News ASRock show-off Micro-STX system with MXM & TB3 @CES 2017

Hi All

ASRock are happy to display our new model - Deskmini RX/GTX @CES 2017.
You can get more picture in :https://www.cool3c.com/article/116315/CES-2017-華擎展出具可擴充-MXM-獨立顯示卡的-micro-STX-主機板原型主機

This is prototype of Deskmini RX/GTX
Considering there are so many SFF enthusiasts still need more powerful 3D graphics performance, why don't we extend Mini-STX to larger board: based on 5x5 screw holes but implement MXM, more video outputs, m.2 connectors, even Thunderbolt 3!

And that is world's firsts' MICRO-STX system:
  • Support up to Intel® Core i7 7700K CPU
  • Support Intel box cooler
  • Intel Z270 (B250) Chipset
  • Support MXM Type B, up to 120W
    • RX = AMD RX480/470/460
    • GTX = NVIDIA GTX1060
  • Intel® Thunderbolt 3 with Type-C
  • 3 x M.2 2260/2280 slots
  • 1 x M.2 2230 Wi-Fi slot
  • AURA RGB LED connector!
  • Support Intel® Optane™ Technology
  • 2.x Liter!
  • 19V/220W adapter
ASRock planned sell barebones (include motherboard, MXM card, MXM cooler, chassis and adapter) and open mind corporate with system builder to develop new mini PC in micro STX motherboard. It should be launched on 2017 Q2.

Last edited:

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
It's a real bummer than the Li9 doesn't fit. Is the Zalman cooler even better than the Intel stock cooler? It's meant for ultra-thin cases, but otherwise performance is barely acceptable. So what's the best cooler for the board?

@Josh | NFC ran a test of small coolers a while back, and yes, the Zalman is significantly better than the Intel stock cooler (noise and thermal performance). I'd guess that's probably the best unless you wanted to dremel the corner of the L9i (Josh had some closer results but in my setup w/ a 4790K my CPU ran 12-15C cooler w/ the Noctua when I tested it).

Reactions: Phuncz

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Honestly if you don't mind modding your L9i, the overlap with the DC port is quite minimal. 2 minutes with a pair of tin snips or a set of files and you'll have a perfect fit.

Reactions: Phuncz

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I generally dislike modding as you can never make it look as good as something factory-made. But in this case it may be worth it, the Li9 is just so much better than the stock cooler and the Zalman. Thankfully they'll fix this in the Coffee Lake version of the board.

aaaron

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2017
Has this been confirmed somewhere?

I would like to know this too... and what do you guys think of the 1070 mxm laptop for $1050? Seems much more reasonable than $1600 for 1080 mxm. And I would like to also know if that is confirmed, I would like to try not to mod a fan sink because I don't think It'll come out in one piece lol.

ASRock System

Trash Compacter
Original poster
ASRock
Aug 29, 2016
www.asrock.com
Hi All

Bill is me, the guy on XFastest Product Review video.
And that machine ran with Core i7-7700K and GTX1080 8GB MXM

Okay, let me answer some questions:

Does ASRock DeskMini GTX/RX support Noctua NH-L9i?

YES! We support NH-L9i! But you have to rotate 90 degrees to avoid institutional interference with DC-IN jack.
Please check these pictures I shot in office (sorry for low quality)

Does ASRock DeskMini GTX/RX support Core i7-7700K?

Sure! We support Core i7-7700K! ASRock build complete system with Core i7-7700K + GTX1080 and finish test.
Although Intel B250 chipset doesn't support overclock, but we understand 7700K has higher base frequency.
And how about power consumption?

XFastest - the Taiwanese Hardware Media did a great review.
It shows ASRock DeskMini GTX1080 with Core i7-7700K drain 207 watt under Fire Strike stress test.

Hardware Configuration

Intel Core i7-7700K
ASRock B250 Micro STX MXM
ADATA Premier DDR4 2400 8GB*2
MXM GTX 1060 / 1070 / 1080
Samsung SSD 960 PRO NVMe M.2 500GB
19V, 14.21A, 270W
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Power Consumption result

How about other CPU cooler?

We need your help! Please provide low profile CPU cooler model name in the market, we will buy them and make a list to you.

