Concept Xbox One S enclosure conversion kit?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
A 2U rigid riser might just work for a full height card. The question is going to be surrounding the power leads and rear IO bracket. Since the card will be face down there might be enough room for the GPU fans but I am also thinking some thin 90mm fans can be placed on the bottom housing for a fresh air intake directly over the GPU.

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
I will do the best I can to get it to that target price and to limit the amount of modding required to the Xbox housing. As far as the HDPLEX goes I can't say for certain since the product is not released yet but if I can get a hold of engineering drawings I can make mounts for it. Currently I am designing it for a Meanwell UHP-200.
I'm pretty sure a few people on these forums are already using the hdplex 400w. Maybe I'm not writing the product name right. You can buy one direct from the manufactures here for $95:
https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-400w-hi-fi-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html

Or maybe you mean your product is not released yet. :\ That's probably what you mean. Either way I'll be watching this thread hoping whatever work you share leads to something a more novice builder like myself can use.

Reactions: Zackmd1

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
You can place an entire Asrock DeskMini with MXM GTX1080 inside, will be a perfect fit!
You may only need to replace the coolers with something slimmer.
Also you can use the motherboard's own RGB connector to light up the Xbox DVD tray.
No one will suspect that much power inside a console.... long live the peasants!

Last edited:

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
You can place an entire Asrock DeskMini with MXM GTX1080 inside, will be a perfect fit!
Also you can use the motherboard's own RGB connector to light up the Xbox DVD tray.
No one will suspect that much power inside a console.... long live the peasants!

The issues with building it all around an MXM/deskmini are:

1) what is the challenge then? Just drop a bunch of raspberry pis in there while you are at it. It is much more fun to create something if there is an actual challenge to it.

2) cost increases immensly! MXM based systems are significantly more expensive. Most people with consoles buy them for their cheapness. If they upgrade to PC they most likely would not spend extra on an enthusiast form factor.

3) making a kit for mITX conversion is much more accessable, as then people can pick whatever parts they want, and will be cheaper. With Deskmini based platform, you are limited to only buying a deskmini, and restricted to Intel and Nvidia.

Last edited:

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
That video was the inspiration for the project! The improvement I wanted to make was full height graphics but I see why he went with low profile now. And did not see that he posted the files used... My conversion will use 3D printed components to gain a bit more space but will still likely use laser acrylic for the rear panel at least.

I am not sure how you would be able to fit a full height GPU in there. If nothing else, just the temo management will become an issue...

Nichronos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 22, 2018
The issues with building it all around an MXM/deskmini are:

1) what is the challenge then? Just drop a bunch of raspberry pis in there while you are at it. It is much more fun to create something if there is an actual challenge to it.

2) cost increases immensly! MXM based systems are significantly more expensive. Most people with consoles buy them for their cheapness. If they upgrade to PC they most likely would not spend extra on an enthusiast form factor.

3) making a kit for mITX conversion is much more accessable, as then people can pick whatever parts they want, and will be cheaper. With Deskmini based platform, you are limited to only buying a deskmini, and restricted to Intel and Nvidia.

Useless arguments, if you don't have deep pockets better stay away from building a Mini or you will end up with a potato!
Even more, building a custom project may cost you fortune, for reference my build sits around 4000$ and i don't regret it!

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Useless arguments, if you don't have deep pockets better stay away from building a Mini or you will end up with a potato!
Even more, building a custom project may cost you fortune, for reference my build sits around 4000$ and i don't regret it!

That... is ignorant AF. I wouldn't call my xbox-build with Ryzen5 1500x + 1050Ti a potato, and that one ended up costing ONLY 1000 EUR (including purchase of tools and building materials for the project). Sure, not a super PC by any means, but I still run PUBG 1080p on medium at 76 fps. Before overheating. :p And if you start to cram in much higher components inside an XBOX-case you will have more thermal issues than I already have.

Point is, you can build SFF on the cheap too. Atleast cheaper than 4000 dollars. Just look at all the systems featured here in the forum sporting internal graphics and no dedicated GPUs.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
I'm pretty sure a few people on these forums are already using the hdplex 400w. Maybe I'm not writing the product name right. You can buy one direct from the manufactures here for $95:
https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-400w-hi-fi-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html

Or maybe you mean your product is not released yet. :\ That's probably what you mean. Either way I'll be watching this thread hoping whatever work you share leads to something a more novice builder like myself can use.

Sorry about the confusion! I thought you were referring to their unreleased AC-DC converter. So to answer your original question, yes I should be able to make a bracket system for the HDPLEX but it would likely require an external power brick then.

I view this conversion kit as a modular kit where you can pick what brackets you need for your desired components.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
I am not sure how you would be able to fit a full height GPU in there. If nothing else, just the temo management will become an issue...

I plan on adding additional vents to aid in thermals. The make or break part from what I see right now is going to be the power leads for the GPU. The IO panel might also have to be removed.

Reactions: Mortis Angelus

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016

The deskmini would be cool and you could truly make your own Xbox One X with it but it really would not be much of a challenge. That and the fact that it's very expensive would put it out of most people's reach.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Not sure this is the same makerspace as here in Sweden, but dont they have a strict policy against selling anything made within makerspace?
Here in the U.S, at my library one, they don't really care since you bring your own materials and there is sufficient taxpayer funding for the electricity in the libraries to run the machines and to buy them in the first place. RIP my wallet every tax day :p.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Well I want to make one for myself first and foremost! But yes eventually I would like to look into selling what I come up with for the conversion.

So I got my case in! First observation/modification, I got rid of those damn clips and left the guide pins.... The clip design would have made it nearly impossible to take apart to access components. I enter my pc case often enough to merit a new design. What I am thinking is adding 4 countersunk screws, two on top and two on bottom for easy access without greatly effecting the ascetic of the case. Second observation is that I doubt an M-ITX board and full height graphics card will fit... Have not actually tried it yet but I have my doubts. STX and full height will certainly work but I want to stick with a ryzen system (hurry up ASRock!) I think the bottom can be modified without the need for a full replacement. 3D printed components will likely be limited to pedestal mounts for the mainboard and other components that will be glued into the case.

I do have some ideas as to how you could make it cheaper/easier to make...
Essentially, have the screw mounts to the bottom of the chassis mount with sticky tape/glue, then provide like a printed out guide to where to place the screw mounts. The printed guide could align with specific features on the XBox.

Can you do a Wii conversion kit next? I want to breathe life (or the wild) into my dear old console... ;)

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Does the .ai file work for anyone? Won't open for me

Edit: nevermind, only works with Illustrator itself, not with any other compatible program I have on hand apparently.

You can import .ai files with Inkscape which is free to use. I would export them to a more open format like SVG.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Would STX work in a Wii though? That would be kinda cool for a small HTPC with an H110-STX motherboard.

That thing is pretty cool! It's kinda surprising how small technology has gotten over the years..

An STX might very well fit in the WII. Your next challenge though would be to see what height you have to work with and figure out a method of managing thermals since I do not remember the WII having very many vents...

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
On topic, does anyone have an idea where I can purchase a 2U rigid PCIE riser that does not ship direct from China?? I do not feel like waiting 4 weeks to test out my theory....

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018