List of Mini-ITX/DTX motherboards with a Key A header (for front panel USB C)

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
Fully agree. Once I get the M1 v6.1 I will use the DTX board, 3950x, and my old Kraken X52. If and when a tempered glass panel becomes available that I like, I will see if I can do a custom loop with the DTX board, otherwise I will swap it for an ITX board in the M1 v6.1. I was honestly considering the Sliger SM570/SM580, but I don't like having my case on the left, also they are considerably larger than the M1, and a custom loop in the M1 will show all components from one side versus sandwich designs like the Sliger or Dan A4 or Ghost S1 (dislike that tophat - gap, looks unclean imo). I know I'm whining on a very high level, but yh ...
hahah not whining man, just looking for the best. but how are you going to do that custom loop, like where are you going to put the rad? because on the side, there will be no point in having a sidepannel. and on the botttom it will most likely hit the GPU or the motherboard?

Reactions: lordzorg

lordzorg

Trash Compacter
Oct 27, 2019
hahah not whining man, just looking for the best. but how are you going to do that custom loop, like where are you going to put the rad? because on the side, there will be no point in having a sidepannel. and on the botttom it will most likely hit the GPU or the motherboard?
Rad at the bottom and small one at the back, something like this, but not in blue :) YouTube. And for the bottom rad with the DTX board it will be either DIY fitting the 240 + slim fans there, or going with ITX. I came up with that decision AFTER unpacking the DTX board, so no point in returning it now against a restocking fee, will see about the window and the fit of the DTX board inside the M1 first...

Reactions: Plaklijm

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
Rad at the bottom and small one at the back, something like this, but not in blue :) YouTube. And for the bottom rad with the DTX board it will be either DIY fitting the 240 + slim fans there, or going with ITX. I came up with that decision AFTER unpacking the DTX board, so no point in returning it now against a restocking fee, will see about the window and the fit of the DTX board inside the M1 first...
BROOO, thats freaking SICK!! Could you please send some pictures when you are done?

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
Of course :) but that'd be maybe Q2 2020 ;) I not gonna DIY a window - I am sure Wahaha360 will be much better at that, so gotta wait :D
Thanks! :) and i can wait, already waited 6 months for my case, and now even longer for it to arrive and go trhough customs, and those side panels, any idea when those will be in stock again?

lordzorg

Trash Compacter
Oct 27, 2019
Thanks! :) and i can wait, already waited 6 months for my case, and now even longer for it to arrive and go trhough customs, and those side panels, any idea when those will be in stock again?
I don't think there is a link for this right now, and afaik the design for the window is not decided on yet, I think someone somewhere on here or on discord mentioned that, could not find that info anymore. There is this thread about an earlier version of an Ncase M1 window M1 Window Kit by SFFLAB and there is this old page SFFLAB x NCASE Introduce Window Side Panel Kit For M1 Enclosure but that's all outdated.
I guess there are multiple choices to be made from their point of view:
a) tempered glass and/or acrylic
b) aluminium panel frame with glass / acrylic behind it [taking a tiny bit space from the inside of the case]
c) full glass panel with the mounting mechanism "glued" behind it [but that might not be flush on the outside, e.g. Optimum DIY'd a panel like that but you can see it does not sit flush DIY TG panel Optimum Tech - Not a big fan at all, as I would definitely want something flush with the existing case, for pretty much the same reason why I don't like the Ghost S1 - either use the Ghost S1 as-is or get something that fit's the AIO / rad by default, not by adding some extensions, just not my cup of tea as we say here ]
d) Something like what NZXT did with the H210i but that is likely not compatible with the existing side panel mechanism of the Ncase M1 incl v6.1
Anyway, my favourite would be tempered glass, reasonably thin, sitting behind an alumunium frame. But again, I think the guys from Ncase have more creativity and workmanship in that area, thus I won't even bother trying to DIY something. ;)

EDIT:
e) The guys from Thor Zone just announced their Glass V2 panels
So other options could be leaving a gap between mounting frame and glass for ventilation [I don't care for that], also I guess it is technically possible to make a vented glass panel before tempering the glass but probably difficult and expensive and unlikely yield [ but many would likely go for this b/c window + air flow = good compromise], and then there is a possibility to put the glass almost flush with the side panel, Mjolnir Glass Panel [probably the cleanest look] & Mjolnir Glass Panel ... let's see :)

Last edited:

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
a) tempered glass and/or acrylic
i wouldnt use acrylic, because with the quality of the rest of the case, it isnt that pretty
c) full glass panel with the mounting mechanism "glued" behind it [but that might not be flush on the outside, e.g. Optimum DIY'd a panel like that but you can see it does not sit flush DIY TG panel Optimum Tech - Not a big fan at all, as I would definitely want something flush with the existing case, for pretty much the same reason why I don't like the Ghost S1 - either use the Ghost S1 as-is or get something that fit's the AIO / rad by default, not by adding some extensions, just not my cup of tea as we say here ]
Im suprised that i havent seen that video yet lmao. But you could take some inspiration from it when you decide to go full DIY
d) Something like what NZXT did with the H210i but that is likely not compatible with the existing side panel mechanism of the Ncase M1 incl v6.1
I dont think it is, its beautiful, but uses screws, and M1 uses push pins. So MAYBE you can figure something out, but youll likely end up with a similar type of concept like Optiumum tech.
and i found the site where you can purchase them, but they are out of stock for quite some time now https://w360mod.com/

lordzorg

Trash Compacter
Oct 27, 2019
i wouldnt use acrylic, because with the quality of the rest of the case, it isnt that pretty

