News ASRock show-off Micro-STX system with MXM & TB3 @CES 2017

Hi All

ASRock are happy to display our new model - Deskmini RX/GTX @CES 2017.
You can get more picture in :https://www.cool3c.com/article/116315/CES-2017-華擎展出具可擴充-MXM-獨立顯示卡的-micro-STX-主機板原型主機

This is prototype of Deskmini RX/GTX
Considering there are so many SFF enthusiasts still need more powerful 3D graphics performance, why don't we extend Mini-STX to larger board: based on 5x5 screw holes but implement MXM, more video outputs, m.2 connectors, even Thunderbolt 3!

And that is world's firsts' MICRO-STX system:
  • Support up to Intel® Core i7 7700K CPU
  • Support Intel box cooler
  • Intel Z270 (B250) Chipset
  • Support MXM Type B, up to 120W
    • RX = AMD RX480/470/460
    • GTX = NVIDIA GTX1060
  • Intel® Thunderbolt 3 with Type-C
  • 3 x M.2 2260/2280 slots
  • 1 x M.2 2230 Wi-Fi slot
  • AURA RGB LED connector!
  • Support Intel® Optane™ Technology
  • 2.x Liter!
  • 19V/220W adapter
ASRock planned sell barebones (include motherboard, MXM card, MXM cooler, chassis and adapter) and open mind corporate with system builder to develop new mini PC in micro STX motherboard. It should be launched on 2017 Q2.

Last edited:

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Thank you so much to Bill for the answers and Kmpkt for testing the coolers! I feel more optimistic about the future of the platform now. It's great that the L9i fits without modding though with a 7700K, I imagine the RAM will get quite toasty. You may actually benefit from RAM with heatsinks, like the HyperX Impact.

Would the C7 + Noctua A12x15 fit? That may be the best option.

Linus said in his video that NVidia was considering retiring the MXM standard? Is that true? If so, what are they replacing it with?

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Well done man, amazing work !

I hope the next ASRock MXM system will have a more centered CPU socket and maybe a singular large heatsink for both CPU and GPU, since I believe both chips should be in the same respective area (roughly). This would allow a shared heatsink cooling capacity (meaning better temp/noise when not 100% CPU + 100% GPU load) and better fans.
It would be possible for a heatpipe-like system like HDPlex and Streacom use, to move the heat to another area. To me it would seem the rear of the motherboard would be an ideal (flat) place although the M.2 slots would be an issue.

That would be ideal, perhaps with a single slim 140mm fan. I wonder why the GPU heatsink is missing the upper fins on one side. Seems to be enough clearance for them.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
C7? Does it support that heigh cpu coolers? Thanks for the quick demonstrations btw.

The C7 only sits 2-3mm higher than the MXM cooler, so I think it should be fine. AsRock has made the case quite thick when compared with say the CustomMod Nano 1.6L which I believe comfortably accepts an L9i. I will be moving my Z270M-STX into this case tonight and will be able to tell people what works in that as well if anyone is interested.

aaaron

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2017
The C7 only sits 2-3mm higher than the MXM cooler, so I think it should be fine. AsRock has made the case quite thick when compared with say the CustomMod Nano 1.6L which I believe comfortably accepts an L9i. I will be moving my Z270M-STX into this case tonight and will be able to tell people what works in that as well if anyone is interested.

How were the results for the CustomMod Nano 1.6L? Any surprising findings?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The stock cooler on the MXM card is much too high and I haven't gotten around to redoing it with the custom one @sergiiua supplied me. Unfortunately I am in the situation where either the motherboard bios is out of date and won't detect the GPU (at all) or the GPU is a dud. I just received the new BIOS this morning, so fingers crossed that it works.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
@Kmpkt I have seen that the HDMI ports are funny - Make sure and try BOTH ports before giving up! The one closer to the MXM card works when the card is in, and the other one works when it is out. Have not researched in full, just first impression.

Also, anybody have pinout on the tiny GPU fan connector? Looks to be x U G Y B, using Intel's color mapping yields N/C PWM TACH 12V GND.

Last edited:

aaaron

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2017
The stock cooler on the MXM card is much too high and I haven't gotten around to redoing it with the custom one @sergiiua supplied me. Unfortunately I am in the situation where either the motherboard bios is out of date and won't detect the GPU (at all) or the GPU is a dud. I just received the new BIOS this morning, so fingers crossed that it works.

Is it worth getting the 7700k? Seems like it’s fine to use a 91w cpu in the deskmini (not sure why they state a 65w max). Does the motherboard actually prevent itself going past 65 watts or something? It would probably be much cooler using lp53 + a9x14 or Noctua l9i or cryorig c7 but I guess I would have to wait for someone to post temps for stress tests.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
Is it worth getting the 7700k? Seems like it’s fine to use a 91w cpu in the deskmini (not sure why they state a 65w max). Does the motherboard actually prevent itself going past 65 watts or something? It would probably be much cooler using lp53 + a9x14 or Noctua l9i or cryorig c7 but I guess I would have to wait for someone to post temps for stress tests.
I believe the VRMs are over-capacity with the 90w+ processors - They use over 150W in worst-case scenario!

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You can use it with the 7700K, but you can't overclock. Considering the MXM GPU tops out at the same height as a ~45mm CPU cooler, cooling it with something like the C7 should be possible. I think the reason they have intended the board to be used with 65W CPUs is that it leaves more power overhead for the GPU since the entire thing runs off a 270W brick.

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
But also, you can readily get a 330W adapter, which is good short-term up to 400W. Adequate cooling, though, is the hard thing.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Honestly you're probably going to have a hard time getting a 330W adapter due to the fact that AsRock went with a 4pin DIN instead of the 7.4mm barrel connector you see on units such as the Dell 330W. You can always manually swap the plug, but I'm not sure if it is advisable to do so or not as the rated amperage of the 4pin DIN pretty much perfectly matches the 270W power supply. Pushing 330W through a 4 pin DIN could create issues of the pyrotechnic variety.

Reactions: neovintage

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
Is there anyone know that could this little beast be a Hackintosh?

I'm not sure but that would be awesome since Mac mini didn't get any update for the last 3 years. Nvidia released macOS drivers for High Sierra.