Prototype 3D Printable Fully Parametric Case

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
The model is now basically fully built out as parametric. I can specify the heatsink and power supply type and the case is automatically generated to the right size to fit the largest component dimensions:
Code:
traditional(show_internals = true, heatsink_type = "noctua_nh_l12s", psu_type = "flexatx");
//traditional(show_internals = true, heatsink_type = "aio", psu_type = "sfx");

So is this a step toward a "list your components and BOOM! instant case design" type thing? Regardless, this is cool!

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
In theory, yes. You could generate a printable case directly out of a parts list if the list contains dimensions for the key items (heatsink height, PSU type, and GPU length primarily).
That's really interesting and innovative.

Would you be able to test the following list of components for me, please? (There is no problem If you can't, don't worry.)
If I can provide any additional information that will make your job easy, please, let me know so I can do it.

Thank you for your help and your attention.
I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Congratulations on your job.

nrp

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
That's really interesting and innovative.

Would you be able to test the following list of components for me, please? (There is no problem If you can't, don't worry.)
If I can provide any additional information that will make your job easy, please, let me know so I can do it.

Thank you for your help and your attention.

Congratulations on your job.
That is basically a combination of the two that I posted. The stacked height of the L12S and the SFX PSU is pretty unfortunate. You end up with a 7.35L case instead of the 6.3L or 6.7L

Edit: Though if you want to reduce the clearance from the heatsink to the PSU to 0, you can go <7L.

Reactions: Soul_Est and dcbn

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
That is basically a combination of the two that I posted. The stacked height of the L12S and the SFX PSU is pretty unfortunate. You end up with a 7.35L case instead of the 6.3L or 6.7L

Edit: Though if you want to reduce the clearance from the heatsink to the PSU to 0, you can go <7L.
Thank you!

Would you mind to share the result of the dimensions, please?

I'm sorry for all the inconvenience.

nrp

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
"Case dimensions X:", 216.8, " Y:", 205.64, " Z:", 164.77, " L:", 7.3459

Note that those are the dimensions of the body of the case. There are some things that poke out of that.

nrp

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
The nice thing about that design is you can comfortably fit at 140mm fan in the front.

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
"Case dimensions X:", 216.8, " Y:", 205.64, " Z:", 164.77, " L:", 7.3459

Note that those are the dimensions of the body of the case. There are some things that poke out of that.
Thank you for all the help!

Best of luck on your project, It's very interesting. :)

nrp

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
I've started the first print of this, which comes in at 360g of filament for a version with 3mm thick walls with 20% fill. That's around $8 for the brand I currently use, though it could be done in $5 with cheaper filament. I suspect 3mm with 20% is going to end up overkill, but I wanted to play it safe on the first try.

Total print time is around 40 hours.

nrp

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
The print went extremely smoothly:

Not bad for a first revision, but I found a bunch of issues to resolve:
  • Threaded inserts need a little more clearance.
  • Got the screw hole placements wrong for 120mm fans.
  • Forgot to take into account the 8 pin connector for the video card.
  • Need some more clearance from the PSU to the side wall.
  • Used M3 screw holes rather than #6-32 for the PSU.
  • Need to add vent holes to allow an upside down PSU installation.
  • The PCI bracket case slots aren't wide enough.
  • Forgot entirely to add a power button or front USB, audio, or LEDs. Are there good off the shelf modules for this?
  • The motherboard I/O panel cover has a flange that prevents it from fitting.
  • Still need to add a screw for the top cover rather than just friction fit.
  • There possibly needs to be more space to properly accomodate the hoses for the AIO cooler, but I'm going to try squeezing it in.
  • I need to add a 2.5" drive spot somewhere.
  • 3mm walls result in an extremely solid bucket, but 2.5mm or 2mm are probably workable.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That is a clean looking prototype. Sucks about the parts not aligning completely, but in my experience the I/O shield and GPU bracket were the trickiest to get aligned right.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
The print went extremely smoothly:

Not bad for a first revision, but I found a bunch of issues to resolve:
  • Threaded inserts need a little more clearance.
  • Got the screw hole placements wrong for 120mm fans.
  • Forgot to take into account the 8 pin connector for the video card.
  • Need some more clearance from the PSU to the side wall.
  • Used M3 screw holes rather than #6-32 for the PSU.
  • Need to add vent holes to allow an upside down PSU installation.
  • The PCI bracket case slots aren't wide enough.
  • Forgot entirely to add a power button or front USB, audio, or LEDs. Are there good off the shelf modules for this?
  • The motherboard I/O panel cover has a flange that prevents it from fitting.
  • Still need to add a screw for the top cover rather than just friction fit.
  • There possibly needs to be more space to properly accomodate the hoses for the AIO cooler, but I'm going to try squeezing it in.
  • I need to add a 2.5" drive spot somewhere.
  • 3mm walls result in an extremely solid bucket, but 2.5mm or 2mm are probably workable.
Great!

Would it be possible to design more types of fan holes? e.g. round/diagonal? I think that might be cool, but if you don't have time/it's not a priority, it's OK too!

nrp

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
The vent hole shape is a completely independent module that takes in the X/Y size of the vent area. It's a simple thing to change the shape, but it's low on the list of changes to make. I am considering tapering the holes for improved airflow though.

Code:
module vent_rectangular(size, pitch, wall) {
    // Adjust the pitch to fit the total size
    fixed_pitch = size[0]/floor(size[0]/pitch);

// Holes for ventilation
    // TODO: Taper the holes to reduce turbulance
    for (x = [-size[0]/2:fixed_pitch:size[0]/2-fixed_pitch]) {
        for (y = [-size[1]/2:fixed_pitch:size[1]/2-fixed_pitch]) {
            translate([x+wall/2, y+wall/2, -30]) cube([fixed_pitch-wall, fixed_pitch-wall, 60]);
        }
    }
}

niksus

Efficiency Noob
May 20, 2015
I can't believe what I'm looking at :)
Great idea, dude!

Can you add low profile graphics card support?

nrp

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018

I managed to fry my motherboard, so I put this project on pause for a while. I picked up a 2700X and a Strix B450-I though and have put together what I hope will be the last rev of this case before "release". I added a power button and front USB and some features on the wall to attach cable wrap to for management. When this print completes ~36 hours later, I'll assemble it and make sure everything works before releasing.

Reactions: xcrco and SashaLag

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018

I managed to fry my motherboard, so I put this project on pause for a while. I picked up a 2700X and a Strix B450-I though and have put together what I hope will be the last rev of this case before "release". I added a power button and front USB and some features on the wall to attach cable wrap to for management. When this print completes ~36 hours later, I'll assemble it and make sure everything works before releasing.
It's a really nice job! Congratulations!