Motherboard Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I have been using this board for about a month now with the latest Bios and drivers installed from the Asrock site. About a week ago my CPU fan would randomly start spinning at 100%. The strange part is this would happen even when CPU Temps were low, and the even stranger part is that hardware monitoring software doesn't show fan speed being over 600rpm or so.

I'm using the fan/heatsinks from my old build and haven't done any thing different. May need to play with some fan tuning but it seems quite random.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I have been using this board for about a month now with the latest Bios and drivers installed from the Asrock site. About a week ago my CPU fan would randomly start spinning at 100%. The strange part is this would happen even when CPU Temps were low, and the even stranger part is that hardware monitoring software doesn't show fan speed being over 600rpm or so.

I'm using the fan/heatsinks from my old build and haven't done any thing different. May need to play with some fan tuning but it seems quite random.
That sounds really weird, especially since speed control and rpm monitoring on fans are completely separate parts - there's no reason for the failure of one to affect the other. The RPM sensor should just be a hall effect sensor monitoring the magnetic field of the rotor in the fan, so it shouldn't really be possible for it to not match the actual fan speed without failing outright. When this happens, does the rpm vary at all? In my head, that specific error sounds like it's motherboard-side, not with the fan :/

Ricky Zeng

Trash Compacter
Jun 10, 2020
I am almost positive it's in there somewhere. I remember seeing it when I was going through my bios setup
Found out why. I've been on the older v1.2 BIOS. Just updated to the latest v1.8, and the PCI-E Gen selection is now added in the AMD PBS section. I guess Asrock really rushed thru the launch of this motherboard...

Reactions: NinoPecorino

orekart

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 11, 2020
I ordered the Asrock board for my Ncase build and ran into this same issue. Even with the Silverstone cable I could not install the psu. I could only ever align on of the screws for the psu bracket.
Yep. Same story here. I am not satisfied about forcing it into position and here are the pictures to show that:

No problem with the 90-deg SATA connector included with the motherboard from ASRock.

The obstruction is 1-2mm so I guess some PSU might not be as wide (but the bracket is to size so I think that's not the problem). For $10/cable it might be worth grinding down the CP11 so it will fit without bowing and being under stress. I think the CP11 design is just stupid because "low profile" is what ships from ASRock and not what Silverstone CP11 are.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Yep. Same story here. I am not satisfied about forcing it into position and here are the pictures to show that:

No problem with the 90-deg SATA connector included with the motherboard from ASRock.

The obstruction is 1-2mm so I guess some PSU might not be as wide (but the bracket is to size so I think that's not the problem). For $10/cable it might be worth grinding down the CP11 so it will fit without bowing and being under stress. I think the CP11 design is just stupid because "low profile" is what ships from ASRock and not what Silverstone CP11 are.

I had bought the Silverstone cable in anticipation of my build too, and found it didn't fit but the included ASRock cable did fit. Luckily I only need the one, not sure what I'd do if I needed a 2nd.