Audio UPD.3: REVIEW of Mini GTX 1070 Cards (NFC S4 case)

Which Card would you prefer?

• Total voters

alexiseurope

Cable Smoosher
Aug 14, 2017
Thanks for the review!
I answered that I would prefer the MSI but I just bought the Gigabyte.. It is readily available here in Sweden and no one knows when the MSI will be available.. So I hope the Gigabyte will be decent enough?

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Thanks for the review!
I answered that I would prefer the MSI but I just bought the Gigabyte.. It is readily available here in Sweden and no one knows when the MSI will be available.. So I hope the Gigabyte will be decent enough?
I use the Gigabyte GTX 1070 ITX and its a perfectly good card, it can run quietly if you set it up properly. Its just that the MSI Aero version is according to those who have used both, even better.

alexiseurope

Cable Smoosher
Aug 14, 2017
I use the Gigabyte GTX 1070 ITX and its a perfectly good card, it can run quietly if you set it up properly. Its just that the MSI Aero version is according to those who have used both, even better.
Cool thanks for the feedback ;)
Any tip on how to set it up as best as possible?

alexiseurope

Cable Smoosher
Aug 14, 2017
It depends on the airflow in your case, if its sufficient you can just set the card to its 'silent' profile in the Gigabyte software to really quieten it down and retain 99% of its performance.
Yeah it should be nice and comfortable then in the Fractal Core 500 ;)
Thanks for the tips!

Reactions: K888D

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
im surprised the aero itx had no coilwhine, my 1060 aero is plagued with it. :/ I mean I can't hear it with my headphones on... which I have on all the time while playing games but still

alexiseurope

Cable Smoosher
Aug 14, 2017
Ok so I ordered the MSI and will return the Gigabyte soon. The Gigabyte was very decent and also had 0rpm fan at low loads but at high load the fan was getting more noisy than I expected. Also the lack of ports in the Gigabyte frustrated me as I wanted to connect two HDMI cables without having to buy new adapters. Additionally I started looking about vRAM OC and I thought the Gigabyte had Samsung chips but it turned out that mine had Micron. So I didn't see any point in keeping it after I found the MSI for 25 bucks more. It seems it is the better long term investment. Thanks to this forum thread for all the insights! ;)

Reactions: Broxin

alexiseurope

Cable Smoosher
Aug 14, 2017
Write back how the noise improvement is in your opinion, msi vs gigabyte ;)
Yeah will do ;)
The only bad thing is that the card is shipping from Finland to Sweden so it will take a few days. But the good thing is that I will have both cards at the same time for a couple of days and I will be able to do some testing back to back.

Reactions: Broxin

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
What i forgot was to do some coilwhine testing with high framerate material (that is the best thing to test for coilwhine). Maybe you could test for coilwhine with both a little.

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
im surprised the aero itx had no coilwhine, my 1060 aero is plagued with it. :/ I mean I can't hear it with my headphones on... which I have on all the time while playing games but still
Yesterday i tested with high framerates between 100 to 400 fps and could not hear any coilwhine at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kevlar

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2017
Is it possible that the cooling solution used for the 1070 AERO ITX is not the same for the 1060 equivalent?

alexiseurope

Cable Smoosher
Aug 14, 2017
Yesterday i tested with high framerates between 100 to 400 fps and could not hear any coilwhine at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hi again!
Today I am receiving the MSI and I will compare it to my Gigabyte. What benchmark are you using? I was thinking to use the Unigine Heaven benchmark. (EDIT: I just remembered you mentioned the benchmark software in the first post...)
And to record db levels what software do you use? I have a few different normal microphones so I will see which one is the best for this purpose.
Also I found in the Gigabyte Aorus software it has a setting to record the monitor data in a txt file. Does the MSI have something similar in Afterburner so I can potentially do some comparisons in a spreadsheet?

Last edited:

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
Yeah, benchmarks are on the first post.

I think i used unigine valley

I used the db meter in first post, but its expensive.

You could try to use your microphones and free audacity record software. I think it also has a db meter.
Measure your silent room db and see which mic has lower db (less noise) then use this one to measure the loudness of the cards in the same distance, thats important.

Maybe the aorus software will work also with the msi, as all cards are more or less using the geforce reference sensors on board.

alexiseurope

Cable Smoosher
Aug 14, 2017
Yeah, benchmarks are on the first post.

I think i used unigine valley

I used the db meter in first post, but its expensive.

You could try to use your microphones and free audacity record software. I think it also has a db meter.
Measure your silent room db and see which mic has lower db (less noise) then use this one to measure the loudness of the cards in the same distance, thats important.

Maybe the aorus software will work also with the msi, as all cards are more or less using the geforce reference sensors on board.

Ok so I had limited amount of time to do benchmarks because I need to return the Gigabyte today. Unfortunately only I ended having them together for only 1 night. I did all 3 Unigine benchmarks with the Gigabyte but I thought Valey was the most representative to compare. So I only had time now to do the Valey on the MSI as well. I have logged all the temps, clocks etc with HWiNFO64 (which is awesome btw!). I had both cards in my case closed and in place under the tv so I would get real world numbers for me.
Some preliminary impressions to mention before I get some time to read all the numbers:
- The Gigabyte is warmer in idle by around 4 degrees (Gigabyte around 50-51 / MSI 46-47).
- The MSI is cooler under full load by around 7 degrees!!! (Gigabyte 78 / MSI 71)
- The Gigabyte has a lot of coilwine from the moment the benchmarks start! The MSI not so much but if you try you can identify a bit, but surely not as loud and noticeable as the Gigabyte.
- The MSI is quiter under load. By how much I don't know yet. I recorded the noise for both but I have to compare them now. For sure the MSI is a lot more comfortable to the ear.
- Also the MSI takes a lot less time to cool down and return to 0rpm fans. It might be as much as 1-2 minutes more for the Gigabyte after the benchmark was over. I will check in detail the numbers and recordings.
- Finally both were at 1936Mhz during the Valley benchmark but the MSI got a couple fps more. Still I didn't have time to do repeat tests :(

All in all I am very satisfied to have paid extra and go through the process of shipping back the Gigabyte. The MSI is a quality product overall (even the packaging was better with foam protecting the card from all sides!). Thanks for the recommendations earlier. I will come back with more numbers if you want ;)

Reactions: wesbl and Broxin