Prototype 3D Printable Fully Parametric Case

laser_ninja

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018
kennui.com
Very interesting. Is this something you would release online, where someone and input their numbers?

I would like to see parameters for spacing. E.g. giving the GPU spacing from the side panel so it isn't flush and creating turbulence.

If you do release it, spacing could be a secondary field when inputting component dimensions. E.g. specify your GPU length (optional height/thickness) and then also specifying spacing on the fan side and connector side.

nrp

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Very interesting. Is this something you would release online, where someone and input their numbers?

I would like to see parameters for spacing. E.g. giving the GPU spacing from the side panel so it isn't flush and creating turbulence.

If you do release it, spacing could be a secondary field when inputting component dimensions. E.g. specify your GPU length (optional height/thickness) and then also specifying spacing on the fan side and connector side.
Probably not until Thingiverse adds multi-file support to their Customizer: https://www.thingiverse.com/customizer

Edit: To clarify, I am releasing the files. You'll just have to download OpenSCAD to edit them rather than doing it through a webpage. OpenSCAD is free and reasonably easy to use.

Reactions: NateDawg72

nrp

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Do you have a rough estimate of how much would cost to print it?

Thank you for attention.
Congratulations on your work! :)
If you have access to a printer, it's $5 to $10 of plastic. If you don't, I'm not sure what it would cost from Shapeways or similar, but I imagine it would be prohibitively expensive.

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
If you have access to a printer, it's $5 to $10 of plastic. If you don't, I'm not sure what it would cost from Shapeways or similar, but I imagine it would be prohibitively expensive.
I'm amazed, It's the exact case I was looking for, also, I have all the same parts except the PSU, which is an SF450.

Sadly, printing a case in my country is too expensive and I don't even know If I can find a company to print it using the same filaments you've used.

If possible, please, could you answer some questions?

If so...
  1. Do you think is there any way to laser cut it using acrylic? (I mean, each part separately.)
    1. If the answer is yes, would it be necessary to use a "2D" format file - like .svg, right?
  2. Is it possible to change the vent squares? (If It's possible, should I just replace the command lines?) Yes, it is.
  3. Do you think I'd have any implication/compromise using it vertically?
  4. If I can't find any way to print or laser cut it, do you think would you be able to sell one unit for me? (I don't want to bother you with all this trouble, I'm sorry about that, I'm just desperate for a case and your project is exactly what I was looking for.)
Thank you for all your help, attention and your work, It's impressive.
I'm sorry for all the inconvenience and time I'm making you spend with my problems, also I'm sorry for any typo.

Congratulations and thank you for your work, helping all the community! :)

Last edited:

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
Sadly, printing a case in my country is too expensive and I don't even know If I can find a company to print it using the same filaments you've used.
Have yoy already tried 3DHubs? It has fairly big range of "shops", ranging from the hobbyst who bought a 3D printer and wants some form of ROI, to the enstabilished shop who have wonderful printing quality...

nrp

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Have yoy already tried 3DHubs? It has fairly big range of "shops", ranging from the hobbyst who bought a 3D printer and wants some form of ROI, to the enstabilished shop who have wonderful printing quality...
I just uploaded the case I printed to 3DHubs to check. It looks like it's around $100 there. On the one hand, that's not bad for a fully custom case. On the other hand, you can buy a decent enough 3D printer yourself for $350 and have as many cases as you want for $10 each :)

Edit: Actually, it's even cheaper than that. The CReality Ender-3 (basically a cheap knockoff of the Prusa i3 printer I use) is available for $199, and has a large enough print volume for the default case config: https://www.creality3d.shop/collect...inting-function-v-slot-prusa-i3-220x220x250mm

I'm amazed, It's the exact case I was looking for, also, I have all the same parts except the PSU, which is an SF450.

If possible, please, could you answer some questions?

If so...
  1. Do you think is there any way to laser cut it using acrylic? (I mean, each part separately.)
    1. If the answer is yes, would it be necessary to use a "2D" format file - like .svg, right?
  2. Is it possible to change the vent squares? (If It's possible, should I just replace the command lines?) Yes, it is.
  3. Do you think I'd have any implication/compromise using it vertically?
  4. If I can't find any way to print or laser cut it, do you think would you be able to sell one unit for me? (I don't want to bother you with all this trouble, I'm sorry about that, I'm just desperate for a case and your project is exactly what I was looking for.)
Thank you for all your help, attention and your work, It's impressive.
I'm sorry for all the inconvenience and time I'm making you spend with my problems, also I'm sorry for any typo.

Congratulations and thank you for your work, helping all the community! :)
1. You'd be better off starting from scratch for a laser cut version. It would deviate too much from the design.
3. No, it should work in any orientation. One note is that the top cover attachment is pretty poor right now and needs a re-thinking, so it works best when it actually is the top surface.
4. I won't be able to, but as noted above, 3DHubs is worth checking out, or looking into getting your own low cost printer.

Last edited:

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
I've tried and It's at least $100, without shipment.

Thank you for the recommendation! :)
I just uploaded the case I printed to 3DHubs to check. It looks like it's around $100 there. On the one hand, that's not bad for a fully custom case. On the other hand, you can buy a decent enough 3D printer yourself for $350 and have as many cases as you want for $10 each :)
In my country, a $350 3D printer would cost $1000 minimum.
1. You'd be better off starting from scratch for a laser cut version. It would deviate too much from the design.
3. No, it should work in any orientation. One note is that the top cover attachment is pretty poor right now and needs a re-thinking, so it works best when it actually is the top surface.
4. I won't be able to, but as noted above, 3DHubs is worth checking out, or looking into getting your own low cost printer.
1. The problem would be precisely pointing the holes etc. (Is there any way to "separate" all the parts from your project? So I can make .svg files?)
3. That's fine!
4. I checked it and It's $100 without shipment. Do you have any low-cost printer recommendation that could print your case?

