Prototype Xolid 13: clear side panel and extensive compatibility (Update in first post)

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
Hey, guys, I am here to share my PC case project called Xolid 13.

Concept Rendering

[Update] Our third prototype is finally here
Empty chassis (front) and assembled

Front panel, lower end

One configuration with ITX motherboard, 240mm radiator, full sized VGA card, and SFX power supply

Size comparison;)

Introduction:

I've always wanted to make the most out of limited space, and that's why I'm obsessed with ITX form factor. However, I'm also a greedy bastard. I like small form factor, but is unwilling to give up some fancy stuff like hybrid cooler, transparent side panel, endgame graphic cards, and other not-so-cool-but-convent stuffs like ODD and 3.5" HDDs.

I've tried many cases, but each of them has drawbacks.

Then one day, when I was complaining this issue to my friend Raiden. He then said that "heck, why don't we make one ourselves and see what others think? Maybe if enough people like it, we might make it through with the help of crowd funding platforms"

So, after months of discussing, cursing, yelling and rendering, here's our brainchild:
Xolid 13

Specifications:

• Case Dimensions (H x W x D): 322 x 138 x 310mm

• Overall Dimensions (H x W x D): 336 x 138 x 317mm including feet and posterior protrusions

• Volume: ~13.5 liters

• Materials: 3mm/1.5 mm aluminium, (optional) glass

• Metal surface treatment: hairline

• Motherboard support: Mini- ITX

• Graphic card support: dual slot cards up to 304 mm length

• Liquid cooling/hybrid cooler support: Single 120mm or 240mm slim radiator

• Power supply unit (PSU) support: SFX, SFX-L

• CPU cooler support: up to 85mm

• Optic disc driver support (optional): Slim slot loading ODDs, supports 12.7 mm drives

• Fans: 4 x 12 cm fans (3 if opting for additional 2 x 3.5” HDD; 2 if opting for 4 x 3.5” HDD) (one fan below the graphic card must be a slim one)

• I/O Ports (on the top of the case): 2 x USB 3.0, HD audio, power button

• Front panel: ZERO hole, smooth surface. The chassis's logo is backlit with 2 colored LEDs

• HDD configuration:
5 x 3.5” mounts:

1 on the back of the central vertical panel (can replace with ODD + 2 x 2.5” ones)

4 at the anterior part of the case (2 if opting for 120mm radiators, 0 if using 240mm ones)

2x 2.5” mounts: (optional)

2 on the back of “central vertical panel*” (0 if opting for a 3.5” one on the back)

Our goal is to build a small ITX case which suits most power user's need.

• Manufacturer: probably Lian-Li or Silverstone

Other configurations:

4 x 3.5" HDDs

2 x 3.5" HDDs, 120mm radiator, short VGA

240mm AIO cooler with full sized VGA

The other side of the case

The other side of the case

Features we are considering about:

More color options for the mash/glass

Current status:
Working on our first prototype
Testing our prototype and making adjustments on the blueprint
Making some final adjustments before heading into production

LET US KNOW IF YOU ARE WILLING TO TEST OUR CASE!

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Looks interesting!

One quick note though, Mini-STX uses a different standoff mounting pattern than Mini-ITX, so I wouldn't bother trying to support it.

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
Looks interesting!

One quick note though, Mini-STX uses a different standoff mounting pattern than Mini-ITX, so I wouldn't bother trying to support it.

Thanks for the reply! I think we'd drop STX support, since it will require extra cables to connect the front I/O

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Hello dreamerofdune, welcome aboard! The concept looks pretty good, although I have a few quick questions out of curiosity.

What is the max width of radiators that will be supported?
Will an option be offered without ODD support?
Will there be a large enough cutout in the ITX mounting tray to support rear mounted M.2 SSD capable motherboards?
Can a full length GPU be supported if 2x HDD's are installed in the bottom cage?
Will a/an optional SSD mount(s) be offered? (Caselabs offering)

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
Hello dreamerofdune, welcome aboard! The concept looks pretty good, although I have a few quick questions out of curiosity.

What is the max width of radiators that will be supported?
Will an option be offered without ODD support?
Will there be a large enough cutout in the ITX mounting tray to support rear mounted M.2 SSD capable motherboards?
Can a full length GPU be supported if 2x HDD's are installed in the bottom cage?
Will a/an optional SSD mount(s) be offered? (Caselabs offering)

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, there will be an option with no ODD opening.

It will support 120 mm wide radiators, up to 290 mm long. The distance between the side panel and the central vertical penal is about 118.5 mm, so there should be enough space to mount standard height fans on the radiator.

Yes, there will definitely be enough space to support rear mounted M.2 SSD, I can guarantee that.

Full length graphic card can be installed along with all 4 (even 5, if you count in the one on the back) 3.5" installed. In fact, the last picture showed a full length graphic card installed with 2 x 3.5" HDDs and a 120mm radiator.

