Rumor Hades Canyon: upcoming NUC with dGPU support?!

Via CNX.

With support for what appears to be a full power -K CPU, Optane, Thunderbolt, and a dGPU.
Maybe Intel took note of what certain individuals have done with Skull Canyon and 5x5/STX boards and GPUs.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Let's just hope miners don't put two and two together and snatch these up. At $799 and up for such a compact system, I could see a strong appeal. It would literally be the world's easiest stackable and portable mining solution.

No. Miners aren't going to waste money on a CPU they can't mine with. They can spend the same amount on a VEGA 56 and get twice the income. You also don't have to double up on RAM, storage, psu, motherboard, etc for every chip.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
With the 1060 like performance of the Vega+Intel solution there is probably less reason for this, but does anyone know if it's feasible to attach the Hades Canyon Nuc to an EXP GDC beast in order to use an external GPU? Example NUC + Beast video.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review

Petano

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2017
The 88-degree peak or max stock/default temperature there I find somewhat concerning.

In hotter climates and under heavy compute tasks, this will very likely throttle.

I wonder about numbers different way. In Metro temp difference between cpu and gpu is roughly 40 degrees. (Vega OCed core had 57 degrees max compare to 94 deg. max on CPU under same cooler)
There is something wrong with pre-prod unit cooling with this difference. Maybe bad thermal paste. Hopefully it is not like different height of each die on package.

reiserFS

Chassis Packer
Dec 15, 2017
I wonder about numbers different way. In Metro temp difference between cpu and gpu is roughly 40 degrees. (Vega OCed core had 57 degrees max compare to 94 deg. max on CPU under same cooler)
There is something wrong with pre-prod unit cooling with this difference. Maybe bad thermal paste. Hopefully it is not like different height of each die on package.
I noticed that they pulled apart the entire thing before actually running benchmarks, so your theory backs this up. You can see this in the original korean review.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Looks like the new non-hades canyon NUCs are listed on Intel's site, and they have dropped the Thunderbolt 3 port. WHY?!

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Without proper VP9 Profile 2 support (which funnily enough, AMD actually managed to slip into Raven Ridge’s revision of Vega which has VCN, or Video Core Next), I wonder how many HTPC users will end up purchasing Hades Canyon? There is no denying that Hades Canyon has a huge advantage in gaming as well as portability, but pricing and decoding support is a tad underwhelming. I personally think Raven Ridge’s VCN is a huge improvement in video decoding quality over 1st gen discrete Vega’s UVD, though that was not too shabby, either, especially as it was considered by many to be the best quality hardware decoding in the industry. Anyone here going to use the Hades Canyon as their HTPC?