NFC Systems S4 Mini #72 Build

rsjo

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2016
I haven't seen anything in the bios that will allow direct TDP control. However, in disabling the IGP and undervolting the processor I have managed to keep the processor under 35 watts under full load. So that's prime95 testing. While playing games, the processor rarely gets above 25 watts. It is a very efficient and easy processor to tweak!

Thank you - much appreciated!

How about you GTX 1060 - can you tweak that to a max TDP or make sure it never goes above e.g. 1550mhz?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Thank you - much appreciated!

How about you GTX 1060 - can you tweak that to a max TDP or make sure it never goes above e.g. 1550mhz?

Yes you can! MSI afterburner will allow you to cap the TDP of the card to whatever you like. If I wanted to, I could cap the 1060 to only 75 watts and not use the 6 pin connector.

As for what brand of 1060 to buy.... Buy the EVGA one... While I have not had any issues with the Zotac variant, it does get quite loud while gaming, more so then my EVGA GTX 960....

Reactions: rsjo

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
Yes you can! MSI afterburner will allow you to cap the TDP of the card to whatever you like. If I wanted to, I could cap the 1060 to only 75 watts and not use the 6 pin connector.

As for what brand of 1060 to buy.... Buy the EVGA one... While I have not had any issues with the Zotac variant, it does get quite loud while gaming, more so then my EVGA GTX 960....
Make sure you get the SC version of the EVGA. The non SC is exactly the same as the zotac as far as I can tell.

Reactions: rsjo and Zackmd1

rsjo

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2016
Make sure you get the SC version of the EVGA. The non SC is exactly the same as the zotac as far as I can tell.
I had actually placed the Gigabyte 1060 SC on my list of stuff to get for this build - is the EVGA a better alternative and if so for what reasons?
Am i correct in assuming that the SC version is recommended due to better cooling/heat pipes?

Ideally ill go with an i7-6700 and then try and undervolt and disable iGPU as Zackmd1 has done as i am intending to use this build for Dolphin emulation so the closer i can get to 4.0Ghz on 2 cores the better.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The SC version of the eVGA has a much better cooler than either the Zotac or the non-SC variant of the eVGA card. The Gigabyte as far as I know uses the same overheight cooler as the 1070 and is a pain in the ass to fit into certain cases. While you can get it into the S4, it's a nuisance and there's really not much gained in choosing it over the eVGA IMO.