Power Supply Dell 216w (12v, 18A) Power Brick

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
Today I picked up a few Dell D220P-01 Power Bricks (for free). They caught my eye primarily because instead of a standard laptop charger plug on the end, they had (what at first glance) appeared to be a PCI-E 8 pin plug. Further research shows that it is keyed and wired differently (more on that below) but I have googled around and there were quite a few people using them on RC battery chargers with great results.

You can seem from the above pics it looks like the physical pins are reversed (on the clip side of the plug the pins are square, angled, angled, square with those pins being ground vs power) so definitely not compatible.

So, my question here is, has anyone messed with these power supplies before and used them to power a 160W Pico PSU? Seems like a simple mod to do -- most of JohnyGuru's complaints with PicoPSUs tended to be the crappy 12V bricks that weren't efficient, which is why he favored a 19v charger approach.

Second, has anyone had experience wiring up an adapter like this to a GPU? I know we've talked about dual brick setups (and I am not a fan by any means, don't get me wrong) but I am curious from a science POV. Seems very simple if you aren't worrying about stepping down voltage and the brick can handle the voltage spikes. I found some forums posts from 2009 where someone was able to do it and it seemed pretty simple in concept.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
The B-plus PCIE egpu adapter has a power connector specifically for this brick. I've seen mods to to trigger the power on for the brick using a pico style supply. Think it was on the PSCR forum, I'll search around.

http://www.bplus.com.tw/Adapter/PE4C V4.1.html

Stevo_ on the spot - thanks for these timely links! Nothing new under the sun I guess.

Sometimes with all the advances in technology we've made I feel like computer users in the past have done so much more with so much less..

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
i used this dell adaptor in my DC PSU for about 4 years and it works great.now i can mod it to 400w @12Vout 500w@18Vout.it has peak 800watts out put @220Vac in.the highest effiency may reach to 96%+ after MODDing its ouput inductor and all MOSFET including the most important SR mosfets.

Welcome to the forum!

You would post this right afterm I just ordered an HDPLEX 300W and a PucoPSU.

Looks very interesting, can't wait to see some build using your PSUs.

Reactions: 1461748123

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Stevo_ on the spot - thanks for these timely links! Nothing new under the sun I guess.

Sometimes with all the advances in technology we've made I feel like computer users in the past have done so much more with so much less..

Yeah, when first started looking into SFF and power bricks I think that was one of the first threads I saw, those DELL bricks were just so inexpensive compared to the 19V jobs.