Im suprised that i havent seen that video yet lmao. But you could take some inspiration from it when you decide to go full DIY

I dont think it is, its beautiful, but uses screws, and M1 uses push pins. So MAYBE you can figure something out, but youll likely end up with a similar type of concept like Optiumum tech.
and i found the site where you can purchase them, but they are out of stock for quite some time now https://w360mod.com/
Absolutely, my old Fractal Nano S has an acrylic panel. The moment I wanted to dedust it the first time with the softest non-scratchy thing I had, it looked like .... TG all the way. - I really want the panel to look like it was meant to be there and not an afterthought. So anything that does not look flush with the case is not for me at all, I rather have the vented panel then :D
I have the H200i with 4 screws TG right now, which has been fine tbh. The H210i has a hinge mechanism and is only screwed in the back, but that would be a DIY job with the Ncase, so not sure that's how they would go. The most likely is something that fits the current mounting mechanism, which is TG - b) or e) above, with e) being my favourite b/c window is essentially flush with the frame and the frame fits like the original vented panel.
Thanks for the link, I did sign up for notifications but didn't bookmark it :D

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
Absolutely, my old Fractal Nano S has an acrylic panel. The moment I wanted to dedust it the first time with the softest non-scratchy thing I had, it looked like .... TG all the way. - I really want the panel to look like it was meant to be there and not an afterthought. So anything that does not look flush with the case is not for me at all, I rather have the vented panel then :D
I have the H200i with 4 screws TG right now, which has been fine tbh. The H210i has a hinge mechanism and is only screwed in the back, but that would be a DIY job with the Ncase, so not sure that's how they would go. The most likely is something that fits the current mounting mechanism, which is TG - b) or e) above, with e) being my favourite b/c window is essentially flush with the frame and the frame fits like the original vented panel.
Thanks for the link, I did sign up for notifications but didn't bookmark it :D
Hahaha, i have a corsair 100r right now, and it too has a acrylic side panel, but its all scratch up, looks like a cat just went absolutly crazy and scratched the wholething up.(i dont have a cat).
yeah i am happy that those guys from mjolnir designed something else, because those GPU temps would not be acceptable. And as for those new panels, i am not the biggest fan of glass with cutouts, but they look pretty clean. but will probably be expensive to make, and also to buy then.(LOOVEE the mjolnir, problem is for me that there is not AIO support)

lordzorg

Trash Compacter
Oct 27, 2019
yeah i am happy that those guys from mjolnir designed something else, because those GPU temps would not be acceptable. And as for those new panels, i am not the biggest fan of glass with cutouts, but they look pretty clean. but will probably be expensive to make, and also to buy then.(LOOVEE the mjolnir, problem is for me that there is not AIO support)
Same here, I like their case, very expensive but very clean, some teething issues as per Optimum Tech review, but most of that will likely be sorted out. Better than the A4 imo, but the Mjolnir only supports a very thin rad with one thin fan, or a 120mm rad with a thin fan .... , it's just too little for what I am planning to do. The Ncase M1 is the smallest case with AIO support that does not cut too many corners, all while looking the part. Most cases out there try to accomodate air cooling and AIO, the H200/H210 as well as the Nano S support ATX PSUs - just to accomodate more people, which I understand from a business point of view but not from an enthusiast point of view. My last air cooler was the Corsair A70 (2010) and I would not bother again with air cooler in the future, no matter how good the Noctuas are. I would like something purpose built for AIO / water cooling, with window, with good temps, in the most compact form. The M1 is very close to that with custom loop.

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
Same here, I like their case, very expensive but very clean, some teething issues as per Optimum Tech review, but most of that will likely be sorted out. Better than the A4 imo, but the Mjolnir only supports a very thin rad with one thin fan, or a 120mm rad with a thin fan .... , it's just too little for what I am planning to do. The Ncase M1 is the smallest case with AIO support that does not cut too many corners, all while looking the part. Most cases out there try to accomodate air cooling and AIO, the H200/H210 as well as the Nano S support ATX PSUs - just to accomodate more people, which I understand from a business point of view but not from an enthusiast point of view. My last air cooler was the Corsair A70 (2010) and I would not bother again with air cooler in the future, no matter how good the Noctuas are. I would like something purpose built for AIO / water cooling, with window, with good temps, in the most compact form. The M1 is very close to that with custom loop.
absolutly agree, i like the ghost S1, but the only reason why i didnt buy it is because of the top hats. Very clever system ngl, but the case with a large tophat just doesnt look that good, to much black space. And its almost as big as the M1 but at what cost? like 100/150 euro more in my case. And as for air cooling. I now run the stock cooler because there doesnt fit anything greater in my case now, and i dont want to waste to much money. So just waiting for the ncase, then im buying a nzxt x52 and liqiud metal. already have a pair of noctua fans because of acoustics. and air coolers just dont make it for me. I like very small cases, and a lot of hardware, and i dont know what it is, but just seeing a M1 with AIO, so its all cramped in there justt puts a smile on my fase :)
Same here, I like their case, very expensive but very clean, some teething issues as per Optimum Tech review, but most of that will likely be sorted out.
optimum tech had i prototype if i can remember. And with the launch it was all sorted out.
but the Mjolnir only supports a very thin rad with one thin fan, or a 120mm rad with a thin fan .... , it's just too little for what I am planning to do.
same here, one slim fan isnt good at all, and there are no really good 120mm rads. because the NZXT m22 is just garbage, and the H55 from corsair is pretty old. and you have some cooler masters out there but they just look cheap in my opinion