OH, Thanksgiving and Christmas is coming. How about buy one super compact DeskMini GTX for you? :D

aaaron

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2017
Hi All

Bill is me, the guy on XFastest Product Review video.
And that machine ran with Core i7-7700K and GTX1080 8GB MXM

Okay, let me answer some questions:

YES! We support NH-L9i! But you have to rotate 90 degrees to avoid institutional interference with DC-IN jack.
Please check these pictures I shot in office (sorry for low quality)

Sure! We support Core i7-7700K! ASRock build complete system with Core i7-7700K + GTX1080 and finish test.
Although Intel B250 chipset doesn't support overclock, but we understand 7700K has higher base frequency.
And how about power consumption?

XFastest - the Taiwanese Hardware Media did a great review.
It shows ASRock DeskMini GTX1080 with Core i7-7700K drain 207 watt under Fire Strike stress test.

Power Consumption result

We need your help! Please provide low profile CPU cooler model name in the market, we will buy them and make a list to you.

OH, Thanksgiving and Christmas is coming. How about buy one super compact DeskMini GTX for you? :D

Good work Bill! I’m very tempted but I may have to wait for when you guys release a coffee lake motherboard. Will we eventually be able to buy stx-mxm motherboards and mxm gpus separately in the future?

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
Great to hear for the noctua compatibility. Could you try Zalman cnps2x and Scythe Kozuti?
Also what is the maximum height supoorted for the cpu cooler?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016

@ASRock System I am going to test the Z270M-STX with the following coolers this weekend:

Intel Stock Cooler
Thermolab LP53
Thermolab ITX30
Noctua L9i
Cryorig C7
Arctic Cooling Freezer 11 LP
Zalman CNPS2X
Scythe Kozuti
Silverstone AR05

I might have others, I am just listing this off the top of my head at 5:30 in the morning. I am almost positive that I have every popular 92mm cooler on the market in my collection as well as a number of 80mm coolers. Currently I only have the board and not the case as my Deskmini GTX 1060 is with a friend. As such, I can only remark as to whether the cooler I am using sits taller than the MXM cooer and if so by how much. If I were to know the maximum supported height of cooler inside the case then I could state which coolers are incompatible based on height.

ASRock System

Trash Compacter
Original poster
ASRock
Aug 29, 2016
www.asrock.com
Good work Bill! I’m very tempted but I may have to wait for when you guys release a coffee lake motherboard. Will we eventually be able to buy stx-mxm motherboards and mxm gpus separately in the future?

Hi @aaaron

1. We will announce coffee lake solutions indeed, but I can't tell you precise time.
But not in 2 or 3 months.
2. If you need Coffee Lake platform, you can only choice Z370 chipset, but that is not mainstream.
Z370 cost is much higher than B250. Mainstream Intel chip should be announced on 2018 Q1.
3. I am sure that Coffee Lake 6 core processors will drain more power compare to Kabylake
Therefore we have to improve CPU power, that means cost increase and thermal will become critical.
4. Combine reason 3 and 4, You need pay more in Micro STX board support 8th Intel CPU.

Yes! Our final goal is that we can sell motherboard, MXM GPIU, power brik and chassis separately, just like DIY desktop.
But I think we can't let it happen in very near future. :(

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
@ASRock System

Just so it is clear, I already have all of these coolers and am planning to test them for you on the board I already have. I will take and post photographs in this thread.

Colbyrene

Efficiency Noob
Sep 16, 2017
Hi Bill!

Thanks for your time and all of your responses! Will the i7-7700k be fine in the 1060 model as far as power is concerned? I see in the chart it peeks at 121W and the PSU provided wit the 1060 model is 220W instead of the 270w like the 1080. I 'm curious because now that i know the l9i is compatible I'm about to purchase the 1060 configuration.

Thanks,
Colby

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016

Noctua L9i - Fits in VERY TIGHTLY with fins perpendicular to RAM. Unfortunately has a 3mm interaction with the DC jack if placed with fins parallel to RAM. Quite easily fixed with some tinsnips or a file if you don't mind modding. This is my number two choice for this board.

Zalman CNPS2X - Perfect fit in all orientations. Only concern is that this is a fairly light heatsink from a cooling perspective. Considering the platform is only really meant for 65W, this might not be an issue. Using a 7700K at stock will likely overwhelm this cooler.

