NFC Systems S4 Mini #72 Build

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
The EVGA 1060 is certainly the way to go for quieter and cooler operation. Very happy with the numbers so far though for the 1060. Unfortunately I do not have firestrike though. Couldn't bring myself to spend money on a benchmarking program I am only going to use a few times...

I said the same...except I did buy it...And I have used it more than 1-7 times ;)

Mainly for comparing the systems I've built against the systems I've built for my friends (just to keep the e-peen measurements in check).

Reactions: Zackmd1

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The Zotac seems to have a very low-spec cooler, which looks like those Intel boxed heatsinks. It would explain why it's loud and not up to par to keeping it cool. I'm afraid just changing the fan wouldn't be enough.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
The Zotac seems to have a very low-spec cooler, which looks like those Intel boxed heatsinks. It would explain why it's loud and not up to par to keeping it cool. I'm afraid just changing the fan wouldn't be enough.

The more and more I look at the heatsink, the more I am beginning to think the same... I will be trying out the 120mm fan and then depending on the results, decide what to do with the heatsink.

When I first launch doom and I heard that coil whine I was extremely disappointed. My 960 was completely silent in terms of coil whine and damn near silent in normal operation, only in extended gaming did it begin to sound like a jet engine. This Zotac 1060 though sounds like a jet on every boot up and almost immediately after starting a game. Disappointed with Zotac's cooling solution but happy that the car has no more coil whine and very happy with the performance and power draw.

Speaking of the 960..... It is now for sale if anyone is interested! Used only a month. Will be going up on eBay soon most likely if no one here is interested.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
So It looks as though I can limit framerates with either Nvidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner. I will be trying out the MSI method tonight and be recording some more power numbers if I can get a framerate limit. No need to have games being rendered at 150fps when my monitor can only display 60! I want to stay away from Vsync options on games due to the many drawbacks Vsync has so if I can get a system limit on the FPS then that would be ideal.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
The standard EVGA 1060 ITX has a heatsink similar to the Zotac version, the cylindrical type, it's the same heatsink they use on the EVGA 950 ITX. Whereas the EVGA 1060 ITX SC version has their beefed up linear fin heatsink that is used on their GTX 960 ITX.

The standard version (similar heatsink to Zotac card):

The SC Version (much larger heatsink with many more fins):

I wonder which of the EVGA's is quieter, the factory clocked version with cylindrical heatsink, or the overclocked version with beefed up linear style cooler?

Reactions: Phuncz

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Judging by what I have seen from the EVGA base 1060, I would expect it to perform similar to the Zotac in terms of cooling and noise. The heatpipe design is just more efficient all around.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Ok so enabling Vsync is the easiest option to limit framerates.... The 1060 is powerful enough though that I always experienced a rock solid 60 at max settings in every game I tested (doom, crysis 3, titanfall, etc....) I can confirm that my power numbers while gaming drop drastically. My new power numbers while gaming range from 90 watts to 140 watts! I am now matching the Xbox One power numbers which is perfrect for the longevity of Xbox One power brick I have powering the system. So moral of the story, if you want a more efficient system with the 1060 then enable Vsync.

Reactions: NRG

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
Ok so enabling Vsync is the easiest option to limit framerates.... The 1060 is powerful enough though that I always experienced a rock solid 60 at max settings in every game I tested (doom, crysis 3, titanfall, etc....) I can confirm that my power numbers while gaming drop drastically. My new power numbers while gaming range from 90 watts to 140 watts! I am now matching the Xbox One power numbers which is perfrect for the longevity of Xbox One power brick I have powering the system. So moral of the story, if you want a more efficient system with the 1060 then enable Vsync.

So you're using a i5 and a 1060 and not exceeding 140w?! That's brilliant news for me!

I'm going to run a 1060 along side my i3 6100, And with your numbers, I should be able to get away with using my HDPlex 160w after the pcie mod :D

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
So you're using a i5 and a 1060 and not exceeding 140w?! That's brilliant news for me!

I'm going to run a 1060 along side my i3 6100, And with your numbers, I should be able to get away with using my HDPlex 160w after the pcie mod :D

I am exceeding 140 watts with vsync disabled or with games that are stressing the 1060 to 100% I have also undervolted the cores ( with no accompanying core clock drop) and disabled the IGPU on the 6500 in order to bring its TDP down to about 45 watts. But yes in most games I am not exceeding 125 watts sustained and 140 watts peak. With the 1060 stressed at 100% while gaming I usually see about 170 watts.