lordzorg

Trash Compacter
Oct 27, 2019
So just waiting for the ncase, then im buying a nzxt x52 and liqiud metal.
I delidded my my 4790k shortly after I got it, and been using liquid metal between die and IHS ever since, but between IHS and X52 I use Noctua's NT-H1. Both IHS and whatever AIO you use will discolour albeit only slightly from using liquid metal. All is good as long as there is no aluminium, but you still get discolouration, just to keep in mind. Of course, we could always go a little further ;) Delid Ryzen

Last edited:

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
I delidded my my 4790k shortly after I got it, and been using liquid metal between die and IHS ever since, but between IHS and X52 I use Noctua's NT-H1. Both IHS and whatever AIO you use will discolour albeit only slightly from using liquid metal. All is good as long as there is no aluminium, but you still get discolouration, just to keep in mind. Of course, we could always go a little further ;) Delid Ryzen
Well that colour change doesn't bother me that much, because ones its on, its on. And as for delidding ryzen? It's soldered on there, so the thermal conductivity is already better than those intel CPUs with trash thermal goop. And delidding a ryzen is pretty risky, because you need to heat it up in the oven, and hope that it works

lordzorg

Trash Compacter
Oct 27, 2019
Well that colour change doesn't bother me that much, because ones its on, its on. And as for delidding ryzen? It's soldered on there, so the thermal conductivity is already better than those intel CPUs with trash thermal goop. And delidding a ryzen is pretty risky, because you need to heat it up in the oven, and hope that it works
yh, just thought I'd mention. My old Kraken X60 was discoloured quite a bit but worked just fine. Also left some stain on the IHS of the cpu, so might affect eventual resale value and maybe even RMA if it were ever necessary RMA Liquid Metal Issues & another one Ryzen Liquid Metal IHS... ymmv
Wrt delidding Ryzen, was more of a joke, I won't bother. der8auer found 3-4C difference with Ryzen delid + sanding down the bottom of the IHS. Not worth the risk at all :)

Last edited:

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
yh, just thought I'd mention. My old Kraken X60 was discoloured quite a bit but worked just fine. Also left some stain on the IHS of the cpu, so might affect eventual resale value and maybe even RMA if it were ever necessary RMA Liquid Metal Issues & another one Ryzen Liquid Metal IHS... ymmv
Wrt delidding Ryzen, was more of a joke, I won't bother. der8auer found 3-4C difference with Ryzen delid + sanding down the bottom of the IHS. Not worth the risk at all :)
Yeah in not going to sell my CPU when I'm upgrading, in using my old CPU now as a server, so probs when I upgrade this one, I'll use it as my new server cpu

lordzorg

Trash Compacter
Oct 27, 2019
Yeah in not going to sell my CPU when I'm upgrading, in using my old CPU now as a server, so probs when I upgrade this one, I'll use it as my new server cpu
At the rate AMD is going, we all have 128 core cpus by 2025... This just out, Ryzen Threadripper direct die cooling ;) 3960X / 3970X Direct-Die Cooling
Anyway, I keep you posted if and when the Ncase custom loop project is gonna happen !

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019

erotavlas

Caliper Novice
Dec 17, 2019
Hi guys, what does this mean for the motherboards not on the list. (I want the Gigabyte X570-i Aorus Pro WiFi)
Does it mean we can't use the entire front IO at all, or just the single USB-C port?

Morgul

Chassis Packer
Dec 12, 2019
Hi guys, what does this mean for the motherboards not on the list. (I want the Gigabyte X570-i Aorus Pro WiFi)
Does it mean we can't use the entire front IO at all, or just the single USB-C port?

You can use only the 2 USB headers connecting them to the usb 3 header of the motherboard. There is no usb 3 type C header in the Gigabyte, so the usb type C of the Ncase will be useless there.

But you have ways to use it. It requires to buy additional stuff (read previous pages of this thread) but it also has some restrictions (like reduce de speed of the ports because the adaptors or even because they're connected to the usb 2 header of the motherboard).

In my case, I have bought the Asus ROG Strix x570 and I've discarded the USB C front port. Anyway I don't have anything that uses it.

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
Can confirm that there is no USB c connection, I have that motherboard and there is no such type of a connector