News Asetek 645LT for the SFF community!

SFF Forum, thank you for being patient with me!

It's finally time. We are launching the successor of the 545LC.
It will be called the 645LT and will be shipping via Overclockers UK and SFF Labs.

Overclockers UK should have stock, as I have been informed, by early April with SFF Labs following later.

UPDATED POINTS OF PURCHASE:

• OverclockersUK
  • Caseking.de
  • Sliger Cases
  • w360mod
An updated list should also be available here, at most times: https://www.asetek.com/gamingenthus...gdiy/cpu-cooling/small-form-factor-cpu-cooler

We have been working with Daniel from DAN Case on which changes to implement. At the same time we've tried to implement as many of his requests as we could. And I'd say we've done a pretty good job.

What changes is the 645LT bringing then?
  • Asetek Generation 6 pump
  • Noise reduction foam in the pump cap
  • 90 degree angled bends on the hex
  • Slightly longer tubes to ease installation
we've kept the original non-sleeved tubing due to requests from the community.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact me here, PM, email or Twitter.

I look forward to chatting with all of you!

Much love,

Asetek Dennis

Last edited:

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
Hey @AseDen . So you recommend connecting to CPU_FAN instead of CPU__OPT/W_PUMP?

Right now on my ASRock Z390-itx/ac, I have the rad fan connected to the CPU_FAN header and the pump connected to the CPU_OPT/W_PUMP header. If I choose W_PUMP in BIOS, I have some extra settings to set AUTO/ DC Power/ PWM and then FULL SPEED/ SILENT/PERFORMANCE, etc.

But when I boot into BIOS, it shows it at ~5600 RPM for CPU_OPT/W_PUMP. In Phantom Gaming SW in Win10, I can control that value based on the fan curve. So if I go 100% at all temps that means it should be sending a full +12VDC to the pump, right? If so then my value of 5600 is just doubled as others have mentioned previously.

What is your recommended setup for pump and rad fan connectors (to which headers) and for fan curves? 100%? I can certainly go test different conditions, but if you already have some data, I'd gladly follow the experts!!! ?
  • Pump connection -> xxx header
  • Radiator fan connection -> xxx header
  • Pump fan curve -> 100%?
  • Radiator fan curve -> ???

Hi @omardesu,

The "pump" ports on motherboards are notoriously bad at reporting correct pump speeds.
You might ask yourself why (and so have I) - so I went and educated myself with our engineering/R&D department. Turns out that different pumps use different "propulsion" systems. Meaning they can have different phases. This is also, coincidentally the data that a motherboard uses to determine what speed a pump is running, and because it cannot tell how many phases a pump is using, it'll use a standard setting... Leading to inaccurate reports.

Now when I suggest you connect to the CPU_FAN port, it is because AIO_PUMP and similar ports often use DC to regulate the pump. This can lead to pump stops (and thus failure) because it won't be running the correct speeds. Using the CPU_FAN port should lead to the safest operation and is what we generally recommend. This is due to MB's usually not allowing the CPU fan to halt (for obvious reasons), which also will aid in avoiding overheating the liquid and causing damage to your system as a result.

5600 is indeed a doubled value, in your case. As the 645LT uses our pump version that runs 2800RPM.

I'd recommend something like this:
  1. Pump -> CPU_FAN
  2. Radfan -> Whatever you're comfortable with
  3. Pump Curve -> Ideal performance will obviously be at 100%. This can be slightly reduced if you're willing to compromise a little about thermals, but feel there's a decent tradeoff with gained acoustics.
  4. Rad fan curve -> tough one, again. It all depends on what your acoustic and thermal targets are. Personally I'd probably run it at 50-75% at idle scaling from there to 100%. But again, it's very tricky to recommend on, as it will vary on a case by case basis, and with components used, airflow, modded cables and so on ;)
I hope this helps :)

You're always welcome to contact me :)

/AsetekDennis

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
Hi @omardesu,

The "pump" ports on motherboards are notoriously bad at reporting correct pump speeds.
You might ask yourself why (and so have I) - so I went and educated myself with our engineering/R&D department. Turns out that different pumps use different "propulsion" systems. Meaning they can have different phases. This is also, coincidentally the data that a motherboard uses to determine what speed a pump is running, and because it cannot tell how many phases a pump is using, it'll use a standard setting... Leading to inaccurate reports.

Now when I suggest you connect to the CPU_FAN port, it is because AIO_PUMP and similar ports often use DC to regulate the pump. This can lead to pump stops (and thus failure) because it won't be running the correct speeds. Using the CPU_FAN port should lead to the safest operation and is what we generally recommend. This is due to MB's usually not allowing the CPU fan to halt (for obvious reasons), which also will aid in avoiding overheating the liquid and causing damage to your system as a result.

5600 is indeed a doubled value, in your case. As the 645LT uses our pump version that runs 2800RPM.

I'd recommend something like this:
  1. Pump -> CPU_FAN
  2. Radfan -> Whatever you're comfortable with
  3. Pump Curve -> Ideal performance will obviously be at 100%. This can be slightly reduced if you're willing to compromise a little about thermals, but feel there's a decent tradeoff with gained acoustics.
  4. Rad fan curve -> tough one, again. It all depends on what your acoustic and thermal targets are. Personally I'd probably run it at 50-75% at idle scaling from there to 100%. But again, it's very tricky to recommend on, as it will vary on a case by case basis, and with components used, airflow, modded cables and so on ;)
I hope this helps :)

You're always welcome to contact me :)

/AsetekDennis

Thanks so much for the info @AseDen !!! This is exactly the guidance I needed! I'll play around with it tomorrow and post back what I settle on. Noise is not a big issue for me as there is an in wall AC unit in the room which pretty much runs all day...