Yes, 2.5" racks will be offered, we are likely let people decide whether they want a 3.5" rack or a 2.5" one at check out.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Yes, there will be an option with no ODD opening.
Glad to hear it. Hopefully there will be room to squeeze a few SSDs back there too.

It will support 120 mm wide radiators, up to 290 mm long.
If you're not already aware, it's worth mentioning that some of the nicer radiators are much wider than just 120mm so you will definitely want to provide some additional breathing room.
As far as I am aware, only the EK-CoolStream units are exactly 120mm wide.
The Alphacool NexXxos 240mm radiators are 124mmx277mm
The Hardware Labs 240mm radiators are 133mmX278mm
The Aquacomputer 240mm radiators are 146mmX288mm

Yes, there will definitely be enough space to support rear mounted M.2 SSD, I can guarantee that.
Awesome. Will it be accessible from the backside or will the mobo have to be removed to get to it?

Full length graphic card can be installed along with all 4 (even 5)
Glad to hear. Nicely done!

Yes, 2.5" racks will be offered
Woohoo! That was one of my favorite Caselabs features.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Beautiful. May I know what max GPU length if I use 2 x 2.5" HDD & 1 x 3.5" HDD?

Also, can both side panels be removed? It'll help during cleaning / adding parts like the M.2 SSD mentioned above.

Perhaps, together with removable side panels, you can also invert the GPU orientation - this will shorten the required PCIe extender, thus saving cost.

Those suggestion will -perhaps- make the case layout look like Silverstone Ravens ML08 or RVZ02, but still, yours offer better cooling configurations :thumb:

Lastly.. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see the power jack in the render.

Edit: don't forget about cable routing as well. Unfortunately those can take some space.

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
If you're not already aware, it's worth mentioning that some of the nicer radiators are much wider than just 120mm so you will definitely want to provide some additional breathing room.
As far as I am aware, only the EK-CoolStream units are exactly 120mm wide.
The Alphacool NexXxos 240mm radiators are 124mmx277mm
The Hardware Labs 240mm radiators are 133mmX278mm
The Aquacomputer 240mm radiators are 146mmX288mm

The max radiator width supported is 130mm, that should fit most AIO coolers. However, if many people want those extra large radiators, we are more than glad to modify our design.

Beautiful. May I know what max GPU length if I use 2 x 2.5" HDD & 1 x 3.5" HDD?

304mm. It doesn't matter how many HDDs you want to install.

Also, can both side panels be removed? It'll help during cleaning / adding parts like the M.2 SSD mentioned above.

Sure, they are both removable.

Perhaps, together with removable side panels, you can also invert the GPU orientation - this will shorten the required PCIe extender, thus saving cost.

Those suggestion will -perhaps- make the case layout look like Silverstone Ravens ML08 or RVZ02, but still, yours offer better cooling configurations :thumb:

One of the reasons we want to put VGA card and motherboard on the same side is that people can see all the cool stuff through transparent panel. And, this makes this case look different than others.

Lastly.. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see the power jack in the render.

Edit: don't forget about cable routing as well. Unfortunately those can take some space.

Top view, after *top panel removed

There should be enough space for wiring. Thanks for your question and suggestion!

Please feel free to ask anything about the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
One of the reasons we want to put VGA card and motherboard on the same side is that people can see all the cool stuff through transparent panel. And, this makes this case look different than others.

Haha I personally prefer cool stuffs visible on both sides so people can put the case on both left or right side of their monitor.

There should be enough space for wiring.

My bad.. wrong choice of word.. instead of wiring, I mean this plug. I'm curious on where you are going to put this.

Keep up the good work!

Reactions: dreamerofdune

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
Can the fan on the bottom be used as a GPU radiator?

Hey Ricky, thanks for the reply

You mean, a custom radiator? like the 120/240 mm ones we mentioned above?

Yes, and no

Yes, I think that if the height fits, you can certainly install one there. But I don't know if there's any radiator that thin......(less than 25mm, plus the height of fans)

dreamerofdune

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Hexolid
Dec 19, 2016
How are things going with this case?

Hey Ricky,

We are currently in talk with several manufactures, and some of them are OEMs of Silverstone or LianLi. After that, we will build our first prototype and finalize the design.

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
I'm thinking, if one was to put a custom loop in there, what's the best place to put a small reservoir?

Also is there an ETA please?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
This concept looks really good. Small details, but I like the logo you came up with and the design of the feet is pretty elegant and unique! The side panel looks nice, too.

Reactions: dreamerofdune

reely989

What's an ITX?
Mar 31, 2017
A few (probably dumb) questions. It looks like you guys have a great idea here. Will you guys be offering a side panel that isn't clear? I'd personally love that option. Also, if there are options of the case without the disc drive on the "top", would the case be able to be used in a horizontal position? It looks like the thumbscrews you guys are using would be adequate feet for that orientation. In terms of features, this case is incredibly interesting to me. I'm just really looking for a horizontal orientation. The panel being clear I can live with if need be. Keep up the good work! Very nice