Concept Feedback for Mini-ITX stacking 2X Noctua D15's Coolers

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
In the quest for smaller and better cooling, I've got an idea to utilize 2X Noctua d15 air coolers for both the GPU & CPU. I seems a few vids on CPU air coolers being used on GPU with great success. I believe it's just not that popular because it doesn't look very good and you end up not being able to use any of the adjacent PCIE slots.

But there's none of that limitations with ITX builds!

I dub this the "Noctua Tower" build. Here's a 3D render of it.

possible enclosure (but with better cutouts for I/O):

Depending on how I end up building the enclosure around, but the inside mini requirement is 6.7"x6.7"x15". THis is about ~10L in volume.

Couple things that can be costly here, 2x noctua d15 coolers (~$90/each), long pcie riser (~$60), a few power extension (24pin, 8-pin cpu, ~$20). But adding this together can still be cheaper than 2x 240/280 AIOs.

The best part about this build is that since the headsink/fan pretty much cover the entire mobo, there's no need for extra intake/exhasust. The air will just pass thorugh very efficiently from front to back, and both cpu and gpu arguably would have their own cooling channels (top/bottom). Maybe an extra small fan to blast into the GPU VRMs (like they do in G12 aio mods).

Let me know what you guys think.

----------
Update 1: Added Progress Album

Update 2: Add 3rd design, hybrid NH-15 for GPU and 120mm AIO for CPU

Update 3: Started a thread in the build log section since I've began to test some of the concepts
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/mini-itx-build-with-noctua-d15-performance-gaming-pc.9833/

Last edited:

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
You may have to do quite a bit of yoga with the PCIe riser but if you finesse it into place I'd love to see this done for a scratch build. The model on the right looks like the better orientation to me.

I want to suggest getting rid of the SFX PSU for something smaller, but it might actually be a great fit if the space next to it is used to route the GPU cables out of the rear of the case to prevent them sticking out the top, for a cleaner look when it is all finished.

Reactions: Choidebu

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Yeah, the right model definitely looks better but the pcie connection is also the furthest, comparing to the left model. I'm hopping the 600mm thermaltake riser will be long enough (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYG4QLT/?tag=theminutiae-20).

I'm running i7-8086k & a RTX 2080 ti with this build so I'm reluctant to compromise for power and go for anything below an SFX (those micro psu could be hard to go above 400W and I'd have to deal with a power brick)

I'm trying real hard to utilize empty spaces here, and it seems that either way I try to orient the GPU, there's going to be a a few inches of space on top and that's a good spot for the SFX PSU.

Another idea is to maybe use a smaller cooler for either the GPU or CPU and try to squeeze a 2.5 thick sfx psu in there somehow.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
you could do smaller PSUs than SFX without a brick but they only go up to about ~400w, maybe 450, so for your setup with how much overclocking headroom you might want with those coolers then you'd want 2 PSUs, one for CPU/Mobo and the other for GPU and that would complicate things

Yeah I see what you mean about that PCIe cable, that's going to be quite a stretch

Last edited:

Wenemun

Caliper Novice
Mar 7, 2018
Great idea! Looks like a speaker.
I like the look of the one on the right too.
I'd want to put the PSU under the mobo to keep all the cables together though. Maybe put some drives in the top space.
Also can you fit pushpull config?
I also worry about the VRMs. They run pretty hot on the 2080ti, especially if you are overclocking like the d15's deserve to be.

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
I got 1 d15 came in today so I went to test it on my GPU the RTX 2080 Ti, I figure if temps on GPU are bad it'll render this whole concept useless.

And the initial results are insane!!

Normal profile never went past 50C under load

And under heavy OC @ 2100mhz, it runs closer to 60C.

All this on air, and the best part is 30% fan speed so it's not Audible! 30%!!

I'm excited to do the rest when the other d15 and other stuffa comes in!

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
There's about 1.5 inches of free space on top from the io part of the GPU after the mounted heatsink so that's essentially 1.5 inches of free space to keep the 2.5inch tall sfx PSU

mounting the GPU under the motherboard works but that's 2.5in of extra space that needs to be added to already tall build due to stacking. Maybe if you need lots of room for HDDs and SSD, that could make sense. But I'd imagine there's plenty of spaces along the side wall to mount ssds and had if needed in the crevasses.

