Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

BobbyM

Efficiency Noob
Aug 19, 2018
Hello everyone. I'm new here on the forum and I'm glad to be part of the community now.

Since Caselabs went out of business, Ive spent days looking for alternatives that share the same high quality minimalist design that Caselabs cases represent, and i think i found it in the Cerberus. In my search for alternatives, i quickly realized that a case with an all metal, mature, and minimalist design is extremely rare - its just not common in this day of cheap building materials, gaudy designs, and RGB.

With the fear that Sliger and KI will suffer the same demise as Caselabs, I quickly placed an order for a Cerberus; a case i feel represents the last of a dying breed.

Now that my feelings are out the way, there is something that i would like as an option - @Aibohphobia mentioned it a couple years ago (yes, Ive spent hours reading through this forum - no life lol) and that option is for rear power button and USB placement. This will make the front of the case look so clean and no cables would be visible through the side openings of the front panel. Id gladly order a new top panel without the power button and USB cut outs. The image of the plate option is below:

Is it possible to get top panel without power button and USB cutouts, and a rear power button and USB plate for the rear? This will make me extremely happy.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hello everyone. I'm new here on the forum and I'm glad to be part of the community now.

Since Caselabs went out of business, Ive spent days looking for alternatives that share the same high quality minimalist design that Caselabs cases represent, and i think i found it in the Cerberus. In my search for alternatives, i quickly realized that a case with an all metal, mature, and minimalist design is extremely rare - its just not common in this day of cheap building materials, gaudy designs, and RGB.

With the fear that Sliger and KI will suffer the same demise as Caselabs, I quickly placed an order for a Cerberus; a case i feel represents the last of a dying breed.

Now that my feelings are out the way, there is something that i would like as an option - @Aibohphobia mentioned it a couple years ago (yes, Ive spent hours reading through this forum - no life lol) and that option is for rear power button and USB placement. This will make the front of the case look so clean and no cables would be visible through the side openings of the front panel. Id gladly order a new top panel without the power button and USB cut outs. The image of the plate option is below:

Is it possible to get top panel without power button and USB cutouts, and a rear power button and USB plate for the rear? This will make me extremely happy.
Sure caselabs story is sad.

Coming back for rear button, i guess it could be a nice option for pure looking.
For my point of view, front usb port are quite useless (with so many keyboard or mouse pad’with usb passthrough), and thick cable is always a challenge to route.

kecoal2

Caliper Novice
May 6, 2018
got my motherboard RMAd yesterday. Ran my usual stuff after rebuilding my entire PC. Hangs again but this time I had a OC. This I swear is only happening ever since I moved into the Cerberus X :(. The hang this time was not nearly screatchy in my headphones as it usually is. Any idea what comes next here? GPU?

Nyven

Caliper Novice
Nov 16, 2017
got my motherboard RMAd yesterday. Ran my usual stuff after rebuilding my entire PC. Hangs again but this time I had a OC. This I swear is only happening ever since I moved into the Cerberus X :(. The hang this time was not nearly screatchy in my headphones as it usually is. Any idea what comes next here? GPU?

Since you've tried a different psu/rma'd your motherboard, the things i'd try next is using a different sata cable to your os drive ( yes I've had this exact thing happen to me where you can't figure out whats wrong since it could be many things and you never think to try the darn sata cable, you think it either works or doesnt but not true it can work mostly fine and every once in a while mess up files being written or read; had 2 such cable semi-deaths across all the comps i've worked on in the 20 years i've been working on computers), next I'd check the ram to make sure you don't have a bad stick, then i'd try using a different video card if you have access to a different one to see if that makes the difference. And if those don't work you could check to make sure your up to date on your ssd's firmware (in case its a ssd issue that the firmware has fixed), and try a different drive for your OS to be installed on (assuming you've already reinstalled windows to make sure nothings corrupt or messed up in os, otherwise i'd try this before a different drive). All things you can check that could be cuasing issues.

Edit: If you switch sata cables I'd reinstall windows as well to make sure nothing is corrupt currently in windows, think I'd check ram/video card out 1st if you can as less hassle probably.

SweetVandal

Caliper Novice
Jul 30, 2018
Hey, folks. Had my Cerberus come in on Friday, thought I would jump in and share my experiences so far.

Looking through the thread, it seems like I have a bit different use case than most folks here. I keep my PC in the living room for gaming (VR and pancake) and as a Plex server (multiple remote users). As such, I need bunches of storage and am aiming for the least amount of noise possible. For those interested, you can find my pre-Cerberus build here. I'll mostly just focus on the case for now.

So, I came from a NAS-focused Lian Li PC-Q25. The hot swappable HDD cage inside that thing is hugely appreciated, but ventilation and noise were pretty poor. When I upgraded from an i5 6500, I did a super poor job of installing the Noctua cooler (too much thermal paste), so my temps were through the roof (low 90s, occasional 100s on a couple cores during transcodes). Anyway, I fixed that when I rolled into an 8700k (though I don't think I've run any transcodes yet). Temps have been a lot better (80s under load in something like Rise of the Tomb Raider), idle at maybe mid-30s. Since switching to Cerberus, I'm looking at about 29 at idle. I haven't done anything CPU intensive since switching, so I'm hesitant to give a load temp. Okay. On to the case.

