Prebuilt Cabin Fever, and everything OoS: Window Shopping NUCs?

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
Original poster
May 18, 2020
Since there's no stock of...well anything. And probably won't be for a long while. Anyone else window shopping at NUCs? Yea, laptop hardware--but you can actually buy it. And get smaller too.

I was thinking of my 3600 Ryzen as an interim to flip when I got it last spring.....now it looks like I'll be unable to buy any other socketable AM4 CPU off retail shelves probably until DDR5 and AM5 leak. Same for GPUs. Which, Nvidia and AIBs just did a price bump to be even more expensive--3060Ti now being $500+USD??!

What do you all think? The NUC11 is kind of a meh....maybe NUC12? Supposedly Ghost Canyon is getting a refresh--so that project isn't dead, although leaks say it'll be bigger still--probably in part because Ampere cards won't fit in Ghost Canyon. LOL

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Personally I would just save the money for the next generation vaporware. Or wait until the pandemic is under control in your region and watch all of that excess tech end up on the second hand market. The same for crypto mining, they'll flood the market when they need to sell and end up flipping the supply/demand graph when suddenly there are thousands of cards for sale at the same time.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
Original poster
May 18, 2020
Personally I would just save the money for the next generation vaporware. Or wait until the pandemic is under control in your region and watch all of that excess tech end up on the second hand market. The same for crypto mining, they'll flood the market when they need to sell and end up flipping the supply/demand graph when suddenly there are thousands of cards for sale at the same time.

Personally....I trust a card used for mining about as well as I trust a clutch that a teenager drove. Complete crapshoot whether it works like it should for a week or a month or years.

With even a 3060Ti being $500+ USD, and CPUs barely hitting $400USD even now, and all ITX boards being $200....Even the 'expensive' NUCs are just about comparable in price now. All while being actually available to buy, and not needing to win a lottery ticket to get in queue to wait in line.

Just plain burned out on this nonsense--with only retailers offering any transparency about how little supply there is.....because they too are sick of it, and are as made at AMD/Nvidia and us customers as us customers. While AIBs and OEMs have been insistent that 'a few months' will somehow remedy it.....and 6 months later, it is 6 months later.

Reactions: Phuncz

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I understand your frustration. There have been a few people on reddit asking for thoughts on pre built. I usually tell people to avoid them as you can build a better system for less money. With the current state of non availability I am now telling people that this might be your best option for actually getting the new parts that you want. And if you end up paying scalper prices it might not be any more expensive.

Reactions: Phuncz