A2000 15mm Ultrathin Full-Copper Heatsink(in progress) - Another RTX A2000 SpongeBob Copperpants Mod

htalker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
Hey, guys.
Based on REVOCCASES's work RTX A2000 Full Copper Low Profile Single Slot Edition - aka A2000 SpongeBob Copperpants Mod, I try to make some minor modifications to fit my Pocket eGPU.

The goal is 15mm Ultrathin, as thin as VASTARMOR RADEON RX6400 single slot LP.
YES, I know it would be very rocky, and it is very likely to fail, or even continue to fail, but I am willing to record the whole design-manufacturing-testing process through this post.
I want to share with you and listen to your suggestions.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
nice work on the CNC parts!

It looks like you are using a similar density copper foam as I already tried on one of my prototypes - unfortunately that didn't work very well...

Bild_2022-06-20_205809971.png

so maybe before soldering your cooler together and potentially messing up the nice copper plate I would try using some copper fins or copper foam with lower density instead...

Bild_2022-06-20_205918236.png

htalker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
nice work on the CNC parts!

It looks like you are using a similar density copper foam as I already tried on one of my prototypes - unfortunately that didn't work very well...

View attachment 1884

so maybe before soldering your cooler together and potentially messing up the nice copper plate I would try using some copper fins or copper foam with lower density instead...

View attachment 1885
Yes. I use the same foam supplier as you.
Thank you for your advice. I have carefully read all your previous posts, learned a lot of experience and saved a lot of time.
So I made a small change. Did you see that I didn't leave a place for the 5010 fan? And the wire hole I reserved?😉

Considering that the axial fan can not blow through the foam, I reverse the wind path, like a Kitchen Air Exhauster .
The fan is installed on the outside of the heatsink (yes, I cheated on thickness).

From the preliminary test, the exhaust design avoids the wind resistance of the foam and greatly improves the wind speed flowing through the sponge. And the noise is less than the blowing design.

The first power on test is expected to start tomorrow, hope I can get some useful data and experience from it.

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 9, 2016
vk.com
O! Copper foam - also played with this material. But it is very difficult to get him to progress in cooling.
If you look closely, the copper jumpers themselves have a rough (porous) structure, which gives
- decrease in heat exchange efficiency
- high degree of absorption (which will be important when soldering - it will be very difficult to wash the flux)
- it will be an excellent air filter, but it will become clogged with dust)

htalker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
O! Copper foam - also played with this material. But it is very difficult to get him to progress in cooling.
If you look closely, the copper jumpers themselves have a rough (porous) structure, which gives
- decrease in heat exchange efficiency
- high degree of absorption (which will be important when soldering - it will be very difficult to wash the flux)
- it will be an excellent air filter, but it will become clogged with dust)
Thanks for reminding me.
I also have these doubts, so I decided to check the cooling effect by myself and then make the next step of improvement.
I'm not afraid to waste time. It's fun.

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 9, 2016
vk.com
Thanks for reminding me.
I also have these doubts, so I decided to check the cooling effect by myself and then make the next step of improvement.
I'm not afraid to waste time. It's fun.
As an option to improve heat transfer, completely soak the foam in a bath of molten tin or lead solder to close the micropores of the jumpers.

Reactions: htalker

htalker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
thank you. got it.
You described it in great detail.
As an option to improve heat transfer, completely soak the foam in a bath of molten tin or lead solder to close the micropores of the jumpers.
Got it.
You described it in great detail.

htalker

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2022
That doesn't work, I've tried it already.

Just use a good amount of low temp solder paste to attach it to the copper cold plate, place it in a oven for a couple of minutes and it'll work just fine.

This is the high temp solder paste I plan to use.
I will carefully and thickly coat the copper plate with solder paste.

This is a reflow welder modified from an oven.