CPU Hunting for X570 or B550 board that fully supports ECC!

dc443

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 4, 2020
I’m hoping to get my 2x32GB KSM32ED8/32ME running with my 5950X. Currently it’s running in a B550I Aorus Pro AX. This was always supposed to be a temporary setup. The main reason to change the board is that I would like to be able to experiment with ECC memory overclocking. On this B550I it only seems to run this memory stable at stock settings. The other main thing is PCIe 4.0 x4 for the secondary M.2, but honestly at this point I have had better luck on B550 over X570, and I'm far more interested in being able to max out the memory than I am going to need the 4.0 bandwidth on those 4 M.2 lanes. Other factors such as passive cooling on B550 and generally *slightly* inferior VRMs (actually this B550I Aorus has an overkill VRM, so i'm nearly satisfied with it TBH) are not much of a factor.

I was under the impression that ASUS would have the best ECC compatibility, perhaps they still do, but the Strix X570-I that I tested last night (which took 3 months to get my hands on!) refuses to POST (yellow memory LED stays lit) with any of the three kinds of ECC UDIMM memory I have on hand:
  1. 32GB Kingston KSM32ED8/32ME modules
  2. 16GB Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CRC modules
  3. 8GB Super Talent F24EA8GS modules
The BIOS versions tested so far:
This was unexpected and highly frustrating. I guess I was setting my expectations too high. I’m still willing to continue to test different boards with this 3600X I have on hand until I find the right board to complete this holy grail mini workstation with... I’m not going to tear down the workstation only to have it refuse to post again though, never again. If it turns out impossible to make the dream work I might need to just drop the 5950X into the Dark Hero I have here and give up on ITX for it, but that would be very sad!

Just wondering if there are any tips or tricks anyone’s got. Maybe there’s some secret way to trick a board into booting up with ECC when it doesn’t seem to want to do it?

I know I can more exhaustively test the rest of the available BIOSes, I just think that because none of these ECC modules worked, maybe they’re simply not including the code for ECC on this particular ITX board...

Also I would be very appreciative of any experiences anyone has with ECC on ITX in general with B550/X570. I was lulled into a false sense of security from having no issues with ECC on my Zenith Extreme board and from seeing many folks overclocking their ECC ram on their ATX X570 boards.

What are the chances that someone at ASUS has a BIOS that can unlock this for this board? It's a good board and works fine with my regular ram.

Since the board has no flashback feature I can't really try anything insane like flash a different board's bios to it. That's such a dumb idea.

Anyone here have contacts at ASUS?

Last edited:

JJSEA

Caliper Novice
Dec 30, 2019
It looks to me like that board simply doesn't support ECC. The specs on the ASUS web site specifically say the supported memory is non-ECC RAM. There's another thread here confirming this: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...trix-x570-i-gaming-supports-ecc-memory.14514/

I have successfully used ECC on a number of X570/B550 motherboards:
  • Asus X570 Prime Pro/CSM (ATX)
  • Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus (MATX)
  • Asrock B550M Steel Legend (MATX)
  • Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master (ATX)
  • Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX (ITX)
In all of the above, the specs mention ECC.

The only problem I encountered was that 4 sticks of 16Gb 3200Mhz ECC RAM did not work out of the box; this was fixed by manually setting the speed to 3000MHz.

encore2097

Caliper Novice
May 13, 2019
Usually Asus and ASRock will add ECC support for some motherboards, gotta check the specifications and Memory QVL.

Nice to see Gigabyte is adding ECC support as well to some motherboards!

Reactions: m.trix and JJSEA

yuusou

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2019
I've built a system with a Asus Pro WS X570-ACE, with a 5950X and 2x Kingston KSM32ED8/32ME for a total of 64GB in two sticks. It's running at the rated 3200MHz. Also UDIMMs. If you're worried about memory errors then RAM frequency isn't as important.