Motherboard ASUS B550I-Strix

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
This is weird...

I made a hackintosh and I don’t have receiver thanks to a DW1560 chip.

You can’t use one receiver for all devices ?
Or you can’t use the hub of your screen ???

if only ALL device makers use the same receiver, oh I'm only on Earth and not on some fantasy land. And no, my monitor doesn't have a hub and why should I pay for a hub on top of a 200-300 USD motherboard?

Reactions: riba2233

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017

I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to this, but I don't think many users do this since it doesn't look nice and may add delay in the input lag. Hence why people use keyboards directly to the motherboard. Hubs aren't that reliable either in this regard.

manoueltiger

Trash Compacter
Mar 10, 2020
woooooow calm down !
It’s not my fault if you don’t think before making a configuration...
And monitor with a hub is the minimum now !

take a look at Logitech and you will understand what I mean.
I’m not responsible of the lack of your knowledge.... so read and come after here

I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to this, but I don't think many users do this since it doesn't look nice and may add delay in the input lag. Hence why people use keyboards directly to the motherboard. Hubs aren't that reliable either in this regard.
Wow... I use mine on a LG 27UK850-W and I have no lag.

• Haha
Reactions: thelaughingman

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
woooooow calm down !
It’s not my fault if you don’t think before making a configuration...
And monitor with a hub is the minimum now !

take a look at Logitech and you will understand what I mean.
I’m not responsible of the lack of your knowledge.... so read and come after here

Alright, calm down a bit bud. No reason to get upset or so :)

Wow... I use mine on a LG 27UK850-W and I have no lag.

Well I was just mostly thinking of a possible way of someone may not use it in a certain way and input lag can be cause of that.

Keeping in mind though that I have zero knowledge nor proof of this, just an thought. Which may fully be completely wrong and if that's the case, then it's alright.
As I said, was just an thought I had.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This is weird...

I made a hackintosh and I don’t have receiver thanks to a DW1560 chip.

What you are describing is bluetooth. It is also quite astounding that you're accusing people here of not planning out their builds and of lacking knowledge when you demonstrably don't know the difference between bluetooth and proprietary wireless technologies. Not all wireless peripherals are bluetooth peripherals - far from it. Most use proprietary 2.4GHz RF signals with bespoke receivers. At least when it comes to gaming peripherals this is largely to improve response times, as bluetooth is a slow and high latency standard that was never designed for low-latency use. BT is extremely handy in a lot of situations (such as reducing the need for dongles) but in terms of responsiveness, stability and signal quality, the hierarchy is, has always been, and will likely always be wired>proprietary 2.4GHz>Bluetooth. A lot of mobile mice these days (such as some from Logitech) allow for either BT or 2.4GHz connections, and the difference in input latency (at least for my M720) is night and day. Playing games is tolerable with the dongle, but outright impossible using bluetooth. Even desktop usage feels laggy for anything that requires a modicum of speed if using BT - but it's entirely fine for web browsing, text editing and other general use.

Now can we stop this stupid argument and get back to the board? If you need more than four USB-A on your motherboard, this is clearly not for you (unless you buy a couple of cheap C-to-A dongles). If you don't, there's still no need to be an ass towards those who do.

I think this looks like a nice enough board, and I'm glad it ditches the X570-I Strix' gigantic m.2+chipset heatsink (I guess they took the name AMD Promontory a bit too literally with that design?), but the VRM cooling fan is indeed annoying, as is the use of only two phases for the SoC. Hopefully they are high quality, at least. I also hope the HDMI port is 2.1 compatible (MSI claims that for their ITX board), though the lack of mention of it makes me think it's unlikely.

Also, 2.5GbE would be great if it weren't the hardware bugged Intel chip ... I mean, what's the point of using a 2.5GbE chip that has a bug that can bring speeds down to 10-100Mbps? A normal GbE controller would be better at that point. Or Realtek's ... actually working 2.5GbE controller, of course.

manoueltiger

Trash Compacter
Mar 10, 2020
@ dawelio and valantar :
Sorry, but my reaction was towards thelaughingman who prefers laughing at the face of other members but have no arguments.

yours are interesting, and thanks, I know the difference between BT and RF devices.
I was just wondering how someone can use more than 4 USB ports that’s all.

and I had the answering, I’m working on a hackintosh and Mac. That’s all.
Bye

• Haha
Reactions: thelaughingman

aksff

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 6, 2020
This board is 2 USB-A ports and Optical S/PDIF out away from perfect, but it's still the one for me

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
BT and RF receivers have their flaws, first one being security related. About USB, I only use 3 for keyboard, mouse and USB DAC. I use a third one when I need to attach a USB storage, my data are stored on a NAS and my printer is connected through Wifi.

I can understand the need for more USB ports, but nowaday NAS are affordable and wifi printer is the norm. Many peripherals uses BT or Wifi direct too (headsets, gamepad, keyboard, even drawing tablets).

My monitor do not have USB by the way, and it ain't a cheap one (Asus PRO Art).

