News ASRock show-off Micro-STX system with MXM & TB3 @CES 2017

Hi All

ASRock are happy to display our new model - Deskmini RX/GTX @CES 2017.
You can get more picture in :https://www.cool3c.com/article/116315/CES-2017-華擎展出具可擴充-MXM-獨立顯示卡的-micro-STX-主機板原型主機

This is prototype of Deskmini RX/GTX
Considering there are so many SFF enthusiasts still need more powerful 3D graphics performance, why don't we extend Mini-STX to larger board: based on 5x5 screw holes but implement MXM, more video outputs, m.2 connectors, even Thunderbolt 3!

And that is world's firsts' MICRO-STX system:
  • Support up to Intel® Core i7 7700K CPU
  • Support Intel box cooler
  • Intel Z270 (B250) Chipset
  • Support MXM Type B, up to 120W
    • RX = AMD RX480/470/460
    • GTX = NVIDIA GTX1060
  • Intel® Thunderbolt 3 with Type-C
  • 3 x M.2 2260/2280 slots
  • 1 x M.2 2230 Wi-Fi slot
  • AURA RGB LED connector!
  • Support Intel® Optane™ Technology
  • 2.x Liter!
  • 19V/220W adapter
ASRock planned sell barebones (include motherboard, MXM card, MXM cooler, chassis and adapter) and open mind corporate with system builder to develop new mini PC in micro STX motherboard. It should be launched on 2017 Q2.

Last edited:

Geerryh

Chassis Packer
Oct 26, 2017
Received the 1080 this afternoon. Will try to see if I get similar thermals. What were you running specifically to get those temps and with what settings?

Changed the compound to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Machine standing up
3DMark stress test (Fire Strike) /Battlefield 4 /PUBG (1920*1020 all ultra) - all stable at 88-90c after around 3-5mins.
Fan strategy setting does not matter since the fan speed forced to max when above 80c.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Was there throttling of the GPU frequency or did you not track that?

Geerryh

Chassis Packer
Oct 26, 2017
Was there throttling of the GPU frequency or did you not track that?

No throttling. The frequency remains around 1560Hz.

According to Nvidia the base frequency of 1080 is at 1607Hz so there is a bit of throttling? Cool the unit with a external fan drops GPU temp to around 78-80c which does give the frequency a slight boost to around 1600Hz.

Last edited:

mike349

Trash Compacter
Mar 28, 2017
Got my DeskMini 110 and I'm soooo satisfied with it! This thing is really-really small and it is just, what I needed! :)

My config is:

Case: ASRock DESKMINI 110/B/BB
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-7600 Processor
CPU cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler
RAM: Kingston HyperX Impact SODIMM DDR4 8GB (1x8GB) 2400MHz CL14 KHX-HX424S14IB28
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO SSD M.2 2280 250GB
SSD 2: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB

Maybe I add Intel WiFi+BT module too, it depends by my needs.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
There is one review for the 1080 variant on Newegg, again saying that the GPU gets too hot (90+C) and fan runs at max RPM and is super loud, louder than laptops with 1080s. I guess ASRock messed up the cooling on the GPU.

I wish there were 3rd party MXM coolers. It would be great if someone made a bracket that adapts LGA 1151 to MXM, then problem solved.

Reactions: thewizzard1

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
the GPU gets too hot (90+C) and fan runs at max RPM and is super loud, louder than laptops with 1080s. I guess ASRock messed up the cooling on the GPU.

Does the MXM GTX 1080 perform anywhere near the same as a PCIe full sized GTX 1080?

The desktop GTX 1080 has a TDP of 180w, perhaps the MXM version is lower? But looking at the photos in the product images the heatsink that's trying to cool the MXM module is smaller than even something like the Noctua NH-L9, which at best can cool a 95w TDP CPU if the conditions are ideal, but even then the L9 struggles when stressed. So even if the MXM TDP is half that of the desktop version you are still pushing what such a small heatsink is physically capable of.

The Deskmini GTX case looks like it draws air in through the side panel, but its main exhaust fins are pointing forward, there are no vents on the front of the case, therefore a significant proportion of the GPU exhaust heat is going to recirculate in the case making conditions for the tiny heatsink even worse.

I am very surprised by this cooling solution for such a high end GPU, it does not look anywhere near substantial enough.

Reactions: QuantumBraced

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I wish there were 3rd party MXM coolers.
On it.

Does the MXM GTX 1080 perform anywhere near the same as a PCIe full sized GTX 1080?
Received a 1080 unit from AsRock last week and will hopefully be running benches on the 1060, 1070 and 1080 units when I get back from vacation and then comparing performance to GTX 1050ti, 1060 and 1080.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017

Care to elaborate?

I hope you're enjoying your vacation.

The desktop GTX 1080 has a TDP of 180w, perhaps the MXM version is lower? But looking at the photos in the product images the heatsink that's trying to cool the MXM module is smaller than even something like the Noctua NH-L9, which at best can cool a 95w TDP CPU if the conditions are ideal, but even then the L9 struggles when stressed. So even if the MXM TDP is half that of the desktop version you are still pushing what such a small heatsink is physically capable of.

