News ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Mini

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
GPU wise, I am keeping an eye on AMD because they currently have much better dx12 drivers.

*harkel* Maybe they just have shit dx11 drivers compared to Nvidia making the increase artificially high. :p

But it will be interesting to see what AMD brings to the table, and later on Nvidia. I hope AMD has it in them to make purchasing decisions hard again. If they ever release the cards that is. ^^

Reactions: WillBlackstone

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
*harkel* Maybe they just have shit dx11 drivers compared to Nvidia making the increase artificially high. :p
The two biggest factors are that Nvidia implemented the DX11 multithreading extensions while AMDs drivers remained single threaded, and that Nvidia implemented (since Kepler) implicit asynchronous shading for DX11 (because the scheduler is in software) whereas async shading on GCN requires explicit invocation under Mantle/Vulkan/DX12 (due to hardware scheduling). Thus the two big speedups AMD GPUs experience when operating with DX12/Vulkan over DX11 are not available to Nvidia as they have already been tapped.

AMD bet on DX12 having a much shorter development time than it ended up having (hence them trying to force the issue by using what had been worked on so far to create Mantle), so prematurely reduced development resources for DX11 features.

Last edited:

WillBlackstone

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
There is a guide somewhere that shows you how to remove the DVI using only scissors and some persistence. I haven't gotten around to taking that route though because I value my warranty.
Really? Ill look into it, how ever the kingpin is single slot so ill probably go for that if i can fit it in my design.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I gotta say, when they first showed the external GPU chassis, I was thinking that was gonna be an ITX chassis from Zotac...!

Now THAT would be a hot product, if they made that chassis into a full-fledged ITX PC chassis (MB & GPU back-to-back)...

It would be the perfect SFF chassis designed especially for the "in-between" length of the 1080 Mini GPUs they have...

I

Ionrent

Looks like it's definitely 2 x 8-pin:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That's just stupid.

The other guys met with Zotac so maybe this isn't final though.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Looks like it's definitely 2 x 8-pin:

Sweet, a real pic! But DANG, you can see how DENSE that PCB is, holy cow! Those Zotac Engineers are PCB gods... :D

And it certainly seems the PCB extends ALL THE WAY to the end of the dual 8-pins and the backplate, i cant see from that angle how CLOSE it is and what the spacing is on the END of the card... like how card the heatsink goes, how far the fan goes, how far the fan shroud goes.

We need the SFF guys to make a close-up slow moving video holding the card and rotating it around and coming in close on all angles, and then put a damn ruler on it already so we can get a verification on the size of that thing!! XD

EDIT: Found a video of a guy covering the 1080ti Mini, he gets some nice angles on it...

Last edited:
Reactions: Acalanata

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
You can stuff it in an S4 mini, but you'd have to use a 35W CPU, which is a huge sacrifice. I hope we start seeing 400W bricks and DC-DC units from mainstream manufacturers soon.

If they had not included that stupid DVI connector, they could have fitted a bit more heatsink.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I've handled the card as it is at present it is exactly the same spec as the present 1080 (height/width/cooler TDP). The only notable change is that they've moved to an 8+2 power phase from 6+2. The dual 8 pin is planned to go forward to the final card at this point as they want some overclocking headroom for the card. I realize that at first this seems stupid as James put it, but they are planning to do another pass at the cooler to allow for this on the final release. Also worth mentioning is that while chatting with the Zotac rep, I asked if we could please get an official 0db BIOS update and was told they'd see what they can do.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I've handled the card as it is at present it is exactly the same spec as the present 1080 (height/width/cooler TDP). The only notable change is that they've moved to an 8+2 power phase from 6+2. The dual 8 pin is planned to go forward to the final card at this point as they want some overclocking headroom for the card. I realize that at first this seems stupid as James put it, but they are planning to do another pass at the cooler to allow for this on the final release. Also worth mentioning is that while chatting with the Zotac rep, I asked if we could please get an official 0db BIOS update and was told they'd see what they can do.
@Kmpkt You, sir!!! Are a gentleman, and a scholar! Thank you for asking them directly about the 90db (i meant 0db, lol) fan option! Did you also happen to ask them about a release date? ;)

Great to hear that it's the same dimensions as the 1080 mini. I do notice that the PCB seems to be longer, you can tell that on the 1080 mini the PCB doesnt go as far as the end of the GPU heatsink, but on the 1080 Ti Mini the PCB goes all the way out to the end of the 2nd 8-pin GPU power connector. I'm sure they needed that PCB space to cram stuff. :) But regardless it doesn't make the card any longer than the 1080 mini, supposedly. Here's hoping it fits inside the S4 mini, without problems.

Overclocking a 1080Ti Mini?! Wow this 8+8pin thing seems interesting, the 400W HDPLEX might actually get pushed to the limit with this, and that PSU isnt even out yet! I wonder how mainstream customers that were planning on the HDPLEX-400 to power this card, will deal with needing more than the Dell330W power brick they already own?

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Did you also happen to ask them about a release date? ;)

Possibly Q3, if not Q4. The impression I was given is that it really depends on how quickly they can engineer a production-ready heatsink that will get the temps back down to where they need them. I suggested swapping some fins from aluminum to copper as a solution, but we'll see what they do.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Did they say if the shroud or dimensions would change with this new heatsink?