First impressions were good. Packing was nice. I wasn't exactly wow'd by the materials immediately, but I began to appreciate it once I was working inside. Panels are nice and stiff, but definitely bowed as mentioned elsewhere. They look fine when attached to the case though, so no big deal. Here's some comparison photos with the PC-Q25. For reference (and assuming my math is right), the PC-Q25 is about 20.4L.

Cerberus is just a little thinner and a little taller, but comes in with a smaller overall volume.

Alright, building impressions. Cerberus has a lot of individual pieces (on account of the modularity). Going in, I thought it was pretty overwhelming, but the screws guide on Sliger's sight was a godsend and I slowly sort of "figured it out" as time went on. I'm used to having little-to-no cable management options and needing to plan installation steps ahead of time. In that regard, Cerberus definitely got me a few times. So far, it's been a pretty standard experience, to be honest. Pretty happy with it. But, here's the bad parts.

Per post #4601, I was expecting to put my 3.5" HDDs on the top of the enclosure using the top mount. Unfortunately, I was not able to do this, on account of two separate factors.

The first is room. If I want to keep the drives straight, my RAM doesn't allow me enough clearance to keep it in-line (it's also worth noting that I'm using Vengeance LPX low-profile modules). If I slide the the bracket down a notch so that I can clear the RAM, the Infini-vents (Infinity vents?) don't align with the brackets.

As you can see, the top holes don't fit within in the grid. Now, this shouldn't be too much of a problem, because there's enough room for at least one bracket if you install it at an angle. However, the particular brackets that I received are bunk. I can't get the supplied screws to thread through the HDD bracket's holes. I tried two holes on each bracket and didn't have any luck. As it happens, one of the brackets has a clogged hole. At first, I thought it might not have been drilled through all the way, so I tried pushing it out with no luck. Upon closer inspection, it looks like someone may have snapped off a screw in the thread. The tool marks on the edges are not from me.

Here's as far as I could get the case screws into the bracket before hitting a wall.

My "solution" was to mount the drives on the bottom. One bracket is actually using the HDD screws and is mounted directly to the disks. I had to mount the third drive upside down, so I wasn't able to do that on the second bracket. I just used the case screws to keep it semi-mounted. It works for now, until I can sort out an exchange of some kind with Sliger. I emailed them yesterday and, judging by this thread, I'm sure we'll be able to work something out.

Long term, I'll be looking at a Nvidia 80 series GPU, custom waterloop, four HDDs. I feel pretty good about being able to do all of that, but I'll need to move some stuff around to know for sure.

I'm really happy with everything so far, and am excited for what's to come. Functionally, the HDD brackets aren't exactly awesome, but they get the job done (provided I can get the screws in all the way ;) ).

Here's the final photo for this round. I didn't spend almost any time on cable management since hopefully I'll be in there re-working it within in the next week or so (new GPU and new HDD brackets, hopefully), so sorry that it's ugly.

SweetVandal

Caliper Novice
Jul 30, 2018
Finally something is happening! Let's see what AMD and the MB vendors will release this month, and what NVIDIA as well! I would like to add like primary GPU a new Quadro, hopefully a V5000? Otherwise, the third TITAN!
The mobo is just a picture to have a reference!

(I need to flip the fan, sorry, I was tired! :D)

Please, feel free to comments the custom loop, I should have found a good setup, but I am open to changes!

Enjoy this amazing case! And always, thank you @KSliger !

@fabio , is that a 30mm radiator? Looks like a Nemesis GTS?

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
@SweetVandal
I too just got a Cerberus and had a heck of a time getting the screws to work with the hdd bracket, so you aren’t the only one. Luckily everything else is going pretty smooth as far as my case goes. I also recognize the love of excess storage :).

SweetVandal

Caliper Novice
Jul 30, 2018
@SweetVandal
I too just got a Cerberus and had a heck of a time getting the screws to work with the hdd bracket, so you aren’t the only one. Luckily everything else is going pretty smooth as far as my case goes. I also recognize the love of excess storage :).

Interesting! I've been working out an exchange with Sliger, but now I'm thinking maybe I just didn't work it enough? I guess I'll know once the new ones arrive. I was pretty hesitant to force it too much and end up with a stripped screw, or worse.

And yes... I could roll into 2.5" drives, but I don't think I could justify the cost. I'd also limit my total storage amount per drive, which I'm afraid may bite me in the future. I've got 10TB in total now, but am fuzzy on how much of that is actually being used (have some dupes, among some other stuff I'm trying to work through).

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@SweetVandal

Message us on the HDD brackets, seems we have a few that are having problems. I'd like to get this corrected - we'll get you a replacement.

Great write up BTW @SweetVandal, apologies on the bracket issues, love the build!

SweetVandal

Caliper Novice
Jul 30, 2018
Message us on the HDD brackets, seems we have a few that are having problems. I'd like to get this corrected - we'll get you a replacement.

