Power Supply A Guide to 12V PSU

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
This seems true to the MW spec sheet then. The RPS (and epp, same unit) is rated at 0.5W no load.

MW is a quality manufacturer so I expect their specs to be accurate. It is similar to gold rated PSU, but the price does show.

I've only ever recommended the RPS/EPP series so this is good confirmation to their quality.

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Quick update : I'll be using a uhp-200-24 for the GPU and rps-200-24 for CPU and Mobo. Both will be fed through their individual KMPKT 160's. I'll just be having two sets of wires coming from my C6 connector

The uhp has three-pronged input, but the RPS does not. So my question : where should I put the ground terminal for the rps? I know I can just use one of the screws holding it to its case, but what I'll likely end up doing is hack the case so only the backplate from it remains, and double-side tape that to the S4M. Since there might be no real contact between the rps and the metal S4M "wall", do I need to find another ground terminal?

I mean - an easy one would be the screws that hold the case feet, but will that serve the intended function?

Thank you!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Quick update : I'll be using a uhp-200-24 for the GPU and rps-200-24 for CPU and Mobo. Both will be fed through their individual KMPKT 160's. I'll just be having two sets of wires coming from my C6 connector

The uhp has three-pronged input, but the RPS does not. So my question : where should I put the ground terminal for the rps? I know I can just use one of the screws holding it to its case, but what I'll likely end up doing is hack the case so only the backplate from it remains, and double-side tape that to the S4M. Since there might be no real contact between the rps and the metal S4M "wall", do I need to find another ground terminal?

I mean - an easy one would be the screws that hold the case feet, but will that serve the intended function?

Thank you!

You'd use one of the screws that holds the board.

You can also check which part of the chassis is marked with the grounding symbol, but generally they are all on the same grounding plane.

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
One more please :

The kmpkt 160 has two positive, and two negative, wires that connect to the GPU. The 160 end has a Mini-Fit Jr 4-pin and the GPU end a 6+2 pin. The 4->8 wires are bridged right at the 8-pin.

Reason I ask is to connect a MeanWell uhp-200-12 direct to the GPU - I'm thinking the easiest way would be to use my 160's GPU connector, but cut off the 4-pin Mini-Fit Jr end, leaving me 4 bare wires (2 pos, 2 neg). Uhp has 2 each pos and neg screw outputs, so that'd work perfectly - if I'm not missing anything!

That would work, right?

Cheers!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
One more please :

The kmpkt 160 has two positive, and two negative, wires that connect to the GPU. The 160 end has a Mini-Fit Jr 4-pin and the GPU end a 6+2 pin. The 4->8 wires are bridged right at the 8-pin.

Reason I ask is to connect a MeanWell uhp-200-12 direct to the GPU - I'm thinking the easiest way would be to use my 160's GPU connector, but cut off the 4-pin Mini-Fit Jr end, leaving me 4 bare wires (2 pos, 2 neg). Uhp has 2 each pos and neg screw outputs, so that'd work perfectly - if I'm not missing anything!

That would work, right?

Cheers!

Correct. However, you run to the "always on" problem. Some GPUs, motherboard combos, don't like always being supplied 12V and has weird interactions, like the fan running at 100% or LEDs stay on.

Also, I don't recommend others to use two PSUs. @SilverJS uses two PSUs at his own risk.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
320w convection cooled :D
The datasheet says 200mVp-p for ripple compared to 120mVp-p for the EPP-400. I'm curious to see what that'll actually translate too since they're usually quite a bit under the rating on their reports where they measure it.
https://www.meanwell-web.com/content/files/pdfs/productPdfs/MW/EPP-500/EPP-500-spec.pdf

It'll likely be 120mV nominal. They rated the 240mV to be 130mV nominal when measured.

But note this also means well for the hdplex users. Using a shorter gpu, and in the chassis I'm designing, it is a much cheaper option than the hdplex 400w ac-dc.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Hey @Thehack , A meanwell wire kit like the one you're already offering, but working natively with minibox psu's, could be something that makes meanwell truely accessible. I've been wanting to try it for a while but I feel like I do not have the skils to do all the wiring myself. Both minibox and meanwell have good availability, this kit could be the missing link for many?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hey @Thehack , A meanwell wire kit like the one you're already offering, but working natively with minibox psu's, could be something that makes meanwell truely accessible. I've been wanting to try it for a while but I feel like I do not have the skils to do all the wiring myself. Both minibox and meanwell have good availability, this kit could be the missing link for many?