I don't think wiring will be an issues since you can route wires along the two side wall. At least that's what I'm planning to do the hardest wire is still probably the pcie riser.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Amazing concept! Totally dig the look.

About risers, Would be nice if something like this is more readily available.

That would simplify things so much.

I'd vouch for the right layout as well, the extra space can be used to plug and put passthrough display cables.

Excited for this project! Subbed.

cribbit

Cable Smoosher
Dec 1, 2018
This makes me want to custom make a single cooler system. Your biggest limitation here is that you're having to stuff two D15's next to each other. What if you could put the heat pipes and fins in a perfectly maximizing way?

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
This makes me want to custom make a single cooler system. Your biggest limitation here is that you're having to stuff two D15's next to each other. What if you could put the heat pipes and fins in a perfectly maximizing way?

While I'm decently handy with woodworking, metal works is completely out of my domain so making a fully custom cooler might be out of my comfort zone.

The other compromise would be to use a off the smaller shelf CPU cooler, one with height equals the length of the graphic card minus the current d15 already mounted on the gpu. So visually, the height of the entire chasis would be roughly the length of the GPU+some extra misc. space. But I'm incline to sacrifice on performance by going with a smaller cooler. Smaller cooler also means smaller fan can be used, thus noise level is also compromise.

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018

Watching the video that cribbit linked above shows how the guy "extends" the cpu cooler by adding cooper plates so this is definitely possible to create a extension plate of some kind to also connect to the GPU die, but doing so I dont know how much effciency is lost and if 1 D15+extension cooper plate can cool both the CPU & GPU. It'd be real nice if it could.

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Another thought I have is to use either:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XUV3JTK/?tag=theminutiae-20

the fan will be mounted on the bottom blowing upward, and the d15s on the gpu will still stack on top. In this orientation, the airblowing up wtill be "swept" away horizontally as it meets the stream of air going in parallel that exists the case from the d15 dual fans up top.

This setup will save me about 50mm of vertical height on the full stack.

Last edited:

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Today while looking around to see if I can better utiliize the space between the two heatsinks of the nh-d15 (where a 140mm fan would usually go), I thought, well that's a perfect spot for a 120mm AIO (or if possible a really slim air cooler <30mm in thickness that's also standing up (like the u14s).

So here's my 3rd design, a liquid-air hybrid using a nh-d15 for the GPU & a typical 120mm AIO sandwich right in between:

The advantage of this build is being able to use a full size ATX PSU (could be less noise comparing to SFX PSU), to fully utlize the upper empty space cause by the long length of the GPU. Another plus is the PCI-E is now closer to the onboard connector so connecting the riser would also be easier.

And of course, this build will further reduce the total height from the original design to be about:
~ 6.7x6.7x11"

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
well that's certainly an interesting design!
I'm not sure how I feel about the AIO though, if you're going for low noise then you'll now have pump noise even if your fans are quiet. Is it pretty tricky to sandwhich another tower heatsink like that?

High end SFX PSUs can be pretty quiet too so I don't think ATX helps you out in noise, but if it helps you fill the space then there you go. Are you going to get custom length cables? You don't have much spare room in the design, so if you have extra cable length that needs to be tucked away SFX gives you more room to tuck away cables. But hey, if you've got cables to the lengths you need then that's a non-issue! :)

Reactions: neyurt

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
well that's certainly an interesting design!
I'm not sure how I feel about the AIO though, if you're going for low noise then you'll now have pump noise even if your fans are quiet. Is it pretty tricky to sandwhich another tower heatsink like that?

High end SFX PSUs can be pretty quiet too so I don't think ATX helps you out in noise, but if it helps you fill the space then there you go. Are you going to get custom length cables? You don't have much spare room in the design, so if you have extra cable length that needs to be tucked away SFX gives you more room to tuck away cables. But hey, if you've got cables to the lengths you need then that's a non-issue! :)

I've been looking around to find a thin tower heatsink design that's about ~30mm. For tefrefere the noctua-u12s is still 45mm thick.

If you know of any, let me know!

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I've been looking around to find a thin tower heatsink design that's about ~30mm. For tefrefere the noctua-u12s is still 45mm thick.

If you know of any, let me know!
I have a slim 120mm tower heatsink sitting in my closet that I haven't used in a couple years, I believe it is ~33mm. I can measure it tonight if you want me to.
Titan Dragonfly 4

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Titan/Dragonfly_4/