Log ThinkStation P350 Tiny - 1L Pocket Rocket Lake with RTX A2000

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
This is insane, I've always appreciated your works getting smaller and smaller. Really liked the idea and just checked the prices on eBay desperately. btw, what happened to your website?

Reactions: REVOCCASES

Trov

Case Bender
New User
Apr 19, 2022
The most recent Dell Optiplex 7080 Micro has a PCI slot option now, except it orients the GPU facing down. This might give you about half a slot height of extra space for heatsink/fans...

Reactions: sos and SFFMunkee

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
re the existing fan, it's not a standard sized fan header connector, from googling it appears to be a "laptop molex connector". Does that seem right to you? Do you know what part number that connector is pls?

I need to measure it when I take the build apart for the fan voltage mod...

Here is a picture I took last time:

View attachment 1732
It looks like a JST connector of some description, I think GPU fans use JST PH (2.0mm pitch) connectors, which looks about right.

::EDIT:: Actually on second glance, it looks like a surface mount connector, which means it might be a JST SH (1mm pitch), but they're only rated to 1A @ 50V according to the JST connector wiki.

I'm suggesting they're probably a 4-pin PH as they're rated for up to 3A @ 100V and have 2.0mm pitch, with through-hole connectors. Given the P350's fan is rated at 1.5A that would lead me to assume they wouldn't be using a 1A-rated connector :)

Last edited:

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
The most recent Dell Optiplex 7080 Micro has a PCI slot option now, except it orients the GPU facing down. This might give you about half a slot height of extra space for heatsink/fans...

Not quite, the motherboard actually extends there, so your GPU fan will be jammed between the motherboard PCB and GPU PCB.

mikejmcfarlane

Average Stuffer
Apr 19, 2022
It looks like a JST connector of some description, I think GPU fans use JST PH (2.0mm pitch) connectors, which looks about right.

::EDIT:: Actually on second glance, it looks like a surface mount connector, which means it might be a JST SH (1mm pitch), but they're only rated to 1A @ 50V according to the JST connector wiki.

I'm suggesting they're probably a 4-pin PH as they're rated for up to 3A @ 100V and have 2.0mm pitch, with through-hole connectors. Given the P350's fan is rated at 1.5A that would lead me to assume they wouldn't be using a 1A-rated connector :)
thnx will measure it up when my P350 arrives on Monday

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
The most recent Dell Optiplex 7080 Micro has a PCI slot option now,

Only if you order one with dGPU or other PCIe add-on card. Else the connector is not soldered to the motherboard. Some people who tried getting a 1650 to work with it also said the slot is limited to 55W only. But not sure...

I've always appreciated your works getting smaller and smaller. Really liked the idea and just checked the prices on eBay desperately. btw, what happened to your website?

Thanks! Website should be fixed now, some update gone wrong XD

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Have you thought about making a custom case for this particular build so it can also fit a dedicated PSU? A brick-less build like with your SMALL3 case but even smaller and using a 12V instead of FlexATX PSU. I'm sure you can still keep the entire build under 1.5L.

Reactions: SFFMunkee

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Have you thought about making a custom case for this particular build so it can also fit a dedicated PSU? A brick-less build like with your SMALL3 case but even smaller and using a 12V instead of FlexATX PSU. I'm sure you can still keep the entire build under 1.5L.

I thought about it. But more as a backup plan. If my A2000 single slot mod hadn't worked out there would have been unused space on top of the CPU cooler for a slim internal PSU.

Overall the brick solution is fine for me - having the original large brick at home under the desk and the small SAVAGO GaN adapter in my backpack for the road.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
the 5A 12V to 5V step-down module came in today and I tested it with my 20W DYNATRON cooler... on my "test bench" it seems to work pretty well to get RPM (and noise) down... now I just hope LENOVO did not implement some kind of "fan failure checking" in the firmware XD

IMG_20220424_1255477.jpg

IMG_20220424_1301356.jpg

RPM without the buck:

IMG_20220424_1305033.jpg

reduced RPM with the buck:

IMG_20220424_1305309.jpg

also ordered some small thermal switches to see if I can DIY a 0-RPM fan mode for my A2000

IMG_20220424_1313449.jpg

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
it's been a while but I finally found some time to proceed with my "low noise" mods... oh, and I painted my single slot mod heatsink!

mod1: as mentioned before, I found the LENOVO stock CPU fan curves very annoying and the only way to get CPU fan speed down seems to be the hard(ware)-way

with the voltage step down module and some heatsink mods, the P350 Tiny is now finally dead silent in idle and even under load it's totally acceptable. Interestingly, temps are about the same as before - probably because I added some copper fins, heatpipes, etc to the original cooler - seems that makes up for the lower fan speed.

mod2: there is no way to get the fan speed on the A2000 below 3000RPM which is IMHO unnecessary, especially in idle... so I came up with the idea to make my own 0-RPM mode for it, using a small thermal switch glued to the aluminum heatsink. this switch will simply cut the power to the fan if the heatsink temperature is below a certain threshold.

for my mod I used a thermal switch with a rated "switching temperature" of 55K but this does not mean it will actually switch on/off at this precise temp. It's more of a temperature range with an "on" point at about 59C and "off" at about 46C. another issue with this solution is the fact that the heatsink temperature will not raise or drop as fast as the actual GPU temp. anyways, it works and I'm quite happy with the result. my A2000 idles now at about ~58C without fan(noise) and once the GPU reaches ~79C, the fan kicks in to keep it cool under load.

mod3: painting the heatsink with black, high temp "exhaust pipe" paint

of course this looks nice but more importantly, it dropped average temps on my A2000 by about 2~3C - not much but in such a small build every improvement counts.

sooo, I think I'm happy with the build (for now) - hope you found this interesting/helpful 😊

opterono3

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 16, 2022
For your current setup do you use the 230w power supply from lenovo? I'm thinking about picking one up.

opterono3

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 16, 2022
Yeah, my Tiny came with the 230W brick but I think 180W would also be sufficient...
Thanks man. I had ordered the 230w just to be on the safe side. I saw your note about the PCI slot is limited to around 50W so I’ll be down clocking and indervolting to help with power draw.

I don’t have the means to make a single slot A2000 so for the mean time I’ll retro fit the dual slot and modify the case and panel to fit everything nicely.

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
This build is goals for me at the moment, though i cannot seem to find an A2000 at a reasonable price in Australia, nor can I then afford the single slot cooler mods :(
for now, rocking the stock P350 with T1000 quadro instead. gets the job done for me as a workstation, and i can play LoL at 250fps 4k ultra, and PUBG at 1080p low-medium at 60fps which has my only two non console games covered :)

I am interested in the lower noise cpu fan though, as the stock one is awfully loud!

Revo, you seem to build my dream systems all the time.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
This build is goals for me at the moment, though i cannot seem to find an A2000 at a reasonable price in Australia, nor can I then afford the single slot cooler mods :(
for now, rocking the stock P350 with T1000 quadro instead. gets the job done for me as a workstation, and i can play LoL at 250fps 4k ultra, and PUBG at 1080p low-medium at 60fps which has my only two non console games covered :)

I am interested in the lower noise cpu fan though, as the stock one is awfully loud!

Revo, you seem to build my dream systems all the time.
PM incoming

Reactions: DrLeroy