Motherboard AM4 Thin ITX motherboards, They do exist!

McSpain

Trash Compacter
Jun 8, 2018
So all the hype aside:
The interface for mounting a cooler onto the A320TM-ITX looks like the standard Intel design. Can anyone confirm?
Also I'm kinda puzzled by some of their design choices (only 1x SATA, 90° HDMI, no 12V support, no DP) to be be too excited about this. I surely hope, though, that this won't be the last AM4 thin mITX from ASRock. In the meanwhile, the A300STX remains a strong competitor and still looks like the better choice to me.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
So all the hype aside:
The interface for mounting a cooler onto the A320TM-ITX looks like the standard Intel design. Can anyone confirm?
Also I'm kinda puzzled by some of their design choices (only 1x SATA, 90° HDMI, no 12V support, no DP) to be be too excited about this. I surely hope, though, that this won't be the last AM4 thin mITX from ASRock. In the meanwhile, the A300STX remains a strong competitor and still looks like the better choice to me.

The single SATA port is because they expect you to only connect 1 drive and then power it using the on-board SATA power connector (4-pin connector in between the SATA data port and the SODIMM slots). It probably only outputs enough power to run 1 drive using on-board voltage circuitry, hence the restriction to a single SATA port.

The 19V 4-pin connector on board is very funky, I've never seen that (seen plenty of 4-pin 12v), but you can always use a 19v external brick which lets you build a smaller, cheaper system anyway. The advantage of this board over the STX is it can fit in Thin ITX or Mini ITX cases which do exist, whereas STX has basically one mass-produced one from Silverstone which this site just reviewed.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
A

Thin-ITX is a Intel form factor standard. I've never seen a thin-ITX mobo without intel mounting patern so i'm inclined to think it is like it has always been.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
The intresting thing will be the Asrock board with the new NAVI APU, a HDplex 200W internal brick in a small < 3L case ;)

Would be even cooler (pun intended) if the new NAVI APUs can also be delidded without desoldering the IHS, like the current 2000 series.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
would be even cooler (pun intended) if the new NAVI APUs can also be delidded without desoldering the IHS, like the current 2000 series.
Why would you want to delid if it is soldered? Running bare die? Re-lidding a soldered ryzen isn't worthwhile, and I can't see how it isn't better than a pasted ryzen

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Current Ryzen APUs can easly be delidded and applied with liqued metal to make the performance better. I also got custom IHSes for Ryzens APUs from RockitCool which save an additional 5 degrees celsius.

So LM + Custom IHS would be better then bare soldered. But if it is soldered, delidding is to much of a hassle.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Word of the street is, ryzen cpus are soldered while the apus are TIMmed.
Currently yes, but who knows about the future products they're talking about here?
Current Ryzen APUs can easly be delidded and applied with liqued metal to make the performance better. I also got custom IHSes for Ryzens APUs from RockitCool which save an additional 5 degrees celsius.

So LM + Custom IHS would be better then bare soldered. But if it is soldered, delidding is to much of a hassle.
It's just too bad we won't see Navi APUs until 2020...

Reactions: cleveland

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
sounds like a good thing for the vast majority of us! Better than paste, LM is only marginally better for more work, risk, and cost.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
OKe guys so some stuff came in today :)

But not only the 2400GE via ebay came in, also the mobo from toabao :)

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Ordered some additional stuff to get this board up and running:

- 16GB set of Hyper X SODIMM 3200MHz
- Intel 8265 m.2 Wifi card
- Samsung 970 evo 250 GB M.2 NVMe SSD

Only have to wait till the new 200W PSU from HDplex is available since this board has the option for it :)

Reactions: thekanester

Iamzero456

What's an ITX?
May 8, 2019
Ordered some additional stuff to get this board up and running:

- 16GB set of Hyper X SODIMM 3200MHz
- Intel 8265 m.2 Wifi card
- Samsung 970 evo 250 GB M.2 NVMe SSD

Only have to wait till the new 200W PSU from HDplex is available since this board has the option for it :)

Are you able to test if this computer has the ability to output 4k60fps via hdmi? Even if the specs says Hdmi 1.4?

I'm asking becaus of this quote from https://www.anandtech.com/show/14259/he-asrock-a320tm-itx-motherboard-thin-itx-for-amd-apus
Wait for customer reviews on this- most AMD boards give out HDMI 2.0 signal just fine, as long as APU is giving it- even if that is not specified.

Thanks!

Update google search:

According to this quote in this reddit post Sorry for the long update, it supports 4K HDR @ 60Hz. So yes, it supports HDMI 2.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortis Angelus

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Are you able to test if this computer has the ability to output 4k60fps via hdmi? Even if the specs says Hdmi 1.4?

I'm asking becaus of this quote from https://www.anandtech.com/show/14259/he-asrock-a320tm-itx-motherboard-thin-itx-for-amd-apus
Wait for customer reviews on this- most AMD boards give out HDMI 2.0 signal just fine, as long as APU is giving it- even if that is not specified.

Thanks!

Update google search:

According to this quote in this reddit post Sorry for the long update, it supports 4K HDR @ 60Hz. So yes, it supports HDMI 2.0.

I don't have a 4K monitor, so I can't test it correctly. Besides that i'm also waiting on all the other parts to get that new mobo up and running :)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
@BryceK, looks pretty good to me! Have you been able to use the board in your new system? Any reason why you went for this particular A320 board over the Onda B320 in the first page? I'm also curious how the onboard audio sounds. Probably not as good as a B350 or X470 from a more mainstream brand but I would prefer to avoid using USB ports for sound as they are not as plentiful for these boards.

I have a 2200G just sitting here and would like to make a case specifically for these thin boards. Something of a similar design language to my other case for a discrete GPU.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
@BryceK, looks pretty good to me! Have you been able to use the board in your new system? Any reason why you went for this particular A320 board over the Onda B320 in the first page? I'm also curious how the onboard audio sounds. Probably not as good as a B350 or X470 from a more mainstream brand but I would prefer to avoid using USB ports for sound as they are not as plentiful for these boards.

I have a 2200G just sitting here and would like to make a case specifically for these thin boards. Something of a similar design language to my other case for a discrete GPU.

I got both boards, and tested the Onda B320 already.

Just got the A320 assambled, will test this one soon as possible :)

Reactions: CC Ricers