News ASRock show-off Micro-STX system with MXM & TB3 @CES 2017

Hi All

ASRock are happy to display our new model - Deskmini RX/GTX @CES 2017.
You can get more picture in :https://www.cool3c.com/article/116315/CES-2017-華擎展出具可擴充-MXM-獨立顯示卡的-micro-STX-主機板原型主機

This is prototype of Deskmini RX/GTX
Considering there are so many SFF enthusiasts still need more powerful 3D graphics performance, why don't we extend Mini-STX to larger board: based on 5x5 screw holes but implement MXM, more video outputs, m.2 connectors, even Thunderbolt 3!

And that is world's firsts' MICRO-STX system:
  • Support up to Intel® Core i7 7700K CPU
  • Support Intel box cooler
  • Intel Z270 (B250) Chipset
  • Support MXM Type B, up to 120W
    • RX = AMD RX480/470/460
    • GTX = NVIDIA GTX1060
  • Intel® Thunderbolt 3 with Type-C
  • 3 x M.2 2260/2280 slots
  • 1 x M.2 2230 Wi-Fi slot
  • AURA RGB LED connector!
  • Support Intel® Optane™ Technology
  • 2.x Liter!
  • 19V/220W adapter
ASRock planned sell barebones (include motherboard, MXM card, MXM cooler, chassis and adapter) and open mind corporate with system builder to develop new mini PC in micro STX motherboard. It should be launched on 2017 Q2.

Last edited:

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I'm not sure but that would be awesome since Mac mini didn't get any update for the last 3 years. Nvidia released macOS drivers for High Sierra.
Tim Cook said thet it is still relevant and it will be updated in the near future. I specualte that it will be updated very soon.

Po_617

Case Bender
Oct 19, 2017
I'm not sure but that would be awesome since Mac mini didn't get any update for the last 3 years. Nvidia released macOS drivers for High Sierra.
I don't think graphics card will be a problem. My only concern is the motherboard.

mike349

Trash Compacter
Mar 28, 2017
Hello! Thinking to going over DeskMini 110 (really like that mini concept), without GPU, using only CPU-s integrated Intel HD, but I have some questions:

1. Does DeskMini supports upcoming Coffee Lake CPU ? Thought that i5 would be great for me.
2. Best and most silent CPU cooler ? Really want it sound as quiet as it can be :)

Last edited:

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
Hello! Thinking to going over DeskMini 110 (really like that mini concept), without GPU, using only CPU-s integrated Intel HD, but I have some questions:

1. Does DeskMini supports upcoming Coffee Lake CPU ? Thought that i5 would be great for me.
2. Best and most silent CPU cooler ? Really want it sound as quiet as it can be :)

Coffee Lake is unsupported on 200-series chipsets, and required 300-series boards and chipsets exclusively.
The 'best and most silent' CPU cooler could be normal size cooler, with a 65W TDP on the recommended processors. If you're looking for ITX (and STX) size and compatibility, you're likely in the market for a Noctua NH-L9i.

And yes, integrated video sans dGPU works fine.

mike349

Trash Compacter
Mar 28, 2017
Coffee Lake is unsupported on 200-series chipsets, and required 300-series boards and chipsets exclusively.
The 'best and most silent' CPU cooler could be normal size cooler, with a 65W TDP on the recommended processors. If you're looking for ITX (and STX) size and compatibility, you're likely in the market for a Noctua NH-L9i.

And yes, integrated video sans dGPU works fine.

Thank you!

So this build will be OK ?

Case: ASRock DESKMINI 110/B/BB
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-7600 Processor
CPU cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler
RAM: G.Skill DDR4 RipJaws 8GB SO-DIMM 2400MHz
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO SSD M.2 2280 250GB
SSD 2: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB (I have)
HDD: Western Digital WDC WD10EFRX-68JCSN0 (SATA) (I have)
Wifi+BT: Intel® Wireless-AC 9260

fadsarmy

Caliper Novice
Oct 24, 2017
Looks like a powerful system and should be okay, hopefully the desk mini 110 will support kaby lake out of the box.

