward. Power cabling was a bit fiddly, obviously, in such a small space. There is limited space underneath the power supply so I had to fold the excess cable length back on itself. I've yet to purchase and install a graphics card but I don't think there'll be any issues running those power cables. The 278mm maximum length specification looks to be spot on, with the power button being the limiting factor. (I'm hoping to get a Sapphire RX Vega 56, which I think should fit and be within the limits of my power supply.)

There are a few small quality issues. Tolerance on the motherboard mounts is a bit sloppy, but the case flexes slightly to get the holes in alignment. As a result, the video connectors are slightly out of alignment with the back plate (see image 14), but this does not prevent insertion of the monitor cable. The stiffness of the case metal is fine—no softness as was reported in an earlier batch. One of the hex standoffs for the motherboard came loose and spins when I turn the screw, preventing further tightening; no big deal, although it might be annoying if I need to detach the mother board later. There is a slight bend in the case floor above one of the feet (image 5), which might be responsible for a slight rocking of the case when placed on the table. (The gap is only a fraction of a millimetre though.) Finally, there is a transparent separator between the GPU compartment and the rest of the case (for insulation, presumably). This looks to have been manually cut out with scissors and is a bit sloppy; a more precise cutout would have looked better.

More disappointing was the omission of several accessory parts of my order. The parcel was missing dust filters, SSD mounting brackets and the front headphone assembly. I emailed Custom MOD, who promised to send the parts in an additional parcel next week. Luckily I'm using an M.2 SSD to start with, so it didn't prevent me from completing the build. Most problematic of all was the lack of a hole in the front panel to accommodate the headphone jack. I'll be able to drill the hole myself, but that's a regrettable omission.

My main parts list:
  • motherboard: ASUS STRIX H270i GAMING
  • CPU: i7-7700
  • power supply: Corsair SF450
  • cooler: ID-COOLING IS-40 V3

The power supply fan does not spin when idle and I can barely hear the CPU fan, so I'm very pleased with noise levels so far. Presumably it'll kick in a bit more once I start actually working on the machine.

So early impressions are of a great case all-in-all, with actual availability being especially attractive compared to other vapourware cases! Obviously some room for further polishing of the design and quality, but I also feel the manufacturer could improve communication in this forum somewhat, so that customers feel more in-the-loop about progress.

BozoSilvia

Trash Compacter
Sep 14, 2017
That is sweet. I wish more owners posted their builds either here or in the build logs thread. Any interesting notes during your build?
Not really everything fit nicely. There was a bit of stuff that are warped or don’t line up correctly but just a bit of pressure to bend the metal and it will line up perfectly. I was mostly surprised by the amount of room I did not have. Lol but overall it’s actually pretty sturdy and I certainly enjoyed building in this case.

rudy44

Average Stuffer
Aug 31, 2017

Here are pics of my 5.9L build. Overall not too many issues other than pushing on the gpu to fit but it fits great! Even with the shroud on!

Specs:
I5 6500
Cryorig C7
Z170i pro gaming
16gb gskill Tridentz
Gtx 1080 Strix OC
Corsair SF600
256Gb m.2

Love the case, love it all! Thank you the sweet case (I ordered no panels as I like the open airflow look)

how did you get all that to fit in the 5.9? If I understood right the 5.9 shouldn't be able to fit the C7 or any gpu larger than a reference model. But you put the 1080 strix?! that's amazing!

Oh wait...just saw the bit about no side panels.

Last edited:

BozoSilvia

Trash Compacter
Sep 14, 2017
how did you get all that to fit in the 5.9? If I understood right the 5.9 shouldn't be able to fit the C7 or any gpu larger than a reference model. But you put the 1080 strix?! that's amazing!