Great write up BTW @SweetVandal, apologies on the bracket issues, love the build!
Thanks for reaching out here @KSliger - I've already been in touch via email and pretty sure we got it all sorted out.

Looking forward to sharing some more as I get more stuff loaded in and cleaned up!

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018
Does anyone have any experience with trying to fit the following watercooling equipment into the Cerberus?

- Mini-ITX motherboard
- 240mm rad on front w/ 25 mm fans
- 280mm rad on bottom w/ 25 mm fans
- Reference size GPU w/ waterblock

If so, what's the max rad thickness that can be used here? And is there a good mounting point for a small pump/res combo?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Does anyone have any experience with trying to fit the following watercooling equipment into the Cerberus?

- Mini-ITX motherboard
- 240mm rad on front w/ 25 mm fans
- 280mm rad on bottom w/ 25 mm fans
- Reference size GPU w/ waterblock

If so, what's the max rad thickness that can be used here? And is there a good mounting point for a small pump/res combo?
Hello and welcome on sff.

Check one this build for your need :
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...x-usa-made-enclosure.454/page-234#post-109605

Reactions: Phuncz

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018

Thanks! I did see that build.

My main questions with that build (or anyone else that's built a watercooling loop in the Cerberus) are about the clearance with the 40mm thick PE240 radiators - wondering if I can fit a 40mm thick 280 radiator underneath the 240 radiator in the front. It's sort of hard to tell from the pictures - looks like a tight fit but maybe it can squeeze in. I'm also wondering about clearance for the 40mm thick front radiator + 15mm fans with the GPU - is there any more room there to fit 25mm fans?

I am fairly confident in the current hardware I'd like to use:
HardwareLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTS 280 (30 mm thick) in the bottom w/ 25mm thick fans
HardwareLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTS 240 (30 mm thick) in the front w/ 25mm thick fans

But am wondering if I can squeeze some more performance out using 40mm thick radiators.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks! I did see that build.

My main questions with that build (or anyone else that's built a watercooling loop in the Cerberus) are about the clearance with the 40mm thick PE240 radiators - wondering if I can fit a 40mm thick 280 radiator underneath the 240 radiator in the front. It's sort of hard to tell from the pictures - looks like a tight fit but maybe it can squeeze in. I'm also wondering about clearance for the 40mm thick front radiator + 15mm fans with the GPU - is there any more room there to fit 25mm fans?

I am fairly confident in the current hardware I'd like to use:
HardwareLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTS 280 (30 mm thick) in the bottom w/ 25mm thick fans
HardwareLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTS 240 (30 mm thick) in the front w/ 25mm thick fans

But am wondering if I can squeeze some more performance out using 40mm thick radiators.
Yes dual 240 is fitting.
Placing a 280mm rad beneath front 240 is a hard call.
However, you could go for 280mm front and bottom 240mm...or stick to 240mm radiators..:)

anoldfriend

Trash Compacter
Jun 23, 2018
Hi folks!
I currently own a DSE breathe and love it.

I think I`ll buy a cerberus matx and slap a 2080ti msi gaming x or another of those triple slot behemoths that will come (after price drop on the gpu),

Is the cpu air cooler clearance without the side hinge bracket installed 142mm tall or 145mm tall? Sliger site has both infos.

If it is 145, it could fit a cryorig h7.

Thanks in advance!

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018
Yes dual 240 is fitting.
Placing a 280mm rad beneath front 240 is a hard call.
However, you could go for 280mm front and bottom 240mm...or stick to 240mm radiators..:)

Good call, 280mm in front looks like it will work as long as I have the tubing coming out the top. Then I could use a thick 240mm radiator on the bottom without having to worry about clearance.

Edit: looks like Cerberus doesn't support 280mm radiator in front, just 240mm. :(

Last edited:

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
I recently tried to move my buddies Corsair H115i (280mm x 26mm) into his Cerberus X and with the rad flush with the side of the chassis (leaving only room to use screws on 4/8 mount points, the rad/fans still interfered with the motherboard components.

We tried a number of orientations and it just wouldn't fit securely so we put in an H100i.

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018
I recently tried to move my buddies Corsair H115i (280mm x 26mm) into his Cerberus X and with the rad flush with the side of the chassis (leaving only room to use screws on 4/8 mount points, the rad/fans still interfered with the motherboard components.

We tried a number of orientations and it just wouldn't fit securely so we put in an H100i.

Thanks! I'm planning on using an ITX motherboard in the Cerberus so hoping the motherboard won't conflict. The main conflict I see is with the GPU, planning on sticking with reference length for that (or maybe even mini length they have those for the 20-series + waterblocks).

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Good call, 280mm in front looks like it will work as long as I have the tubing coming out the top. Then I could use a thick 240mm radiator on the bottom without having to worry about clearance.

Edit: looks like Cerberus doesn't support 280mm radiator in front, just 240mm. :(
Well, dual 240mm radiator is only supported by cerberus-x...even setup sample..:)

Reactions: Nanook