Thank you for all your attention!
I'm sorry for all the inconvenience.

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
I just uploaded the case I printed to 3DHubs to check. It looks like it's around $100 there.

4. I checked it and It's $100 without shipment. Do you have any low-cost printer recommendation that could print your case?

that is not cheap at all... do you have uploaded the .stl file somewhere so I don't have to install everything to try?

nrp

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Some build photos:

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
@dcbn Not sure where you are based, but places like GearBest ship pretty much anywhere directly from China: https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_1845898.html
I'm in Brazil.

Did you recommend the Creality randomly or because It's a good product?

(Thank you anyway!)

Besides the fact that It's a commercial thing, why do people charge so much for it? I mean, If It costs $8 to be done, wouldn't it be fair to charge a lot less than $80~$100?

(I'm not judging, I'm trying to understand If I'm ignoring any specific reason that I'm not aware.)

Some build photos:

Your pictures made me jealous!

I'm going to insist as I'm desperate, considering I'm using an 8 years old laptop because I don't have a case to build my computer.

Wouldn't you be interested to make one for me for the price you choose?

(If the answer is no again, could you tell me If It's because you don't want to "wear out" your 3D printer?)

Thank you so much for your effort, attention and all your help.

If I'm surpassing the limit of inconvenience, please, let me know.

Have a nice time! :)

ExplodingWaffle101

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 11, 2018
I'm in Brazil.

Besides the fact that It's a commercial thing, why do people charge so much for it? I mean, If It costs $8 to be done, wouldn't it be fair to charge a lot less than $80~$100?
the cost limit with 3d printing is time. if you scroll up OP said print time is 40 hours. you're paying for time on someones printer, not the plastic.

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
the cost limit with 3d printing is time. if you scroll up OP said print time is 40 hours. you're paying for time on someones printer, not the plastic.
Yes, I understand.

I even asked later If I was ignoring something, but I'd like to understand If when you print something If you have to stay near to the printer to "check" if everything is going ok or If you can just turn it on and leave.

I also asked If there was something related to the "wear out" of the printer.

Thank you anyway! :)

nrp

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Yes, I understand.

I even asked later If I was ignoring something, but I'd like to understand If when you print something If you have to stay near to the printer to "check" if everything is going ok or If you can just turn it on and leave.

I also asked If there was something related to the "wear out" of the printer.

Thank you anyway! :)
I haven’t used Creality, but it seems to be one of the more popular printers.

The price for the prints is basically what the market will bear I think. Print time, plastic, profits, accounting for failed prints or post-processing, etc.

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
accounting for failed prints or post-processing, etc.
Hello again, nrp.

I'm sorry for bothering you again.

I'm trying to find a company to print it to me in Brazil.

(I've already read all your ReadMe, especially the printing part.)

As I'm not familiar with 3D projects, I'd like to know which information I should provide to the company when asking for an estimate of the price beyond the specifications, infill etc.
(Or If just the file.)

Also, should I alert them about anything that they should/shouldn't adjust before printing?

What are the chances of them printing it wrongly?

One of the companies told me they could print it in two parts, do you think there is any problem with it?

I'm sorry for all the inconvenience again.
Thank you so much for your work and your effort on making it possible.

You did a really great job, be proud of you! :)

nrp

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
You should just need to provide them with the case and lid STL files. Normally when you send out a part for fabrication, you would call out critical dimensions that need to be met within certain tolerances through drawings. Otherwise you'll basically get "best effort" on the dimensions matching what is in 3D CAD. In this case, there are a ton of critical dimensions and no drawings. Unless you want to make drawings, you'll probably need to accept the risk of things being off.

You could try splitting the case file into two parts, but adhesive may not be a good way to attach the two. It's better to get it printed in a single part.

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
You should just need to provide them with the case and lid STL files. Normally when you send out a part for fabrication, you would call out critical dimensions that need to be met within certain tolerances through drawings. Otherwise you'll basically get "best effort" on the dimensions matching what is in 3D CAD. In this case, there are a ton of critical dimensions and no drawings. Unless you want to make drawings, you'll probably need to accept the risk of things being off.
Thank you for all the explanation.
I'm sorry for all the questions I keep doing, If you are busy and you can't answer them, feel free to just ignore me. It's all good.

Should I just share the mini-itx file or do I need to share all the others files in the folder? (Because of the modules.)

(One company has printed it in a small scale and It worked, I'm just asking If I should share the other files to avoid any problem.)

Also, I'm not too familiar with coding and I was trying to change the vent holes to circular, instead of rectangular, but I ended up with just one circular hole instead the same amount of rectangular ones.

Do you have any specific keyword I should look in youtube or other places to understand how to properly do it?

About the lid part, do you think would be possible to replace it with a laser-cut acrylic piece? (Not for RGB purpose, It's just because would be cheaper in my case.)
You could try splitting the case file into two parts, but adhesive may not be a good way to attach the two. It's better to get it printed in a single part.
So far in Brazil, all the companies say that they would have to do in two parts only, which I didn't want, but, unfortunately, It seems to be the only way to get it printed here.

Also, I've read that ABS is more resistant than PLA, is that right? The cheapest service I found use ABS, should I be worried? (I've asked them to give me an estimate of the price based on your recommendations.)

Again, thank you so much for your help, attention and your effort.

Have a wonderful time. :)

Last edited: