Power Supply A Guide to 12V PSU

Tossy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2018
"Simply connecting the Ground prong of the AC connector to one of the Meanwell standoff hole with a 16AWG wire is enough ?"

And as a additional question: Does this also apply to the enclosed version of the Meanwell? Is it okay to use screws to fix the enclosure to the case without isolation?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
1. Yes. It is enough. You want the preferred grounding point.

2. Yes. It also has a chassis grounding point that you can also choose. There are two ways to consider electrical safety: fully ground the chassis, or fully isolate the power. Considering how open cases are, I'd say grounding and not isolating is the correct answer.

Reactions: Tossy

McSpain

Trash Compacter
Jun 8, 2018
Important disclaimer:

The heat sink on the Meanwell adapters (including their RPS line) is under voltage (130V at 230V input)! Do not try to ground them!

I learned that the hard way.
Yes, I'm stupid.

realdeal36

Chassis Packer
Dec 24, 2017
Just found the new darling of the open frame AC-DC power supply crowd:

https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/643/bcd.00879_aa_abc180_series-1116247.pdf

Also comes with matching enclosure (extra of course)

https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/643/bcd.00879_aa_abc180_series-1116247.pdf

I have ordered one and will be testing suitability for use with the KMPKT Dynamo Mini. While I understand the cost is high on this unit, if it works well I am planning to look at making a slight variant (120mm x 57mm x 25mm) that will hopefully be much cheaper due to the larger PCB size. Thoughts?
I'm seriously considering using this for an APU build I plan on doing in the future. The plan is to mod a Raijintek Morpheus II onto the CPU and have it positioned vertically (near the top of the motherboard side) so it cools the ABC180.

I figure I'll use a standard 6mm standoff for the motherboard and a 2mm piece of copper for the RM II bracket, which would theoretically give me 33mm to fit the PSU under it. Your custom enclosure for PSU + 6mm standoffs should put the total height at around 31mm. A snug fit. :)

Now, the only problems I see with this whole project is how to install the damn cooler... VLP ram is out of the question. I kid you not, if Raijintek moved the contact plate 15mm inward, it would solve all my problems. Would most likely need to offset the heatsink on the bracket (literally just a copper plate with holes in it for the heatsink and AM4 mounting holes). Not sure how much this would affect performance.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I'm seriously considering using this for an APU build I plan on doing in the future. The plan is to mod a Raijintek Morpheus II onto the CPU and have it positioned vertically (near the top of the motherboard side) so it cools the ABC180.

I figure I'll use a standard 6mm standoff for the motherboard and a 2mm piece of copper for the RM II bracket, which would theoretically give me 33mm to fit the PSU under it. Your custom enclosure for PSU + 6mm standoffs should put the total height at around 31mm. A snug fit. :)

Now, the only problems I see with this whole project is how to install the damn cooler... VLP ram is out of the question. I kid you not, if Raijintek moved the contact plate 15mm inward, it would solve all my problems. Would most likely need to offset the heatsink on the bracket (literally just a copper plate with holes in it for the heatsink and AM4 mounting holes). Not sure how much this would affect performance.

I think using a traditional cooler would be just as effective, something like a Reeven Brontes.

You can ask a machine shop to make a bracket that fits, but one off things like that are fairly expensive.

realdeal36

Chassis Packer
Dec 24, 2017
I think using a traditional cooler would be just as effective, something like a Reeven Brontes.
True, but maybe only for 65W processors. If the leaks from AdoredTV are anything to be believed, that 95W APU (which is what I intend on purchasing) would need a larger cooler to keep overclocked temps in the mid 70's, all while doing it quietly. I could put something like a Silverstone NT06-PRO-V2 in, but that thing is 82mm with the fan on the bottom. The Morpheus is 42mm without any fans, and I'd like to keep total case height below 90mm. Who knows, maybe once we start to see some test results for the Alpenfohn Black Ridge (with full 6 working heatpipes) cooling 95W cpu's, maybe I'll change my mind about this whole project.
You can ask a machine shop to make a bracket that fits, but one off things like that are fairly expensive.

I actually do have access to a machinist shop and believe I can do almost everything necessary to make the 'bracket' functional without asking one of the machinists there for help (they won't let anyone other than machinists use the CNC Mill, shame really since I have experience using them). I can purchase the necessary thickness of copper from Ebay for ~$20.

Any whoo! This is all contingent on being able to purchase the ABC180 + custom enclosure for what I'm hoping is under $85. I can't justify spending $120-130 on a DC-ATX.

EDIT: AC-DC, not DC-ATX. I confused the two.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
@realdeal36 If you shop around, some companies do make sub 60mm coolers that are rated for ~100w CPU, I believe Cryorig C7 is rated for 95W, and Scythe Kozuti is rated for 95W at max RPM, could undervolt a bit to help with noise. ID cooling also make some low profile coolers, not idea what they're rated for.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@realdeal36 If you shop around, some companies do make sub 60mm coolers that are rated for ~100w CPU, I believe Cryorig C7 is rated for 95W, and Scythe Kozuti is rated for 95W at max RPM, could undervolt a bit to help with noise. ID cooling also make some low profile coolers, not idea what they're rated for.

The rating on them don't really make sense. In experience, something like a 60mm cooler, like the brontes or big shuriken can handle about 100W just fine, while the C7 will either throttle or be obnoxious. It also depends if the cpu is soldered with good heat transfer.

True, but maybe only for 65W processors. If the leaks from AdoredTV are anything to be believed, that 95W APU (which is what I intend on purchasing) would need a larger cooler to keep overclocked temps in the mid 70's, all while doing it quietly. I could put something like a Silverstone NT06-PRO-V2 in, but that thing is 82mm with the fan on the bottom. The Morpheus is 42mm without any fans, and I'd like to keep total case height below 90mm. Who knows, maybe once we start to see some test results for the Alpenfohn Black Ridge (with full 6 working heatpipes) cooling 95W cpu's, maybe I'll change my mind about this whole project.

I actually do have access to a machinist shop and believe I can do almost everything necessary to make the 'bracket' functional without asking one of the machinists there for help (they won't let anyone other than machinists use the CNC Mill, shame really since I have experience using them). I can purchase the necessary thickness of copper from Ebay for ~$20.

Any whoo! This is all contingent on being able to purchase the ABC180 + custom enclosure for what I'm hoping is under $85. I can't justify spending $120-130 on a DC-ATX.

EDIT: AC-DC, not DC-ATX. I confused the two.

A brontes would be fine for a 95W Amd chip, and even more so if it comes soldered. I'd give it a try before writing it off, you can always return it. Also allows you to use cheaper 2x4 PSU (around $55 each)

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Looking at the RPS-200-24-C datasheet : am I correct in deducing that the cover has built-in standoffs? Seems like that from the drawings. If so, I can just bolt the housing right to the S4M without need for further standoffs, right?

So - assuming Aquelito's load switch, confirm I'm good to use this to power the Mobo and CPU (via kmpkt Dynamo 160) and use a uhp-200-12 for the GPU?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Looking at the RPS-200-24-C datasheet : am I correct in deducing that the cover has built-in standoffs? Seems like that from the drawings. If so, I can just bolt the housing right to the S4M without need for further standoffs, right?

So - assuming Aquelito's load switch, confirm I'm good to use this to power the Mobo and CPU (via kmpkt Dynamo 160) and use a uhp-200-12 for the GPU?

Yes the cover includes the stand off and can be direct bolted to any chassis.

You can see it being used in my case here:

The UHP isn't very filtered, so I don't recommend using it. But what case will you use this in? S4? I don't think the RPS-200-24-C will fit.

Reactions: Choidebu

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
S4M, yeah. As for fitment - it should...? The uhp is 55mm wide, and fits (perfectly, as if made to fit) when on its side. The rps is 50mm, so I don't see why it wouldn't. It's deeper, yes - the uhp is 26mm and uncovered rps is 29mm. Mouser lists the covered version as 29mm too, but that's certainly a mistake... But, from @petricor 's build, looks like there's a fair bit of clearance between his uhp and the motherboard so I think the covered rps is good. Otherwise, I'll go uncovered, and can even use a few washers as standoffs to further reduce thickness.

Mouser has a decent return policy if I've missed something. :) .

About that uhp - thing is, it's the only one I know that can give that wattage, passively, of that size (and price!). I suppose I could run two rsp's but I'd be limited to 140w on each.

Unless.... Unless....I use small 40mm fans (those Noctua's are only 10mm thick) on the sides of the psu's...

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
So - assuming Aquelito's load switch, confirm I'm good to use this to power the Mobo and CPU

can you please clarify why you want to use a 200-24-C, instead of a 200-12-C [ https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/RPS-200-12-C?qs=jRFAGhNBpj9vanBsj8iTeA== ] ??

because i've been told that a 200-12-C can power my motherboard/CPU,
when used with a 12V Pico unit [ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TWE6B8/?tag=theminutiae-20 ]

and wouldn't an all-12V system be preferred ??

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
I was mostly here to discuss electric feasibility of my plan, so partly disagreed - but you're right, I'll keep the S4M-specific portions out.

On 12V bits for mobo et al : already have a kmpkt 160.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
S4M, yeah. As for fitment - it should...? The uhp is 55mm wide, and fits (perfectly, as if made to fit) when on its side. The rps is 50mm, so I don't see why it wouldn't. It's deeper, yes - the uhp is 26mm and uncovered rps is 29mm. Mouser lists the covered version as 29mm too, but that's certainly a mistake... But, from @petricor 's build, looks like there's a fair bit of clearance between his uhp and the motherboard so I think the covered rps is good. Otherwise, I'll go uncovered, and can even use a few washers as standoffs to further reduce thickness.

Mouser has a decent return policy if I've missed something. :) .

About that uhp - thing is, it's the only one I know that can give that wattage, passively, of that size (and price!). I suppose I could run two rsp's but I'd be limited to 140w on each.

Unless.... Unless....I use small 40mm fans (those Noctua's are only 10mm thick) on the sides of the psu's...

I'm running my Meanwell close to 200w without a 40mm fan, that said, it's next to some case vents and I think is getting some passive airflow thanks to my case fans and CPU fan.