Audio UPD.3: REVIEW of Mini GTX 1070 Cards (NFC S4 case)

Which Card would you prefer?

• Total voters

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Wow, thank you for all of this information!

I finally got my new card back from Galax--it's allegedly a brand new card and came in the retail packaging. I'm currently a little too busy to throw together my system utilizing the card at the moment, and seeing how you've got better tools and methods for testing this stuff, I'd consider sending it to you for you to run through this gauntlet if you were interested.

If that sounds worthwhile to you, send me a PM and we can talk about shipping.

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
Update 2:

I think it'd be nice to, in your round up, list the ports on the cards and also mention what resolutions/refresh rates you're able to run your display at by default. Nvidia's Control Panel (in my experience) will let you drive a monitor at whatever it's capable of, but sometimes you have to go in there and test/enable certain resolutions/refresh rates yourself.

Yeah, i did.

All of the cards support the following resolutions above 1080p :

2560x1440
2880x1620
3200x1800
3600x2025
3840x2160

and just for the lulz:
5120x2880
:-D

Last edited:
Reactions: zovc

bawjaws

Chassis Packer
Jul 15, 2017
Thanks so much for this comprehensive round-up - I'm in the market for a small 1070 so this is very helpful indeed! I do like the look of the MSI, although it seems to be a tricky card to get hold of here in the UK (and prices have gone a bit bonkers recently, which is annoying). Thanks again for the review.

Reactions: Davila and Broxin

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
Thanks so much for this comprehensive round-up - I'm in the market for a small 1070 so this is very helpful indeed! I do like the look of the MSI, although it seems to be a tricky card to get hold of here in the UK (and prices have gone a bit bonkers recently, which is annoying). Thanks again for the review.
appreciate your kind "Thank You"
For the work i put into it you would expect a little more discussion/questions,
well... i gues not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But the poll surprised me,
as somehow everyone preferred/knew that the msi was the best before i tested the cards

Yeah, i managed to get one for 439€ here in Germany, so compared to the prices right now, a "bargain" :-)

Davila

Trash Compacter
May 28, 2017
Yeah, i managed to get one for 439€ here in Germany, so compared to the prices right now, a "bargain" :-)

I can't even find it in the US! Either it's backordered or OOS, or the prices are $530+

If any of you guys find a retailer selling at a normal price, please message me!

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
Update 3:

Audio Loudness Supercut:

Recorded from 0 RPM (idle GPU) -> Started Furmark -> waited for the Fan RPM (this is the interesting part) to stabilize at 100% GPU usage -> Quick spinup to 100% Fan RPM to measure the noise.

Audio is: Zotac -> Gigabyte -> msi

Zotac and msi recorded with a "max RPM" noise test at the end
(Gigabyte max RPM recording didnt work out)

Every Spinup took roundabout 5 minutes and was speed up to 30 seconds to compare better (the speed was altered without altering the pitch of the recording)

It was recorded 5cm away from the case to overcome the basenoise of the microphone and amp.

you have to disable any soundcard compression/normalization to hear the real loundness difference between each Card.

http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/yCbAkNkC/file.html

boy is the msi is pushing some air. Just realized it now after hearing the air allmost clipping the mic in the recording :-D

So, which Fan tone do you guys prefer ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
Wow, thank you for all of this information!

I finally got my new card back from Galax--it's allegedly a brand new card and came in the retail packaging. I'm currently a little too busy to throw together my system utilizing the card at the moment, and seeing how you've got better tools and methods for testing this stuff, I'd consider sending it to you for you to run through this gauntlet if you were interested.

If that sounds worthwhile to you, send me a PM and we can talk about shipping.
Hey zovc, damn, thats tempting, but i doubt you want to ship it to germany XD
Arent you from the US?
How is the Galax doing?
Cheers

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Hey zovc, damn, thats tempting, but i doubt you want to ship it to germany XD
Arent you from the US?
How is the Galax doing?
Cheers

Dang, no I don't think I can swing shipping all the way to Germany. Yeah, I'm in the US.

I actually haven't even unboxed the card since I got it, but I ought to be throwing it into a system here soon.

rchetal

Trash Compacter
May 30, 2017
Anyone in the US find a way to buy the MSI Aero 1070 at a decent price? I've been trying for weeks to find one but I havn't been able to find anything. The Gigabyte and Zotac 1070 units seem pretty easy to find though.

kevlar

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2017
Anyone in the US find a way to buy the MSI Aero 1070 at a decent price? I've been trying for weeks to find one but I havn't been able to find anything. The Gigabyte and Zotac 1070 units seem pretty easy to find though.

In Canada I thought I was able to snipe one for 500 CAD (~400 USD), turns out the seller on Amazon made a mistake and thought AERO ITX and AERO OC were the same ;(

I was able to order one for around that same price and it was shipped directly from Amazon instead of a third-party. Will be able to pick it up later this week and see if it's really the ITX form factor version, but yeah, I guess check in a lot with Amazon and eventually they'll have it..?

Last edited:

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
Hey @Broxin just wanted to give a quick shout out for the mod of the HDPLEX connector in order for the 1070 Aero to fit, that saved my ass big time! The connector might be flipped, but the mod is way easier to do than taking a dremel to the power connector, so thanks for experimenting and paving the way! :)

Reactions: Broxin

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
So you didnt flip it and didnt dremel it? How did you mod it then?

Edit: oh i think you mean the chipping away the one metal clip, yeah, glad it helped you :)

Hey @Broxin just wanted to give a quick shout out for the mod of the HDPLEX connector in order for the 1070 Aero to fit, that saved my ass big time! The connector might be flipped, but the mod is way easier to do than taking a dremel to the power connector, so thanks for experimenting and paving the way! :)

Last edited:

kevlar

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2017
I finally picked up my MSI 1070 AERO ITX and man I am shocked at how quiet and cool this thing is. It's so much harder to tell when my computer is even on because I'm used to my old card roaring whenever I boot up XD