An expensive venture!

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Hear me out...

A water cooled Intel Skull Canyon NUC...

92mm Radiator...

Obviously some planning and a lot of custom work would be required, but it should be possible...right?

Yes I'm aware that it's a waste of money and most likely a complete waste of time, but I'd be doing it for the joy of tinkering and nothing else, So keep your nasty criticisms to yourself, Happy Reacts only!

Reactions: Soul_Est

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
You are talking about watercooling this multi chip module, right?

Main problem will be to find how to attach the waterblock I think.
Next finding a block that covers the 2 chips while not interfering with the surrounding elements.

Will the BIOS let you overclock the Core i7-6770HQ CPU?

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
When there's a will there's way!

I guess you've seen my water cooled NUC already?

I thinki cooling the Skull Canyon will be easier than mine, if you re-use the original copper plate with the heat pipes, you can just water cool the ends of the heat pipes.

You can also ask this guy to make you a water block. Or if you have the ability then do it yourself. It seems to be the same mounting.

Or this guy can do it too.

If you can double check the measurements, you can probably use this Alphacool universal block. This one is what I was originally going to use.

I'm very interested to hear what ideas you currently have right now!

It's not a waste of money or time if you enjoy the process! (Or so I keep telling myself)

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
You are talking about watercooling this multi chip module, right?

Main problem will be to find how to attach the waterblock I think.
Next finding a block that covers the 2 chips while not interfering with the surrounding elements.

Will the BIOS let you overclock the Core i7-6770HQ CPU?

I've seen some custom blocks that utilize those three mounting studs shown in that photo! And I'm unsure as to whether or not you can OC the chip.
When there's a will there's way!

I guess you've seen my water cooled NUC already?

I thinki cooling the Skull Canyon will be easier than mine, if you re-use the original copper plate with the heat pipes, you can just water cool the ends of the heat pipes.

You can also ask this guy to make you a water block. Or if you have the ability then do it yourself. It seems to be the same mounting.

Or this guy can do it too.

If you can double check the measurements, you can probably use this Alphacool universal block. This one is what I was originally going to use.

I'm very interested to hear what ideas you currently have right now!

It's not a waste of money or time if you enjoy the process! (Or so I keep telling myself)

I have seen yours and love the concept! However I want smaller, Custom block and a custom loop, I'm not interested in giving the Frankenstein treatment to an AIO :p

Thank you so much for your links, They will prove most beneficial in my research!

My thoughts were to have a custom block, Hard line tubing and a 92 x 2 Rad with a custom loop. Seems a little bizarre but I think it's doable.

Last edited:

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
OC the chip

I am making a Skull canyon build. You can only over clock memory. With the additional cooling capacity though you can disable the step down.

One point I have read about is power sharing. When maxing out on benchmarks the current demanded by both the cpu and gpu starts to throttle the two components against each other. I'm not sure if you are able to disable cores? My main use will be to run GC/wii emulator Dolphin which is only optimised for dual-core. Is disabling cores a thing? Maybe that will free the current needed for the gpu.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
I am making a Skull canyon build. You can only over clock memory. With the additional cooling capacity though you can disable the step down.

One point I have read about is power sharing. When maxing out on benchmarks the current demanded by both the cpu and gpu starts to throttle the two components against each other. I'm not sure if you are able to disable cores? My main use will be to run GC/wii emulator Dolphin which is only optimised for dual-core. Is disabling cores a thing? Maybe that will free the current needed for the gpu.

My interpretation is that there must be some form of power limit imposed if they throttle to a degree to share power with one and another. That's actually really disappointing that removing the potential thermal limit doesn't open up more potential to the unit. That's really a disheartening realisation :(

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
So after a lot of research, It seems that Watercooling a Nuc is a fairly redundant concept. But I have taken a look at Mini-Stx boards as well as the board that has grown on me most...

The Alienware Alpha!

I'm continuing my search into these all in one style of board to see what will be best, but in regards to GPU power over intel hd graphics, this looks pretty good and there are a couple in my area up for sale for fairly cheap!

Thoughts?

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Not sure if you've seen this build log yet, but it's absolutely amazing:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2015/november/meet-the-modders-laine

I read it the other day, Really brilliant stuff. Gives me hope to see someone manage to tackle the concept with such success!

I'm still undecided on what to pull apart. I've had some money come in and I'm debating whether to go for the Skull Canyon NUC or am Alienware Alpha I found online. It has a 960 in it, So I'm a little more swayed to try that. Although if Asrock released their MIcro STX boards, I'd be all over them :/

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Personally I'd go with the NuC and hook up a 1080 via one of the two M.2 ports using an adapter. That's just me though

Reactions: NRG

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
I'd probably just use the Thunderbolt 3 port for a GPU if one is ever needed. Well I'm most likely going to buy the Skull Canyon NUC in the coming weeks, Saved enough for one, So I may as well just give it a crack hahah :)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Might be worth waiting to see if another Skull Canyon-esque NuC gets announced at Computex. The 6770HQ is about to be two generations old.

Reactions: NRG and cmyk78

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
I've found a lead on a Skull Canyon NUC, I'm expecting to know tonight if it's mine as I'll be getting it for a bargain. Hopefully it works out and the madness shall begin hahahah

Edit: I got one...

Last edited:

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
Looking forward to seeing what you have planned. My own Skullcanyon mod will be much simplified due to family stuff..

Reactions: NRG

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Oct 30, 2015
Looking forward to seeing what you have planned. My own Skullcanyon mod will be much simplified due to family stuff..

I'll probably keep it stock for a month or so as I'm moving out of my current place, but I'll be back in full swing once I'm settled in.

I managed to get the NUC, 16gb Ram and 256gb SSD for cheaper than a new one! Such a bargain :D

Reactions: Biowarejak