Thermolab LP53 / ITX30 - Fits with bent pipes closest to RAM with possible light pressure on IO shield, but nothing major from what I can tell. There is a fin cutaway that pretty much lines up dead on the DC jack without contact. This is pretty much the perfect heatsink for this board as it allows fins to run parallel to RAM while also maximizing heatsink space. Swap out the 28mm stock fan for a 15mm fan (or the Noctua A9x14) and you'll be sitting dead even with the MXM heatsink and fan. Stock screws on the LP53 are short, but curiously those on the ITX30 are fine. Finding longer screws should be pretty easy regardless.

Silverstone AR05 - No fit in any orientation. May be able to get it to fit by grinding away some of the 1151 brackets, but I think that odds are better than not that irreversible damage would result.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 11 LP - No fit in any direction. Mounting system developed by Guantanamo Bay torturers.

Thermaltake Engine 27 - Perfect fit in all orientations. Known to be noisy. I'd personally pick the CNPS2X at this height as a much better all around product.

Scythe Kozuti - Too large a surface area on the fins. No fit in any orientation.

Cryorig C7 - There is one orientation with fins perpendicular to the RAM where a 1-2mm corner filing on the 1151 bracket will give a perfect fit. Very easy and low risk "mod" that won't ruin your heatsink. Like the LP53, sits more or less flush with the MXM heatsink. Given low cost, easy availability and safe mod that won't negatively affect your heatsink, this is my top choice for this board as it cools better than the L9i being about 10mm taller. Also since it's the same height as the MXM cooler, there's no wasted space.

Last edited:

aaaron

Chassis Packer
Oct 10, 2017

Noctua L9i - Fits in VERY TIGHTLY with fins perpendicular to RAM. Unfortunately has a 3mm interaction with the DC jack if placed with fins parallel to RAM. Quite easily fixed with some tinsnips or a file if you don't mind modding. This is my number two choice for this board.

Zalman CNPS2X - Perfect fit in all orientations. Only concern is that this is a fairly light heatsink from a cooling perspective. Considering the platform is only really meant for 65W, this might not be an issue. Using a 7700K at stock will likely overwhelm this cooler.

Thermolab LP53 / ITX30 - Fits with bent pipes closest to RAM with possible light pressure on IO shield, but nothing major from what I can tell. There is a fin cutaway that pretty much lines up dead on the DC jack without contact. This is pretty much the perfect heatsink for this board as it allows fins to run parallel to RAM while also maximizing heatsink space. Swap out the 28mm stock fan for a 15mm fan (or the Noctua A9x14) and you'll be sitting dead even with the MXM heatsink and fan. Stock screws on the LP53 are short, but curiously those on the ITX30 are fine. Finding longer screws should be pretty easy regardless.

Silverstone AR05 - No fit in any orientation. May be able to get it to fit by grinding away some of the 1151 brackets, but I think that odds are better than not that irreversible damage would result.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 11 LP - No fit in any direction. Mounting system developed by Guantanamo Bay torturers.

Thermaltake Engine 27 - Perfect fit in all orientations. Known to be noisy. I'd personally pick the CNPS2X at this height as a much better all around product.

Scythe Kozuti - Too large a surface area on the fins. No fit in any orientation.

Cryorig C7 - There is one orientation with fins perpendicular to the RAM where a 1-2mm corner filing on the 1151 bracket will give a perfect fit. Very easy and low risk "mod" that won't ruin your heatsink. Like the LP53, sits more or less flush with the MXM heatsink. Given low cost, easy availability and safe mod that won't negatively affect your heatsink, this is my top choice for this board as it cools better than the L9i being about 10mm taller. Also since it's the same height as the MXM cooler, there's no wasted space.

This has been very informative! Thank you for taking the time to do that. As I was skimming some threads it seems using LP53 with Noctua A9x14 is better than using the whole Noctua L9i with about ~5-6 degree Celsius difference on mini-itx configs. Is it reasonable to expect the same with this build?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

Well done man, amazing work !

I hope the next ASRock MXM system will have a more centered CPU socket and maybe a singular large heatsink for both CPU and GPU, since I believe both chips should be in the same respective area (roughly). This would allow a shared heatsink cooling capacity (meaning better temp/noise when not 100% CPU + 100% GPU load) and better fans.
It would be possible for a heatpipe-like system like HDPlex and Streacom use, to move the heat to another area. To me it would seem the rear of the motherboard would be an ideal (flat) place although the M.2 slots would be an issue.