News ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Mini

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
They'd (not just Corsair, this is endemic) have to fight years of their own marketing that jumbo-sized coolers and temperatures far below Tj_max are necessary. A compact, effective and efficient cooling solution would be dismissed as inadequate by their own literature of "bigger is better". Heatsinks for RAM is an excellent example: they are completely unnecessary for anything other than DDR2 FBDIMMs (that you never saw in a consumer machine anyway), but even today no manufacturer could release a high-end DIMM without chunks of pointless metal & plastic attached without risking a massive backlash.

Not really, the only way to go really small is to give up features (multiple 360mm rads!) so it inherently narrows down the potential market the smaller you go.

It wouldn't be that difficult from a engineering perspective (at least I don't think so) but certification and testing is $$$.

One company we talked to at Computex said it wasn't worth bothering with a custom PSU for anything less than 10,000 units. And that's ordering direct from the OEM, so that wouldn't necessarily cover marketing, profit margin, etc.

Guys, I agree with your points. But if portability is your goal, something like ASRock's Micro-STX board that uses MXM cards still ends up being put in a 2.7L case or bigger, when for 0.5L more you can have ITX + regular short graphics card, which will outperform the crap out of that STX system for a lot less money. So giving up a bit of overclocking for extreme portability is something that can be marketed I think.

Because at that point it's not just a very small PC case - I kind of understand manufacturers who want to go 12L rather than 8L because they could then support more options and give it all the ugly design choices they think people want. Because at the end of the day, it's a case that will sit on a desk that is still considerably smaller than a 40L ATX case and a few liters won't make a huge difference. But once you get down to sub-4L, then you're selling a different product, because those are truly portable cases that you can legitimately carry around and that's a product that hasn't really been made. An L9i can handle a 7700K OCed to 4.6GHz with proper undervolting. I imagine most people buying that chip run it at 4.8 GHz in their full-sized desktop systems, so you're not giving up all that much.

Corsair can market it as a very portable gaming station and they can recommend up to i5 CPUs or up to 65W CPU (with an understanding in the enthusiast community that it can actually do more than that). Maybe Corsair isn't the right company, but someone should do it. I maintain that it would sell like crazy if it's made and marketed properly and outsell any other SFF attempt from a mainstream manufacturer like the Corsair One.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I maintain that it would sell like crazy if it's made and marketed properly and outsell any other SFF attempt from a mainstream manufacturer like the Corsair One.

Maybe. I'd like to see someone try but it's a big risk and I'm doubtful it would ever sell "like crazy" considering that if portability is such a concern for the buyer it's hard to beat a laptop.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Maybe. I'd like to see someone try but it's a big risk and I'm doubtful it would ever sell "like crazy" considering that if portability is such a concern for the buyer it's hard to beat a laptop.

Good point, but I'm thinking of it more as a gaming NUC (tho it'd be much bigger than a NUC), and the key advantage would be fully desktop upgradable parts with no limitations like 65W only etc. for a fraction of the price of a laptop. You can pack nearly as much power as a Corsair One in 1/4th the size, that's gotta be worth pushing the frontier of power bricks/DC-DCs a little, I don't know... I mean ASRock developed a whole new motherboard standard with built-in power delivery just to shove a 65W desktop CPU in 1.7L. And then developed another board with an MXM slot that has its own additional power delivery just to include a super expensive and hard-to-get mobile GPU. Seems much easier to go up another 0.5L, make a 400W power brick with a passthru board and just put a regular desktop GPU on the back of an ITX board...? I trust your judgement as you have a lot more experience in this.

Last edited:

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
The 1080 Ti Mini Arctic Storm seems to be disappeared from their website.

Anyone knows what happened? Is it still coming out? If so when?

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I thought this product would be quite groundbreaking, but there's been hardly any coverage or reviews, hardly any builds I've seen it in. It's not even available on Amazon. It performs on par with the 1080 Ti FE, which I think is decent, although I'm not sure if that's simply a thermal limitation of having such a small a cooler on a 250W chip or if Zotac just didn't do a good enough job. They've been known to screw up coolers.

I think the fact that the card doesn't have a 0 RPM mode is a big disappointment. At idle with optimal power enabled in the nVidia control panel, a 1080 Ti consumes 11W. There's no reason for any fans to be spinning at that power draw, unless it's a reference design.

I also think there's an issue with a lack of cases that take advantage of this form factor. All the reviews I've seen have tested the card in cases that easily accommodate full-length cards. One of the 3 Newegg reviews is a guy who is getting it for his A4-SFX. Why...? Cases either only accommodate ITX cards (and those are a relatively small number) or full-length cards, or occasionally they accommodate both with trade-offs, like the M1. But this card is a size that is kind of neither here nor there. Clearly, there are a number of cases on this forum (CustomMod Mini 4L, S4 Mini) that fit the card perfectly, but we are a niche. So those are things I attribute the relative obscurity of the card to. I hope more cases get designed around it. I'm a little concerned that Zotac won't make it for the next generation if it hardly sells. I wish a truly ITX 1080 Ti was possible, but I don't see it. I wish ASRock made graphics cards, they could probably figure it out.

Reactions: Boil

SAS

Chassis Packer
Nov 7, 2017
I would say that the 1080 mini would be perfect for the TDP etc. The 1080ti mini just runs too hot and loud.