Motherboard ASUS B550I-Strix

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
There's no PCIe 4.0 in the B550 chipset, so no reason to expect it to produce much heat at all. Should be very similar to B450 and other non-X570 chipsets.
But even if I lock everything to PCIe 3.0, Southbridge, NVME, PCIe, same.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Outside of builds with multiple PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSDs, you're not missing out on much by going with the B550 chipset, and I really prefer it not requiring active cooling.
I was referring about the USB ports, ecc. The Asus X570-I is amazing for that!! So far the best among all the ITX boards!

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I was referring about the USB ports, ecc. The Asus X570-I is amazing for that!! So far the best among all the ITX boards!

Yeah, Actually Hardcore Overclocking (Buildzoid) really liked the Asus X570-I for not only it's better IO, but also it's better VRM over the B550. I don't really understand why they didn't keep the board the same and just change the chipset to reduce the price a bit for the B550 version.

Reactions: fabio

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
But even if I lock everything to PCIe 3.0, Southbridge, NVME, PCIe, same.
Setting something in BIOS to a different setting doesn't necessarily power gate the hardware that is left idle - that depends both on silicon design and which configuration options are available. So just because you've set everything to 3.0 doesn't mean that the power hungry parts of the 4.0 link are necessarily switched off, just that they are no longer used for data transfer (except the parts of them needed for 3.0 operation, obviously).

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Yeah, Actually Hardcore Overclocking (Buildzoid) really liked the Asus X570-I for not only it's better IO, but also it's better VRM over the B550. I don't really understand why they didn't keep the board the same and just change the chipset to reduce the price a bit for the B550 version.
I was hoping that! Maybe they had to cut a few USB ports having integrated the new USB3Gen2 Header on the board? But 3 ports?
One thing though that I like of the B550 is the Flash Bios and Clear Cmos button on the back.
The Crosshair Impact has all of these but is not compatible with sandwich case...

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Setting something in BIOS to a different setting doesn't necessarily power gate the hardware that is left idle - that depends both on silicon design and which configuration options are available. So just because you've set everything to 3.0 doesn't mean that the power hungry parts of the 4.0 link are necessarily switched off, just that they are no longer used for data transfer (except the parts of them needed for 3.0 operation, obviously).
Oh, I didn't know! Thanks man!

Reactions: Valantar

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
Hello! I would like to discuss the operation of ports USB Type-C on this motherboard, incl. Type-E port on the motherboard to output the Type-C port to the front panel. It turned out that on my board these ports are not working properly.

1. Port USB Type-C under the connectors of audio devices (USB 2.0). When a phone or storage device is connected to it using a USB Type-C to USB Type-C cable Windows emits a signal of connected device and immediately a signal of removed device. At the same time, if you turn on the file sharing mode in the phone, the Explorer window automatically opens for a split second to open the root folder of the device, but it turns off immediately. This process is cyclical, i.e. repeats every second. At the same time, I have at my disposal several USB Type-C cables: 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 gen 2 (3.2. gen 1). This behavior is observed on cables of USB 2.0 and 3.0, when connecting USB 3.1 cable the phone simply charges without the ability to data transfer.

2. Port USB Type-C on the rear panel (USB 3.1 gen 2). The port works only when you connect a high-speed USB 3.1 gen 2 cable and allows you to open files (data transfer) and charge the phone. Other cables do not work for data transfer, but they do allow charging the phone.

3. USB Type-E port for connecting a cable on the front panel (USB 3.1 gen 2). This port connected through a special cable from Fractal Design for the output of the USB Type-C port to the front panel. This port functions normally with any cable for both data transfer and device charging.

I made a clean installation of the AMD chipset drivers, as well as a clean installation of the video card driver using ddu. Could it be a driver I don't know about? But I did not find anything like this for this board on the ASUS website. I also checked if the board is in contact with the case, in order to avoid a short circuit and grounding problems, but I also did not find anything like that.

First of all, I appeal to the owners of this motherboard, have you checked the working state of these ports, is everything working as it should be? Perhaps you have experienced similar problems, how did you solve them? Perhaps you have not tested the functioning of these ports yet, could you do this and share information with me? Also, I am happy to listen to any of your suggestions to solve this problem.

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
hmmm, that connector is audio USB type-C, not sure that it can transport regular data.
Well let's say so. But. Asus on the page of this board itself indicated in the characteristics that this is a regular USB 2.0 port. And also why in this case the contents of the data storages still can be seen even for a split second?

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Well let's say so. But. Asus on the page of this board itself indicated in the characteristics that this is a regular USB 2.0 port. And also why in this case the contents of the data storages still can be seen even for a split second?

Bad cable? What kind of phone?

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
Bad cable? What kind of phone?
All cables from Anker and 2 from my phones. I checked 2 different cables for every USB version (6 cables in total), 2 cables from Google Pixel and Google charger. My phone is OnePlus 8.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I already contacted with ASUS support. But they didn't answer me yet.

FWIW, If you purchased via Amazon....I can strongly recommend using Amazon's tech support contact. Inarguably the least hassle and quickest route to a Real Human Being who knows what they are doing, at tech companies, I've ever had. Seriously, the only time I've had less hassle getting connected to Big Tech CS was when I was using SMB Warranty support. After Amazon admits they didn't know, someone from Gigabyte and AsusTek contacted me via phone at my convenience.

Fitchew

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 2, 2019
FWIW, If you purchased via Amazon....I can strongly recommend using Amazon's tech support contact.
Unfortunately I purchased it from computeruniverse.net to Russia. So if it some kind of technical issue, rma will be pain in my ...
Besides that motherboard works fine as it should be.

echodriver

Caliper Novice
Oct 11, 2020
Went with this board despite the higher cost and VRMs.

It is the most "complete" in that it has all the features (including Gen 2 Type-C front header), easy access to clear CMOS, USB flash for Zen 3 without having to use/borrow a Zen 2 CPU, etc. And no right-angle SATA which isn't compatible with my Dan A4

MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge WiFi, MSRP $199.99: 60A power stages, 8+2 (VCORE/SOC) layout, no doubling or teaming, 2.5GbE (Realtek), Intel WiFi 6/AX, 3 fan headers (one marked water pump, might support higher current), no right-angle SATA, fan with idle stop on the front m.2, front USB-C header, debug LEDs, optical audio output. Drawbacks: No Displayport output.

Now that this board is out, definitely a huge drawback is the use of the non standard backplate. Really eliminates use of some coolers

TheMEXiCAN99

Chassis Packer
Aug 26, 2020
Hi, I bought this board. It ticked all the boxes for me and no, i don't need a tonne of USB i/o.

But I do have a burning question that I've been meaning to ask for a while but wasn't sure where until I noticed this thread about this mobo. I plan to use 2 NVMe M.2 for my build (Samsung 970 Evo Plus). A 250 gb one on which to put windows, and a 1 TB one on which to put all the other stuff mostly games, photos and video files. No plan for SSDs unless I end up taking tonnes of photos.

The question is, should I put the 250gb or the 1tb drive into the gen 4 slot (there is only one on this mobo).

Much regards. Thank you in advance..