Geerryh

Chassis Packer
Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone else tested the 1080 version? I got mine today. The GPU temperature always stables at around 88c (190f) in games. Based on the BIOS, anything above 80c is critical temperature and the fan is forced to max out to be a jet engine. Any solution?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Have you considered swapping the thermal paste to something like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Most manufacturers don't use the best paste and I know that the heatsink comes pre-installed. Cheap and easy way to possibly boost performance.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Geerryh

Chassis Packer
Oct 26, 2017
Have you considered swapping the thermal paste to something like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Most manufacturers don't use the best paste and I know that the heatsink comes pre-installed. Cheap and easy way to possibly boost performance.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, the 88c comes exactly from Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. The original paste shown around 92c. I am thinking of swapping to liquid metal, but not too sure if the bottleneck is the compound or the heatsink/fan.

The fan does not seem to be a top build like the noctua I am using for CPU but it seems non standard so not easy to find a better replacement.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I'd be nice if third party GPU coolers existed for MXM, like if Noctua made one. Then we can have a ~2L case that accommodates an L9x65 + a larger GPU cooler.

aaaron

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2017
Thank you for the reply. Yes, the 88c comes exactly from Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. The original paste shown around 92c. I am thinking of swapping to liquid metal, but not too sure if the bottleneck is the compound or the heatsink/fan.

The fan does not seem to be a top build like the noctua I am using for CPU but it seems non standard so not easy to find a better replacement.

Those temps are pretty high I guess I will need to wait out for their next micro-stx case...

Geerryh

Chassis Packer
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be nice if third party GPU coolers existed for MXM, like if Noctua made one. Then we can have a ~2L case that accommodates an L9x65 + a larger GPU cooler.

I actually did some measurement and found some alternative fans on ebay/amazon/newegg. Those are genetic brand from china as repair parts for the graphic cards. But they are used in branded cards and comes with few more blades than the stock 6 blade. So there is a chance to be quieter. I have ordered one from ebay to test out. Just 8 bucks.

Those fit to the current 1080 heatsink should be 75mm with 40mm screw hole distance. 12V 4pin.

Reactions: QuantumBraced

Geerryh

Chassis Packer
Oct 26, 2017
Those temps are pretty high I guess I will need to wait out for their next micro-stx case...

I would wait if I knew that. I kinda prefer 1070 version since the same heatsink is more likely to be adequate and the performance is totally sufficient for me. Unfortunately it seems the 1070 is diverted to be sold in Taiwan and other Asia countries and I don't see asrock rush to launch it in the states.

aaaron

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2017
I actually did some measurement and found some alternative fans on ebay/amazon/newegg. Those are genetic brand from china as repair parts for the graphic cards. But they are used in branded cards and comes with few more blades than the stock 6 blade. So there is a chance to be quieter. I have ordered one from ebay to test out. Just 8 bucks.

Those fit to the current 1080 heatsink should be 75mm with 40mm screw hole distance. 12V 4pin.

Thank you for the valuable information! Keep us updated. Curious to see how alternative fans do in comparison to stock. Also, you said your using Noctua fans. What cpu are you using with it? And, how is the fan noise and temps? It would probably be hard to tell with the gpu fan blasting.

I would wait if I knew that. I kinda prefer 1070 version since the same heatsink is more likely to be adequate and the performance is totally sufficient for me. Unfortunately it seems the 1070 is diverted to be sold in Taiwan and other Asia countries and I don't see asrock rush to launch it in the states.

Yeah I was waiting on the 1070 version due to the high cost of 1080 but they didn’t seem eager to launch it on Newegg anytime soon.

Last edited:

aaaron

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2017

What kind of temps are you getting if you don't mind me asking?

Geerryh

Chassis Packer
Oct 26, 2017

Quick update: Asrock tech support replied that the 1080 GPU should not exceed 85c in 3DMark (I assume it means 3DMark stress test) in room temperature of 35c. This is much lower than the 88-90c I got considering my room temperature is around 20c. I have filed the replacement request. Unfortunately the back and forth shipping is going to take a while.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Received the 1080 this afternoon. Will try to see if I get similar thermals. What were you running specifically to get those temps and with what settings?