News Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Gaming Box

Gigabyte have announced a new version of its external graphics enclosure based around its upcoming GTX 1080 ITX card, news post from TPU here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/237337/gigabyte-intros-aorus-gtx-1080-gaming-box

The article states "taking advantage of its new GeForce GTX 1080 Mini graphics card", yet if you look closely through the side mesh it looks as if the card has been stripped of its shroud and a larger (120mm??) fan is being used for cooling:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Nice however, even using thunderbolt 3 is pretty restrictive on bandwidth...but i guess your idea was mainly related to alternative fan cooling on gpu..:)

Are you thinking to design a special side panel dedicated to lz7?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Nice however, even using thunderbolt 3 is pretty restrictive on bandwidth...but i guess your idea was mainly related to alternative fan cooling on gpu..:)

I just thought it was strange that they are including a non-standard graphics card bundled with their external enclosure, can you take this card out the enclosure and use it in another case? For example if you wanted to upgraded your external enclosure once Volta is released.

Are you thinking to design a special side panel dedicated to lz7?

You can mount a 140mm fan to the GPU side panel already, your graphics card would have to be single slot though.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I just thought it was strange that they are including a non-standard graphics card bundled with their external enclosure, can you take this card out the enclosure and use it in another case? For example if you wanted to upgraded your external enclosure once Volta is released.

You can mount a 140mm fan to the GPU side panel already, your graphics card would have to be single slot though.
External gpu case is a really niche market, i guess gigabyte is just testing market with this compact & ready to use external gpu.
It could make sense as people who bought ultrabooks want ready to use products.

Let's see ..:)

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
You can see an image of the graphics card inside here:

https://egpu.io/gigabyte-aorus-gtx-1080-gaming-box-review-pocket-rocket/

(it's not allowing me to link the image directly).

At first I thought it looked really ugly without a shroud, but it's grown on me. When you think about it, CPU coolers are the same - just a heatsink and fan. There is something badass about a naked heatsink with a giant fan, I wouldn't mind using this in a desktop. In fact, I think it would be awesome if they released a slightly taller version with a 140mm fan and standard fan mounts, so if you have the clearance you can mount your own standard 140mm fan. Think about the cooling performance you'll get with a Noctua on that bad boy. I think they could also extend the fins up into the heatpipes, even down a bit, and toward the bracket a little if they got rid of the DVI port. If they made it all copper + the custom 140mm fan, you could potentially cool a 1080 Ti with that cooler.