Zotac GTX 1080 Ti - Mod - 0RPM Bios - Liquid Metal - Undervolt

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018

I wanted to build a custom portable rig aiming to be as small as possible (6L) so I thought I'd do some modding to my Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini to prep for my build.

Mods:

1) BIOS - EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC ( https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/191595/evga-gtx1080ti-11264-170406 - thanks @teisysadmin)

This allow for 0RPM mode, fans start kicking in around 50C. But more importantly, it allows for custom fan curve to go all the way down to 0%. With the stock bios, the fan curve was locked at 44% minimum. This makes for a noisy run even at idle. Now with this bios, it's much more quiet especially for non-gaming activities.

2) Liquid Metal - Removed original TIM and replaced with Liquid Metal

3) Using 1 large BeQuiet 135mm fan instead of 2 smaller fans. This works very well and the fan is very quiet.

4) Stable Undervolt (3dmark stress to make sure for long term stability)

@ 1810 Mhz - 900mV

@ 1911 Mhz - 1000mV

10% more power consumption and louder for 5% performance gain, not worth it to me...

Results:

A) Stock OC - 40 Idle (because of 0RPM mode), 75C full load

B) Undervolt @ .9V @ 1810 Mhz - 40C Idle, 65C underload ( ~40% fan speed)

C) Undervolt @ 1V @ 1911 Mhz - 40C Idle, 75C underload ( ~55% fan speed)

Very happy with the results from these mods as the card now run very quiet and with a .9V undervolt lock, the coil whine is also much more tolerable as it doesn't fluctuate as much. Undervolt will be my 24/7 settings. Doesn't look great (and frankly ghetto), but you can't argue with the results!

Last edited:

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
This is interesting. Can you confirm if you have Audio after doing the 0rpm flash?
Last time I did it, I lost Audi completely.

See this thread: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/zotac-gtx-1080-mini.1116/page-7#post-42206

Although that's for the 1080, its also applicable to the TI.

Please report back.

Im not home for a few days so I can't check, but I got the idea from this thread:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/alternate-rom-for-zotac-gtx-1080ti-mini.9368/

he confirmed that hdmi audio works.

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
How do you know if a BIOS is compatible to flash? Can this be done with 1050 ti?

I think the 10 series were made so that most chip uses similar bios if it's the same model. Each vendor might tweak it for additional features/mods (like fan curve, etcs).

It's one of those thing you wouldn't know till you try a particular bios, but knowing that it'll most likely work and won't brick the card. I'd do more search to see if more people have tried on similar 1050 ti cards.

Reactions: smitty2k1

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I think the 10 series were made so that most chip uses similar bios if it's the same model. Each vendor might tweak it for additional features/mods (like fan curve, etcs).

It's one of those thing you wouldn't know till you try a particular bios, but knowing that it'll most likely work and won't brick the card. I'd do more search to see if more people have tried on similar 1050 ti cards.

Thanks! It looks like with the NVFlash program I can backup my current BIOS. I think I'll start there and feel out how comfortable I am with it.

Doing some research, Gigabyte makes a normal sized 1050 ti, the "D5" that has a zero RPM mode. Additionally, the "D5" doesn't use extra power connectors like many other 1050 ti's that are factory overclocked. Since my 1050 ti low profile is also made by Gigabyte, I think I'll try that BIOS first. They have one uploaded at Techpowerup.

Reactions: neyurt

kroken

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2019
i tried this too but after flashing i have a weird problem with chrome that is all black. any idea?

Jocker

Case Bender
New User
Feb 14, 2020
i tried this too but after flashing i have a weird problem with chrome that is all black. any idea?

The problem is the "GPU Process" inside Chrome - responsible for the operation of hardware graphics acceleration. Perhaps something is wrong with the drivers of the video card or you should try disabling hardware acceleration of graphics in the browser. In this situation, to disable it, do the following.
Call the properties of the Chrome Browser shortcut,
in the "Object" field (where the path to the exe is written, such as "C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Google \ Chrome \ Application \ chrome.exe"), add the following after quotation marks: [space] - disable-gpu (word space and square brackets do not need to be written, you just need to put it before the command). As a result, the record will look like -
["C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Google \ Chrome \ Application \ chrome.exe" --disable-gpu]. We apply the changes and launch the browser from this shortcut.
Next, go to the Chrome settings (chrome: // settings /). Select “Advanced” and turn off “Use hardware acceleration (if available)” in the “System” settings group.
This recommendation is taken from the English version of support. There, more advanced users can see the command - --disable-gpu --disable-software-rasterizer.

p.c sorry for my english, used google translate

Jocker

Case Bender
New User
Feb 14, 2020

I wanted to build a custom portable rig aiming to be as small as possible (6L) so I thought I'd do some modding to my Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini to prep for my build.

Mods:

1) BIOS - EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC ( https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/191595/evga-gtx1080ti-11264-170406 - thanks @teisysadmin)

interesting, but if instead of Evga, try to fill in bios from ZOTAC AMP! Edition (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/191485/zotac-gtx1080ti-11264-170330-1) I think there the ratio of the % fan will be more correct than in the EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC

So far I have done everything just like you, though without undervolt, everything is stable (except for the Chrome problem) the core is in the region of 1900 Mhz, temperature is 63-65 ° C, the fans are in a curve, max 47%, it's all on an open stand.

Thanks for the idea?, it’s straight that it infuriated that according to the standard, fans always worked at 44%, now silence and comfort, it makes noise only in games

p.c sorry for my english, used google translate

LeftShark

What's an ITX?
New User
Feb 25, 2020
The chrome (and other browsers based on chromium including new edge) issue related to saved GPU shaders. This can be fixed by deleting the contents of the shader cache folder located at
\\Users\***\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\ShaderCache\GPUCache
where *** is your user name. You do not need to do anything else. The folder will repopulate its contents the next time you start the browser and you shouldn't have any more problems

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
The chrome (and other browsers based on chromium including new edge) issue related to saved GPU shaders. This can be fixed by deleting the contents of the shader cache folder located at where *** is your user name. You do not need to do anything else. The folder will repopulate its contents the next time you start the browser and you shouldn't have any more problems
this is amazing, i always dealt with this and had to disable GPU acceleration, but now, i can fix it! thank you!

Reactions: Broxin