That Asus has 2x USB-C which is very uncommon on ITX ... and a header for another one. USB-C docks are very convenient and provides more USB-A, along side card readers and more ... from a single port, should you need it (and you can place it where ever you want).

ITX comes with some contraints, keep that in mind. There is only that much space on the PCB for traces to be put ... and adding more layers just increase the price.

Also .... please keep this thread civil. This board might not be your dream board, but let's not fight over a USB port ...

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
@ dawelio and valantar :
Sorry, but my reaction was towards thelaughingman who prefers laughing at the face of other members but have no arguments.

yours are interesting, and thanks, I know the difference between BT and RF devices.
I was just wondering how someone can use more than 4 USB ports that’s all.

and I had the answering, I’m working on a hackintosh and Mac. That’s all.
Bye
How many usb ports you need depends on what you connect. If all your peripherals are bt you obviously don't need any. In my case, I need one for my mouse receiver, one for my keyboard, one for my DAC, and one for my Xbox controller receiver at a minimum. Front USB is used for an SD card reader and other various stuff regularly. Still, I would be happy with 4 rear type-A ports plus front USB as I have a couple of hubs lying around should i need it.

Still, the Gigabyte board looks like a far better choice for me - good enough that one might end up in both my new HTPC and my main rig after a while. Bug-free Realtek 2.5GbE, good enough VRM (barring the use of terrible power phases that will heavily limit iGPU OC of course), two m.2, and everything else I want. Probably a lot cheaper than this Asus too.

Reactions: manoueltiger

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
A different question; perhaps any knowledgeable forum member can help me:

- What type & diameter of fan is used on the VRM heatsink?
- If one day it becomes defective, how can I get replacement?

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017

Regarding that question, I'd personally think of, say and recommend to contact ASUS directly. Cause I'd suspect that they have done some wanky design thingy to the motherboard itself and/or the cover of that area, to make it not that easy to just replace it.

And perhaps even void your warranty by doing so in the process.

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
if it's anything like the one I had in my Z87 gryphon + thermal armor kit, it might be 35mm (but take that with a pinch of salt). The thermal armor came with a 35mm, but the bracket was also compatible with 40mm.

Edit: he Asus X570-I Gaming uses a 40mm on the VRM heatsink. Chances are they reused the same one.

Last edited:
Reactions: ignsvn

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018

The Z490-I Gaming uses a 'custom' Delta Superflo fan to cool the VRM. I expect Asus would use the same fan for the B550-I Strix.
Regarding the size, it has to be either 40x10 or 35x10. My Asus Z87 Sabertooth has two little fans (both 35x10, but Asus provides an adapter to use 40x10). I think my friend's Z170 Sabertooth has the same two fans.
I am betting both Z490-I and B550-I use the same fan.

Reactions: Phuncz and ignsvn

Glint

Master Lurker
Jul 20, 2018
So, when comparing the asus X570 itx against their b550 itx, I noticed a few things:

• B550 and X570 appear to use the same VRM description, but visually the layout is different
  • X570 has waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy more rear I/O
  • B550 has higher max memory frequency
  • (sources used: Asus X570 ITX Asus B550 ITX)
...And those R9 3950x are looking pretty good right now... to wait, or not to wait...this is always the question. Then there's also Z490 trying very hard to prove that I have more money than I have sense.

• Haha
Reactions: Phuncz and Dawelio

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
So, when comparing the asus X570 itx against their b550 itx, I noticed a few things:

• B550 and X570 appear to use the same VRM description, but visually the layout is different
...And those R9 3950x are looking pretty good right now... to wait, or not to wait...this is always the question. Then there's also Z490 trying very hard to prove that I have more money than I have sense.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

So I found a 3950x listed on ebay for $369.99, brand new. It's from a new ebay seller from Baku, Azerbaijan Republic with no rating. Now you know that has to be legit. Actually prices on 3900x are really good right now, under $420.

• Haha
Reactions: Glint

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Thanks for the info @tinyitx , @GuilleAcoustic . Yeah as long as it's user-replacable & (3rd party) parts are available :)
Forgot to mention that the 4 little fans of the above mentioned Z87 Sabertooth and Z170 Sabertooth are still working flawlessly and as quiet as day 1 (with compressed air cleaning about every 6 months). My Z87 Sabertooth was built around Dec 2013 and is 7.5 years old.

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Forgot to mention that the 4 little fans of the above mentioned Z87 Sabertooth and Z170 Sabertooth are still working flawlessly and as quiet as day 1 (with compressed air cleaning about every 6 months). My Z87 Sabertooth was built around Dec 2013 and is 7.5 years old.

Sabertooth lineup was great, the TUF one is a gimmick.

The Z87 Gryphon that I had was the mATX version and I really wish Asus could make a board like this for today's platforms...

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016

The fan it's a 6.9mm 30x30mm. I couldn't find any replacement for it. The closer is a DELTA but is 5V, so it didn't work!