Prototype 3D Printable Fully Parametric Case

nrp

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Just the .stl files. The SCAD files are the "source" and the .stls are the compiled models. The lid has geometry on the edges that won't work directly laser cut. You would need to come up with an alternate method to attach the lid for it to work. ABS should be fine. I don't use it because it's harder to print with and the fumes are worse.

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
Just the .stl files. The SCAD files are the "source" and the .stls are the compiled models.
So, I should provide all the .stf files, instead of just the mini-itx.stl? (I'm asking again, just to be sure that everything ends up correctly, even that I think the mini-itx file would be enough considering it's already compiled, right?)
The lid has geometry on the edges that won't work directly laser cut. You would need to come up with an alternate method to attach the lid for it to work.
That's fine, thank you for the answer.
ABS should be fine. I don't use it because it's harder to print with and the fumes are worse.
Thank you!
Also, I'm not too familiar with coding and I was trying to change the vent holes to circular, instead of rectangular, but I ended up with just one circular hole instead the same amount of rectangular ones.

Do you have any specific keyword I should look in youtube or other places to understand how to properly do it?
I'm sorry for asking this again, I understand that you can have missed this part as I'm usually asking a lot of things to you, If possible and just if you have enough time, would you mind guiding me?

Thank you for all your help and your attention.
I'm sorry for all the inconvenience.

Have a nice time.

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
mini-itx.stl is the body of the case. mini-itx-lid.stl is the lid. feet.stl is feet that can be glued on and should be printed in a flexible material for them to be useful. GitHub lets you preview files to see what they are: https://github.com/eclecticc/ParametricCase/blob/master/feet.stl
I was aware of that, I just asked If anything could go wrong in case I didn't provide all the modules with the mini-itx file, but, as I said, one company has already printed in a small scale just with the mini-itx file, but I thought would be better to ask to confirm and to be 100% sure.

I know I've been bothering you a lot, If you don't mind, could you please answer just this last question?
Also, I'm not too familiar with coding and I was trying to change the vent holes to circular, instead of rectangular, but I ended up with just one circular hole instead the same amount of rectangular ones.

Do you have any specific keyword I should look in youtube or other places to understand how to properly do/change it?

Thank you for all your help and your attention.
I'm sorry for all the inconvenience.

Have a nice time.

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2018
Just wanted to jump in here give some cred for both the idea and the design. Very nice work indeed. I've recently started with 3d modelling and was recommended by a fried to take a look at OpenScad (since I'm a programmer). I don't regret that I did :D love it. Picked it up really quickly and after a week or so designed the prototype of the Ncase M1 "tophat" (still work in progress). Don't own a printer yet myself, but my friend has the CR-10s with 50x50x50 print volume, one could make big cases with that thing XD.

Also see you guys are talking about 3Dhubs. I've used them before, but recently they have shifted over to B2B only, so prices there could be rather high. I came across https://www.treatstock.com they are basically what 3Dhubs once was. There I found people who could do prints for decent amount of money. But if you are starting to see the need for more and more prints, it would be better in the long run to just buy a printer.

Reactions: dcbn and nrp

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
Just wanted to jump in here give some cred for both the idea and the design. Very nice work indeed. I've recently started with 3d modelling and was recommended by a fried to take a look at OpenScad (since I'm a programmer). I don't regret that I did :D love it. Picked it up really quickly and after a week or so designed the prototype of the Ncase M1 "tophat" (still work in progress). Don't own a printer yet myself, but my friend has the CR-10s with 50x50x50 print volume, one could make big cases with that thing XD.

Also see you guys are talking about 3Dhubs. I've used them before, but recently they have shifted over to B2B only, so prices there could be rather high. I came across https://www.treatstock.com they are basically what 3Dhubs once was. There I found people who could do prints for decent amount of money. But if you are starting to see the need for more and more prints, it would be better in the long run to just buy a printer.
Thank you for your recommendation, I found some better prices, but only on US.

You can check out other OpenSCAD based designs on Thingiverse for examples of how to do repeating patterns: https://www.thingiverse.com/search?sort=relevant&type=things&customizable=1
@nrp I'm sorry for bothering you again.

Could you please tell me If would be possible to use "projection()" on your case to generate 2D files? If so, where should I add this line of command?

(I've added in line number 9 and I could export as .svg but only the bottom part of the case. Do you have any idea how to export the other faces?)

Would it be viable to rotate all the object around a different axis? I don't know how to do it, though. (I'm talking about something like was discussed in this link.)

Thank you for your help and your attention.
I'm sorry for all the inconvenience, I wouldn't be bothering you that much If I wasn't in the need of a case, I'm sorry.

Last edited:

nrp

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
I want to caveat that if you need a case and you don't have a 3d printer and filament on hand, printing it is probably one of the slowest and most expensive ways to go.

Here's a tutorial on rotating and projecting to 2d: http://blog.bangsplatpresents.com/?p=1123

Again though, I want to warn that that is unlikely to result in a successful case unless you're making significant changes to the design for the 2d sides to fit together.

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
I want to caveat that if you need a case and you don't have a 3d printer and filament on hand, printing it is probably one of the slowest and most expensive ways to go.

Here's a tutorial on rotating and projecting to 2d: http://blog.bangsplatpresents.com/?p=1123

Again though, I want to warn that that is unlikely to result in a successful case unless you're making significant changes to the design for the 2d sides to fit together.
It's fine, thank you for your notes!

Just to be sure, will be possible to rotate the entire case? Is there any specific line where I should add the rotate commands? In the beginning, the middle or the end?

Thank you and I'm sorry for all the inconvenience.

nrp

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
It's fine, thank you for your notes!

Just to be sure, will be possible to rotate the entire case? Is there any specific line where I should add the rotate commands? In the beginning, the middle or the end?

Thank you and I'm sorry for all the inconvenience.
You can apply it directly to the last line in the file.

Reactions: el01

KoVieirA

What's an ITX?
New User
Feb 17, 2021
Hello everyone, I'm sorry for posting on such an old post but i would really appreciate some help here. I'm planning on printing this case for my daughter and i could change few stuffs to fit the parts, the big problem is i cannot for the life of me figure it out the GPU parameters, if anyone could help me me and my daughter would appreciate a lot!
Thanks in advance.