The Deskmini GTX case looks like it draws air in through the side panel, but its main exhaust fins are pointing forward, there are no vents on the front of the case, therefore a significant proportion of the GPU exhaust heat is going to recirculate in the case making conditions for the tiny heatsink even worse.

I am very surprised by this cooling solution for such a high end GPU, it does not look anywhere near substantial enough.

No, the MXM 1080 is about 20% slower. It's closer to a desktop 1070, maybe slightly faster. According to wikipedia, it has a 150W TDP, which is the same as the desktop 1070.

Cooling capacity in relation to TDP works differently for CPUs and GPUs though. A 120mm AIO can bring a 250W 1080 Ti to 50 C under full load. The same AIO can't keep a 95W CPU at anywhere near 50 C at full load. That's partially because CPUs have a heatspreader, and also I think because GPUs are much more decentralized (thousands of cores), so they're more power efficient and the heat is distributed more uniformly. I think an Li9 would cool an MXM 1080 better than ASRock's cooler, which appears to have a fairly low fin count and no heatpipes I can see (I assume it's vapor chamber?).

It makes no sense that the cooler in the Deskmini should be louder than in laptops, which use the same MXM 1080 and have a lot less space.

This is all just my speculation though.

I wish Noctua made a cooler that's 48-50mm, it would be perfect for this (or for the Dan A4-SFX or other cases that support stock coolers). They have the 37mm Li9 and then they jump up to 65mm for the L9x65 or 70mm for the L12S. I think you could design a Micro-STX case that accommodates 2 L9x65s for the CPU and GPU that's roughly the same size as ASRock's if you don't have 2.5" drive support

Last edited:

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Care to elaborate?

I hope you're enjoying your vacation.

Designing my heatsink to be able to accept a variety on contact plates by simply changing out the contact part. Will hopefully allow me to adapt it for X299/TR if the performance is as good as I am hoping it will be as well as allowing an offset contact plate and bracket for MXM.

It makes no sense that the cooler in the Deskmini should be louder than in laptops, which use the same MXM 1080 and have a lot less space.

Have you actually tested this? The clocks on the 1080 are 95%+ of those on the FE, shouldn't really be that large a difference in performance. Also as far as the cooler goes, it's essentially an Intel stock cooler with less surface area. While I love, love, love the deskmini I am quite disappointed with the cooling solution. I am hoping the KMPKT Curve will allow us to change that. Will hopefully have my first prototype back from the machine shop in late November or early December.

Reactions: thewizzard1

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Designing my heatsink to be able to accept a variety on contact plates by simply changing out the contact part. Will hopefully allow me to adapt it for X299/TR if the performance is as good as I am hoping it will be as well as allowing an offset contact plate and bracket for MXM.

Have you actually tested this? The clocks on the 1080 are 95%+ of those on the FE, shouldn't really be that large a difference in performance. Also as far as the cooler goes, it's essentially an Intel stock cooler with less surface area. While I love, love, love the deskmini I am quite disappointed with the cooling solution. I am hoping the KMPKT Curve will allow us to change that. Will hopefully have my first prototype back from the machine shop in late November or early December.

I haven't tested the noise/temperature levels, it's all based on consumer accounts. And the performance of the 1080 MXM vs desktop is all from benchmarks. I'd be curious to see your testing too.

Do you have a page for your cooler? Sounds really interesting.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Do you have a page for your cooler? Sounds really interesting.

Not yet. I still haven't gotten through all of my IP protection work, so I don't want to publicly disclose my design. Rest assured that once I can publish my information I will do so ASAP. I'm very keen to share.

Geerryh

Chassis Packer
Oct 26, 2017
There is one review for the 1080 variant on Newegg, again saying that the GPU gets too hot (90+C) and fan runs at max RPM and is super loud, louder than laptops with 1080s. I guess ASRock messed up the cooling on the GPU.

I wish there were 3rd party MXM coolers. It would be great if someone made a bracket that adapts LGA 1151 to MXM, then problem solved.

The review is from me LoL. The Asrock guy on Newegg told that I am the only one reported this problem. My replacement unit is sent today. Hope there is improvements.

aaaron

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2017
The review is from me LoL. The Asrock guy on Newegg told that I am the only one reported this problem. My replacement unit is sent today. Hope there is improvements.

Keep us updated because the temps and fan noise sounds unacceptable to me...

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
It's too bad the commercialized version of the Sandia cooler didn't measure up to the theoretical performance. It really seemed like it had potential to be a good low profile solution that could have a place in systems like this.

Reactions: Phuncz

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
It wasn't really anything like the Sandia cooler is the unfortunate truth. It looks like it and took the hype built by the Sandia cooler, but the large outer heatsink and lack of an air bearing probably had a lot to do with it being quite a lemon.

Geerryh

Chassis Packer
Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't really anything like the Sandia cooler is the unfortunate truth. It looks like it and took the hype built by the Sandia cooler, but the large outer heatsink and lack of an air bearing probably had a lot to do with it being quite a lemon.

Just a bit of supporting evidence, the unit I sent back had GPU temp dropped from 88c to 81c when a 140mm fan outside of casing blowing at the GPU. I guess that introduce a positive pressure to the internal.