Cerberus-X : GPU cooler & type choice

What type of GPU cooler & type will you choose for Cerberus-x?

• MSI Gaming X

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Asus Strix

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Zotac Mini / Gigabyte Mini ITX

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • EVGA Super Clocked Edition

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Hi all,

On my long quest to fit a suited setup on Cerberus-x, I'm now thinking about GPU cooler & type.

I just realized recently that an SLI of GTX 1070 was able (on compatible program) to match performance of Titan X pascal, especially at 4K...so I've decide to place a sli of GTX 1070 in Cerberus-X...at least as benchmark, time to AMD vega / GTX 2070 to be released & tested.
Please note that even if SLI is not supported, single GTX 1070 performance in 1440p is perfectly acceptable for me (that's what I'm using right now)
Last point, even sli of GTX1070 OC could be powered easily with an corsair SF600.

Based on GTX 1070 cards, I'm looking to find the best suited cards for Cerberus-X :
  • MSI Gaming X/Z GTX 1070 : The aircooled GTX 1070 with the best ratio Noise/performance. However its huge width could caused troubles with pci-e connector (maybe low profile could match), and also SLI bridge. Also bottom intake airflow will be blocked by first gpu. At last the power connector (8+6) are a bit useless, but force to use adapters using an SF600...not great for cable management.
  • Asus Strix GTX 1070 : Same comment as MSI gaming X at exception, it has less width (better offset of pcie connector) but has more depth (could interfere with intake fan). At least bottom intake fans will be able to send more after bottom gpu card
  • Zotac GTX 1070 mini : It's small size could truly help to fit in Cerberus-X. No issue on clearance for sure. No issue to power it with SF600 with its single pcie connector. Only concern would be noise and thermals on load that lead to lower OC/performance potential. Despite that i like idea..:D (as alternative Gigabyte mini ITX could be used also, but noise should be higher due to unique 92fan)

• EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 : Using reference PCB design/dimension, but with better cooler, it could be the perfect balance for Cerberus-X. Issue on thermal pads could be an issue. Fan noise is also higher than MSI/ASUS cards.

So what will be your choices of GPU type?

Last edited:

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Figured you'd have a blower card as an option as well. I believe the heat with sli is gonna be tough in that case man.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Not really, there will be 2x140mm at the bottom, 1x140mm in front, and 2x140 on noctua C14S...fair enough to cool gpu exhaust air.

I forgot Blower gpu by default, as their thermal/noise are below aftermarket models...and thermal on pascal are critical to avoid throttle.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
There are also aftermarket blowers such as asus turbo and another one by msi. But the AiB cards might be fine in the X model. Hopefully y'all can give us a review soon ;) .

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well after market blower style are generally worse than Reference/founder one..:D

As soon as I will receive Cerberus-x I will test my MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 to see how it fits in it..:)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I highly doubt Nvidia will be launching their next GPU series when AMD still has nothing to match the GTX 1070 or 1080. That's just competing with your own lineup. It will be a $ 900 GTX 1080 Ti and AMD Radeon RX 490 and 490X I'd bet. Nobody's socks will be blown off either.

Reactions: VegetableStu

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I'm betting on GTX 20XX serie as marketing announcement as Volta will only arrive next year..:) Nvidia wants to keep the lead