Oh wait...just saw the bit about no side panels.
A little bending and it’ll work fine to squeeze it in. The oem panels will not fit although you could always make some magnetic plexi glass ones that you can just stick to the case or even velcro! If there’s a will there’s a way for everything, happy building! Can’t wait to see how yours came out

higuy808

Caliper Novice
Feb 14, 2017

https://imgbb.com/

SFX Unit 6. Been really enjoying the system. Found that when gaming its better to just have the side panels off. Rev 1 has the magnets holding the thing together so the panels come off pretty easy, its good and bad.

Also when building with it just 1st thing take the case apart as much as possible, put in all your parts and then put the front and top etc back on. Once I figured that out it was easy to build in. Work with the case, if you fight it it will win everytime, its just so small.

Going to be ordering the AIO model though so looking forward to some better cooling.

BozoSilvia

Trash Compacter
Sep 14, 2017

SFX Unit 6. Been really enjoying the system. Found that when gaming its better to just have the side panels off. Rev 1 has the magnets holding the thing together so the panels come off pretty easy, its good and bad.

Also when building with it just 1st thing take the case apart as much as possible, put in all your parts and then put the front and top etc back on. Once I figured that out it was easy to build in. Work with the case, if you fight it it will win everytime, its just so small.

Going to be ordering the AIO model though so looking forward to some better cooling.
That’s a cool looking pny! Specs on build?

higuy808

Caliper Novice
Feb 14, 2017
That’s a cool looking pny! Specs on build?
It has gone through a couple revisions so far. Started off with a 3570k, GTX780 and now it has a i5-4690k and a GTX980ti. SF450 PSU, 8 GB Ram Some asrock z97 mobo. Nothing to special, but gets the job done well.

RedHat

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 24, 2017
So after about 5 months of waiting (June 26-November 17), it's finally here!

#51, SFX Mini 2.1, Batch 4

Here's an image album of my build specifically:

Ultimately, the case is pretty unique. The quality of my components exceed my expectations and work very well with the parts that I have. It's sturdy and well designed. Here are the things that I noticed during the process of ordering, building, and using the case:

The good stuff:
  • The metal is clearly sturdy
  • Every part I had fits inside the case
  • It's custom
  • Working with @sergiiua is easy
  • I got a custom mounting bracket for my 3.5" HDD
  • It was well packed in the box.
The stuff that could be better
  • It took way too long for it to come. The dates kept being pused back month after month
  • I seem to be missing my LEDs, dust filters, and case ID tag from the box.
  • The rear of my motherboard seems to bend slightly in this case making it difficult to use 2 USB ports
  • The power button cable was way too short!
    • This can be fixed by cutting the cable and soldering on some longer wires.
  • The L+R channels of the FPA are switched. They also do not detect if things are plugged in/unplugged
    • This can be fixed in software.
  • The front USB isn't designed well. When I plug in a device it shoves the female USB into the case.
    • This can be fixed by using a zip tie. Jainky, but it works.
  • The 3.5" bracket does not mount well. I'm using the stock cables from my SF600 and the inline adapter doesn't align well with the plate.
    • This can be fixed by physically taping the HDD to the plate itself. Don't cover any air holes when doing this!
The specs
  • Gigabyte ITX Mobo
  • Ryzen 1700
  • 8TB WD Red
  • 1TB WD Blue SSD
  • 512GB Samsung NVMe SSD
  • Gigabyte Nvidia 1070 ITX
  • 16GB DDR4 Corsair RGB RAM
As you can see many problems with the case can be fixed, but after spending 5mo of time and 230$ for the case itself, it's a little bit disappointing to receive this many problems. Does it make me dislike my purchase? No, I still love this case. I knew I was getting into a "beta" product, and nothing can ultimately be perfect.

So thanks for the case! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Friends, Batch # 8 is closed.

We announce the collection of orders for Batch # 9.
The first two customers get a 10% discount on the case *
Also we will be able to make several buildings with a discount of 50% * for those who have already ordered cases of past audits.

* Discount does not apply to shipping and additional accessories (PCIe riser, etc.)