Looking into mini ITX water-cooling for first-timers...

SiG

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
I've been trying to look for some reliable water-cooled solutions for ITX cases. As of late, I've been eyeing the Zotac 1080 Ti ArticStorm Mini but still haven't seen it out in the market. That said, I also saw this low-profile water-cooler by Corsair, but it seems like a closed system and doesn't allow it to connect with another cooling block.

I've been using a Silverstone Raven RVZ02 (screenfilters, non-windowed), and from experience I feel the holes are too small to have a pipe pass through the CPU segment to the main GPU "chamber". I was thinking maybe each of these segments should have its own closed water-cooled system, but would that increase powerdraw for such a small build?

(Here's my current build for reference.)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Any suggestions to which brands/types one should look for?

You'd need to use a RVZ01. But at that point a good air cool build would do just as well without the fuss.
The CPU water cooling block ends up taking around 40mm anyways.

Add on most makers just use from a couple of oem manufacturer. So it's all the same only difference is the fan and warranty.

SiG

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
I see. Should CPU-loops and GPU-loops connect, or is it okay to let each component have their own separate, but watercooled, solution? It was one of the reasons why I debated to myself that I might settle for a 1080 Mini instead of a 1080 Ti Mini since the thermals and power draw of the latter are quite substatial.

I wanted to know of anybody who was able to pull off cooling both CPU and GPU via waterloop in a tight space, what parts they needed, and if it required any further modification (i.e. special custom tubing).

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I see. Should CPU-loops and GPU-loops connect, or is it okay to let each component have their own separate, but watercooled, solution? It was one of the reasons why I debated to myself that I might settle for a 1080 Mini instead of a 1080 Ti Mini since the thermals and power draw of the latter are quite substatial.

I wanted to know of anybody who was able to pull off cooling both CPU and GPU via waterloop in a tight space, what parts they needed, and if it required any further modification (i.e. special custom tubing).
Check the RVZ01 owners club on overclock.net. some users have done two closed loops.

If you're talking about combining the CPU and GPU loops then that would be custom cooling and is much more expensive.

I'd rather undervolt and power limit as that is simpler and ends up costing the same.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Ill say it now because I doubt anyone else will. Don't attempt to do a custom watercooling loop in a SFF case without having tried it in a larger one with some success. The hadron build I did (my profile pic) was such a nightmare in the 21L case as my first watercooling attempt and it failed spectacularly after about a year.

Now that I've said that....
You can totally use 2 AIO coolers in the RVZ01 (1 for CPU, another with a GPU bracket), but its not going to be much better than a good air cooled setup. You might even be able to fit one of those EK CLC coolers in there that can be expanded and connect the GPU but your gonna need to look into the clearances and make sure everything will fit correctly. You can cut the seperator if you need to to allow for the tubes to pass through, just make sure you sand them so that the edges dont cut your tubing (id recommend getting a rubber gasket or using some rubber sealant to make the metal edges less of an issue).

If your going custom anyways dont use the Alphacool DC-LT. From experience the pump just isn't good enough and is loud. Thats really the only information I can give you for custom loops as I havent used this case before.

SiG

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
Lastly, does it have to be RVZ01 and not RVZ02? Any possible way to do this for the latter setup?

Edit: And speaking of...:
I'd rather undervolt and power limit as that is simpler and ends up costing the same.

Do you have any custom presets regarding undervolted settings for AMD Crimson Drivers?

Last edited:

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
I've been trying to look for some reliable water-cooled solutions for ITX cases. As of late, I've been eyeing the Zotac 1080 Ti ArticStorm Mini but still haven't seen it out in the market. That said, I also saw this low-profile water-cooler by Corsair, but it seems like a closed system and doesn't allow it to connect with another cooling block.

I've been using a Silverstone Raven RVZ02 (screenfilters, non-windowed), and from experience I feel the holes are too small to have a pipe pass through the CPU segment to the main GPU "chamber". I was thinking maybe each of these segments should have its own closed water-cooled system, but would that increase powerdraw for such a small build?

(Here's my current build for reference.)

Check out this review: http://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cooling/corsair-h5-sf-review/3/ as the fan noise is what turned me off on this one.

Neil