One last question in regards to running the pump 100% all the time. Aside from acoustics, would that shorten the lifetime of the unit?

Thanks again!

Reactions: AseDen

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
Thanks so much for the info @AseDen !!! This is exactly the guidance I needed! I'll play around with it tomorrow and post back what I settle on. Noise is not a big issue for me as there is an in wall AC unit in the room which pretty much runs all day...

One last question in regards to running the pump 100% all the time. Aside from acoustics, would that shorten the lifetime of the unit?

Thanks again!

You're most welcome. I love helping whereever I can :)

The pumps are designed to run at 100% speed. That is how they are tested for longevity and also intended from a thermal design stand point :)

Reactions: omardesu

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
@AseDen

Got around to redoing the connections for the pump/fan and taking some pics of my setup as of today. I do feel a bit gross with the cabling the way it is, but I still haven't found any good wires in Taiwan to do the custom cabling again. So run with the original SF600 cables I shall...

But moving along, here's what I setup the fan curves to for today. I do run on the warm side just due to the ambient temp in the room, but I'll continue to monitor this setup for now.

One thing I did notice is that the motherboard area is also on the warm side. I'm guessing that there's a lack of airflow now with the 645LT in. The fan under the mobo is pushing air down and out of the case, but I'm thinking it could be more useful if it were blowing up so air can reach the mobo. Do you have any experience with this?

Anyways, if you have any other suggestions or tips, please let me know. Thanks again!

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
@omardesu

Given what I see on your pictures your bottom fan (below MB) is actually configured to push air up, and through, the case. Which is also the orientation I would suggest you put it in.

Now there's no doubt that, while you did a pretty good job with stock cables, you're definitely being airflow limited by the cables. Especially the stack in the bottom front, will hamper airflow over the motherboard (causing the MB temps to be higher).

Otherwise I think it looks pretty good!

If you want to dabble with lower temps on your CPU, you could potentially start playing around with voltages, to see how low you can go, while maintaining a stability :)

Best,
Dennis

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
@AseDen Thanks Dennis! I'll be updating my cables maybe in January as I put an order for 16 and 18 AWG FEP wire and connectors from moddiy.com. Just waiting on that shipment before I can get to the crimping!!!

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
@AseDen Thanks Dennis! I'll be updating my cables maybe in January as I put an order for 16 and 18 AWG FEP wire and connectors from moddiy.com. Just waiting on that shipment before I can get to the crimping!!!

That sounds awesome Omardesu!

If you want some additional tips and tricks I can recommend u/LoserCard on reddit. He has some pretty nifty mods that he's made. Which actually allow the 645LT to be used with a 25mm fan, keeping the 9900K well under control! :-D

Check this build, made using some of LoserCard's stuff:

Reactions: omardesu

Scottland

Chassis Packer
Dec 14, 2019
Hi, this seems like the best place to ask this.

What fan speeds would typically be needed at idle? i.e. would 600rpm or less be ok for a r5 3600 at idle/web browsing?

Also, how does the pump noise compare to a D5 pump at similar rpm?

huh.sure

Caliper Novice
Dec 5, 2019
Hi, this seems like the best place to ask this.

What fan speeds would typically be needed at idle? i.e. would 600rpm or less be ok for a r5 3600 at idle/web browsing?

Also, how does the pump noise compare to a D5 pump at similar rpm?

May I ask why a 3600 and a water cooling loop? Isn't that a little overkill? Whatever it is, i think the mobo would auto set speed at idle, and the sound isn't that noticeable. I am a custom loop noob, unlike SFF so take this with a bit of salt.

Scottland

Chassis Packer
Dec 14, 2019
May I ask why a 3600 and a water cooling loop? Isn't that a little overkill? Whatever it is, i think the mobo would auto set speed at idle, and the sound isn't that noticeable. I am a custom loop noob, unlike SFF so take this with a bit of salt.

The case I'm using has a limited height for a CPU cooler, and I want it as quiet as possible. The 645LT has more cooling capacity, so should be able to cool it more -meaning I can have the fans spinning lower. But, I'm curious how noisey it is when it's just ticking over. I know I can get an air cooler to be inaudible at idle - so how does this compare :)

omardesu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 14, 2019
That sounds awesome Omardesu!

If you want some additional tips and tricks I can recommend u/LoserCard on reddit. He has some pretty nifty mods that he's made. Which actually allow the 645LT to be used with a 25mm fan, keeping the 9900K well under control! :-D

Check this build, made using some of LoserCard's stuff:

Wow... I started looking into this more and now fully understand it! This is killer upgrade for sure!!! I was going to start my custom wiring this week, but I may have to hold off on that til I here back from Losercard or decide to print out some pieces.

Reactions: AseDen

huh.sure

Caliper Novice
Dec 5, 2019
The case I'm using has a limited height for a CPU cooler, and I want it as quiet as possible. The 645LT has more cooling capacity, so should be able to cool it more -meaning I can have the fans spinning lower. But, I'm curious how noisey it is when it's just ticking over. I know I can get an air cooler to be inaudible at idle - so how does this compare :)

If you don't mind, could you tell me the case? No pressure just curious.

Scottland

Chassis Packer
Dec 14, 2019
SM560 - has about 55-60mm clearance and I'm not comfortable any of the options will be good enough (for me). I've ordered the 645LT, so I'll see how I go...

huh.sure

Caliper Novice
Dec 5, 2019
SM560 - has about 55-60mm clearance and I'm not comfortable any of the options will be good enough (for me). I've ordered the 645LT, so I'll see how I go...

Well, once you get it tell me the pref and noise, I personally think a l9I would've been better.