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
The EVGA 1060 is certainly the way to go for quieter and cooler operation. Very happy with the numbers so far though for the 1060. Unfortunately I do not have firestrike though. Couldn't bring myself to spend money on a benchmarking program I am only going to use a few times...
I'm about to make a custom harness for the Pico. Did you use a separate header for the gpu 6 pin or did you chain it off of the sata power? Did you end up using a single molex to 6 pin? Pictures would be great if you have them!

I looked at previous pictures and it looked like you have an in line molex connector that supports your sata drives and ostensibly splits to go to your pcie 6 pin? Did you use 4 wires and double them at the 6 pin or did you double up wires? I'm afraid to overtax the wires using 4 wires to a 6 pin since most adapters are 2 molex to 1 6 pin.

Last edited:

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
I'm about to make a custom harness for the Pico. Did you use a separate header for the gpu 6 pin or did you chain it off of the sata power? Did you end up using a single molex to 6 pin? Pictures would be great if you have them!

I looked at previous pictures and it looked like you have an in line molex connector that supports your sata drives and ostensibly splits to go to your pcie 6 pin? Did you use 4 wires and double them at the 6 pin or did you double up wires? I'm afraid to overtax the wires using 4 wires to a 6 pin since most adapters are 2 molex to 1 6 pin.

I do not have any pictures right now but yes, my pico has one harness for the GPU and drives. I converted the 6 pin 2 molex connector to using just one molex by doubling up the wires at the molex end. Wire gauge and length were most important here. I would certainly not suggest running everything off of the stock pico 24 gauge harness but 16 gauge under a foot in length is enough to handle the required power. 6 pins split the load across multiple leads which allow for a thinner gauge wire and longer runs so when doubling up wires you need to account for the full load (75 watts max) and the length in which you are running the wire. Like I said, 16/18 gauge at under 12" is enough to handle the power requirements of a 6 pin GPU and 2 Sata drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: zhl146

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Ok so it occurred to me that maybe my orientation of the S4 could be contributing to the heat and sound issues of the Zotac 1060. Since my S4 was only about 1/4in off ot the table, there wasn't much room for air to move and be drawn in by the 1060. With the S4 placed in vertical orientation, 1060 temperatures dropped drastically. The fan never goes above idle 40% when playing less demanding games now (bioshock infinite) and temperatures never exceeded 50C.... So it looks like my S4 will remain in vertical orientation now!

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Here are some in its new orientation!

The Zotac 1060 tucked away inside the S4. I am thinking LEDs might be in the cards in the future....

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
Damn! That is beautiful man! Just need to take one of the sides off and show us the cable management ;)

Reactions: Zackmd1

rsjo

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2016
I am exceeding 140 watts with vsync disabled or with games that are stressing the 1060 to 100% I have also undervolted the cores ( with no accompanying core clock drop) and disabled the IGPU on the 6500 in order to bring its TDP down to about 45 watts. But yes in most games I am not exceeding 125 watts sustained and 140 watts peak. With the 1060 stressed at 100% while gaming I usually see about 170 watts.

I see you have the Gigabyte GA-Z170N WIFI board; are there any options on that board / BIOS to set an overall long term (base) power maximum in watts for the CPU? I see in the manual that it has the option to lower TDP for turbo boost but ideally im looking to get the same CPU as you but see if i can cap it at 35W.
You mention that your CPU sits at around 45 watts now, is that under torture tests or when playing games?

Thanks -

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
I see you have the Gigabyte GA-Z170N WIFI board; are there any options on that board / BIOS to set an overall long term (base) power maximum in watts for the CPU? I see in the manual that it has the option to lower TDP for turbo boost but ideally im looking to get the same CPU as you but see if i can cap it at 35W.
You mention that your CPU sits at around 45 watts now, is that under torture tests or when playing games?

Thanks -

I haven't seen anything in the bios that will allow direct TDP control. However, in disabling the IGP and undervolting the processor I have managed to keep the processor under 35 watts under full load. So that's prime95 testing. While playing games, the processor rarely gets above 25 watts. It is a very efficient and easy processor to tweak!