If you're talking about the 200W version, the meanwell kit on my store is fully compatible.

Fully kit it out, https://j-hackcompany.com/?product=meanwell-rps-200w-kit

Select no plugin unit, and select the Minibox version on the output adapter.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Oh right ,I'm blind, I wasn't aware I had to uncheck the plugin unit to be able to select minibox as output. Thanks!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
320w convection cooled :D
The datasheet says 200mVp-p for ripple compared to 120mVp-p for the EPP-400. I'm curious to see what that'll actually translate too since they're usually quite a bit under the rating on their reports where they measure it.
https://www.meanwell-web.com/content/files/pdfs/productPdfs/MW/EPP-500/EPP-500-spec.pdf
It'll likely be 120mV nominal. They rated the 240mV to be 130mV nominal when measured.

But note this also means well for the hdplex users. Using a shorter gpu, and in the chassis I'm designing, it is a much cheaper option than the hdplex 400w ac-dc.
Wouldn't improving this be as simple as buying a large-ish ~16V capacitor and connecting it across either the output terminals of the MW or the input/connector of whatever it's connected to? Or have I fundamentally misunderstood how filter caps work?

pepar

Cable Smoosher
Mar 18, 2019
I was looking for a “pico ATX PSU calculator” and found this forum. This thread seemed like a good place to start. I did see that it is manufacturer-specific, and that’s OK as I am at square one on this.

However, googling Meanwell, I found “Mean Well” but all links to the manufacturer’s lead to Safari alerting me to an impersonating website. So, first question, what’s up with that?

Thanks,
Jeff

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I was looking for a “pico ATX PSU calculator” and found this forum. This thread seemed like a good place to start. I did see that it is manufacturer-specific, and that’s OK as I am at square one on this.

However, googling Meanwell, I found “Mean Well” but all links to the manufacturer’s lead to Safari alerting me to an impersonating website. So, first question, what’s up with that?

Thanks,
Jeff

It's a certificate/encryption issue. Just means that you shouldn't trust it to say what it is. But it's just an informational website so it's not an issue.

Some websites haven't switched to encrypted, but the default in 2019 is that all websites are encrypted. This means any unencrypted website gets flagged.

Welcome to our 12v party.

It is based around meanwell mainly because they're economically price and good quality. You can substitute any other manufacturers however as the concept is all the same.

Last edited:

pepar

Cable Smoosher
Mar 18, 2019
It's a certificate/encryption issue. Just means that you shouldn't trust it to say what it is. But it's just an informational website so it's not an issue.

Some websites haven't switched to encrypted, but the default in 2019 is that all websites are encrypted. This means any unencrypted website gets flagged.
I.e. HTTPS as opposed to HTTP?

pepar

Cable Smoosher
Mar 18, 2019
Alrighty, is there a PSU calculator for mini-ITX boxes? The usual ones are geared for loaded boxes ... multiple GPUs, storage, opticals, lots of fans, etc. None offers options for the "GPU" to be onboard video. My tries on them, using a 35 watt CPU, 2 x 4GB DRAM, an M.2 SSD and a CPU fan, result in what seems to me to be very high wattage.

What is the accepted way to determine the PSU size?

Thanks,
Jeff

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Alrighty, is there a PSU calculator for mini-ITX boxes? The usual ones are geared for loaded boxes ... multiple GPUs, storage, opticals, lots of fans, etc. None offers options for the "GPU" to be onboard video. My tries on them, using a 35 watt CPU, 2 x 4GB DRAM, an M.2 SSD and a CPU fan, result in what seems to me to be very high wattage.

What is the accepted way to determine the PSU size?

Thanks,
Jeff

We ballpark it based on experience. Generally we look at cpu power consumption reviews, and gpu. Case MB and other random things usually don't add more 20W. You need about 30% overhead for transient spikes.

Intel and Nvidia are pretty consistent with their consumption rating, provided you turn off MCE for intel.

But there is also the UV and underclock factor so we only loosely build around those specs.