Motherboard ASUS B550I-Strix

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
I think that the most beneficial in terms of performance would be to install a 1TB PCI-E 4.0 nvme drive in the main slot and a smaller drive with an operating system in the rear slot. Games most likely will be starting faster, as texture caching and level uploads.

Could you check your USB TYPE-C ports? See my story upper on this page. I will be really grateful for your help.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Hi, I bought this board. It ticked all the boxes for me and no, i don't need a tonne of USB i/o.

But I do have a burning question that I've been meaning to ask for a while but wasn't sure where until I noticed this thread about this mobo. I plan to use 2 NVMe M.2 for my build (Samsung 970 Evo Plus). A 250 gb one on which to put windows, and a 1 TB one on which to put all the other stuff mostly games, photos and video files. No plan for SSDs unless I end up taking tonnes of photos.

The question is, should I put the 250gb or the 1tb drive into the gen 4 slot (there is only one on this mobo).

Much regards. Thank you in advance..
Given that both drives are PCIe 3.0, this shouldn't make any difference whatsoever. Of course the 3.0 slot comes off the chipset and not directly from the CPU, so there's some (very minor) additional latency there, but transfer speeds should be the same. I doubt you'd ever know the difference between the two configurations.

Of course (depending on where in the world you are located) there are faster and cheaper SSDs out there than the 970 Evo.

nice_big_cup_of_stfu

Caliper Novice
Nov 24, 2020
AGESA 1.1.8.0 is out! Allows for curve optimization - AND the fan speed limitation of 75C is lifted! Meaning, you can now tweak the fan curve up to 100C for 100% fan speed - so I can let the CPUs settle in the high 70s/low 80s and maintain a low fan speed