News ASRock show-off Micro-STX system with MXM & TB3 @CES 2017

Hi All

ASRock are happy to display our new model - Deskmini RX/GTX @CES 2017.
You can get more picture in :https://www.cool3c.com/article/116315/CES-2017-華擎展出具可擴充-MXM-獨立顯示卡的-micro-STX-主機板原型主機

This is prototype of Deskmini RX/GTX
Considering there are so many SFF enthusiasts still need more powerful 3D graphics performance, why don't we extend Mini-STX to larger board: based on 5x5 screw holes but implement MXM, more video outputs, m.2 connectors, even Thunderbolt 3!

And that is world's firsts' MICRO-STX system:
  • Support up to Intel® Core i7 7700K CPU
  • Support Intel box cooler
  • Intel Z270 (B250) Chipset
  • Support MXM Type B, up to 120W
    • RX = AMD RX480/470/460
    • GTX = NVIDIA GTX1060
  • Intel® Thunderbolt 3 with Type-C
  • 3 x M.2 2260/2280 slots
  • 1 x M.2 2230 Wi-Fi slot
  • AURA RGB LED connector!
  • Support Intel® Optane™ Technology
  • 2.x Liter!
  • 19V/220W adapter
ASRock planned sell barebones (include motherboard, MXM card, MXM cooler, chassis and adapter) and open mind corporate with system builder to develop new mini PC in micro STX motherboard. It should be launched on 2017 Q2.

Last edited:

whum

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2017
Was thinking about getting on of the 1080 versions that just dropped on Newegg. I noticed here that the 7700k 91W TDP is said to be supported? Everywhere else says 65w max (7700 non k)

https://www.asrock.com/nettop/intel/DeskMini GTXRX/#CPU

Can't seem to find what CPU cooler to use. What's the height clearance ? Could you use anything that would keep the 7700k cool?

Here goes the stupid nub question: any chance of water cooling the CPU and gPU to be able to crank them ?

So, based on this video from Taiwan (I don't speak Taiwanese so look into this for yourself) it would appear that these guys are running a i7-7700K with the 1060 version at least, at least according to a system info shot around the 49 minute mark. They don't seem to be having any issues. As far as a cooler, I know a Noctua NHL9I would probably clear it fine. It would probably keep it much quieter than stock, but I don't know how much cooler. Looks like the guys in this vid went with stock cooler.

As a side note, they show the CPU and GPU getting toasty during game play of some high end games, but I'm actually not too bothered by the levels. Seems like with proper settings you might be able to keep high end gameplay in the 80's (Celsius)? Again though, I don't speak the language, so I'm just jumping around and looking for visual clues.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The B250 chipset doesn't officially support K series CPUs and overclocking, but I reckon it can take the chip with the limitation that you can't change clocks. There is a Z270 version of the board that would enable these features, but it hasn't been released in channel (ie. to the public). As far as coolers, straight block shaped coolers like the L9i can have conflicts with the DC-In housing (the L9i specifically will need some Dremeling). Round style or recurve style coolers would likely be fine. As far as clearance for the CPU cooler, I believe the top of the GPU cooler sits at a level on par with a 37mm CPU cooler. Because I only have a board and not the case, I can't comment as to how much more space is inside for an aftermarket cooler.

Also the guy on the left in that AsRock video is Bill Chen. He is certifiably awesome and so far as I know both of their Socket-2011 motherboards and Micro-STX are his babies. Mad props to Bill @ASRock System !

whum

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2017
I had no idea who Bill Chen was nor did I realize that was him in the vid. Also didn't know the potential issues with a cooler like the Noctua for this particular situation. I'm learning tons since joining this forum. Thanks for sharing. He ought to be proud (I hope) because these are awesome concepts and I'm hopeful that he's pushing SFF forward a lot, and at such an amazingly perfect time with coffee lake and more around the corner. Hope we see some leaps and bounds in SFF in the next couple of years.

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Was thinking about getting on of the 1080 versions that just dropped on Newegg. I noticed here that the 7700k 91W TDP is said to be supported? Everywhere else says 65w max (7700 non k)

https://www.asrock.com/nettop/intel/DeskMini GTXRX/#CPU

Can't seem to find what CPU cooler to use. What's the height clearance ? Could you use anything that would keep the 7700k cool?

Here goes the stupid nub question: any chance of water cooling the CPU and gPU to be able to crank them ?

I used 7700k (delidded) and Noctua L9i on Asrock B250M-STX MXM without any issues.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
How did you get past the conflict between the L9i and the DC Jack?

whum

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2017
Oh, sorry, you are right. I used Zalman instead of L9i.
Would you mind saying which Zalman you used? Are these considered good coolers? I ask because I'm building the Deskmini 110 for a friend and I've only ever seen the Noctua mentioned for that clearance (other than stock of course) and would definitely like another option, just to be safe.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
My guess would be the CNPS2X. Very low profile (27mm I believe) and is more than adequate for a 65W chip.

aaaron

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2017
Does anyone know the warranty length for mxm cards such as the ones from Aetina or is it actually standard one year? I asked asrock sales and they said there was no plans for a 1070 deskmini release and that it was standard one year warranty, I don’t believe the first half of that sentence to be true so wanted to see if anyone knows.

aaaron

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2017
I believe Aetina's cards are good for a year.

Hmm alright do mxm graphics cards usually only have one year warranty? Curious as I'm not sure many people have experience purchasing them outside of ebay and used mxm cards.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I think it's only worth it if you put it some custom sub-2L case. Otherwise, at 2.7L you may as well go a bit bigger and get an S4 Mini or even CustomMod's 3.5L case + the G-Unique PSU.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
does this mean its likely to sell out on Newegg now ? i'm still on the fence, fundage just a bit to tight these days
https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16856158060?cm_re=Deskmini-_-56-158-060-_-Product
I would go for it if you have the money!
I think it's only worth it if you put it some custom sub-2L case. Otherwise, at 2.7L you may as well go a bit bigger and get an S4 Mini or even CustomMod's 3.5L case + the G-Unique PSU.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
It's a real bummer than the Li9 doesn't fit. Is the Zalman cooler even better than the Intel stock cooler? It's meant for ultra-thin cases, but otherwise performance is barely acceptable. So what's the best cooler for the board?