Concept Xbox One S enclosure conversion kit?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
So this is an idea I have had for some time.... I have a full Xbox One S shell on the way for testing but so far things look promising for a full SFF PC conversion. My current idea is to fit the standard M-ITX main board and video along with a meanwell UHP unit inside the enclosure. Since the enclosure is designed to split in half I am thinking of completely redesigning the lower section (black section) for main board mounting and video card ventilation (using same hole pattern found on top section for CPU) and then 3D printing the new design. The goal is to make this as OEM looking as possible with decent thermal properties. If successful I might consider making the design available for sale if it’s not crazy expensive to produce.... Would anyone be interested in something like this?

PS: A benefit to a plastic case is internal WiFi capabilities!

Yzakz

Efficiency Noob
Jun 22, 2018
I saw that build a few weeks ago and since that day I can get out of my head the idea of build something similar, I tried it using an old Xbox 360 case but I failed and realized that I have zero skills in this subjet XD I may be interested in some convertion kit if the price doesn't go too high

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Looks awesome. You planning on making this so anyone could just purchase this and swap out their original xbox X, or sell the whole case as a kit?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Looks awesome. You planning on making this so anyone could just purchase this and swap out their original xbox X, or sell the whole case as a kit?

The idea would just be to sell the components required for the conversion and for the customer to source their own One S shell. They are pretty cheap and easy to find on eBay. The one thing that might derail this idea though is the fact that 3D printing a large panel like this is not going to be cheap... My test file that I uploaded to shapeways was quoted at $154... That was not a optimized file so I am confident I can get it cheaper but not by much I don't think... I might have to explore other manufacturing methods.

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
The idea would just be to sell the components required for the conversion and for the customer to source their own One S shell. They are pretty cheap and easy to find on eBay. The one thing that might derail this idea though is the fact that 3D printing a large panel like this is not going to be cheap... My test file that I uploaded to shapeways was quoted at $154... That was not a optimized file so I am confident I can get it cheaper but not by much I don't think... I might have to explore other manufacturing methods.
3D printing for anything else than some complicated 2x2cm figure isn't commerciably viable at all, you should look into laser or plasma cutting metal panels.

Reactions: Beardedswede

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
3D printing for anything else than some complicated 2x2cm figure isn't commerciably viable at all, you should look into laser or plasma cutting metal panels.

Very true but the benefit of shapeways is that it provides an easy to use marketplace... Something I have yet to find for laser cut acrylic or metal....

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I have used Ponoko for cutting acrylic and you may be able to find the material that you want. But if you want matte you're limited to one side and 3 mm only.

Reactions: Zackmd1

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
I have used Ponoko for cutting acrylic and you may be able to find the material that you want. But if you want matte you're limited to one side and 3 mm only.

I have used them before and while they are not bad they do leave some things to be desired. What I might have to do is a combo of shapeways and ponoko. Keep shapeways for small brackets and such while using ponoko for the larger sections.

Reactions: rosinbole

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I have used them before and while they are not bad they do leave some things to be desired. What I might have to do is a combo of shapeways and ponoko. Keep shapeways for small brackets and such while using ponoko for the larger sections.
Do you have a makerspace near you? If you are willing to get a bit involved, they can help you with laser cutting larger objects...

Reactions: rosinbole

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
I would be interested in this. If it's $50 or less for the kit it would be an instant buy for me. If it's more expensive I would still be interested in the 3D design files to see if I can have the parts 3D printed for free at the university I work at.

Would this kit have mounts for something like an HDPLEX 400W?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
@Zackmd1 I guess you've seen this video already? The acrylic back panel looks very clean and blends in well with the color of the case... of course you'd have to cut it for a I/O shield so that any motherboard can be used.

I bet you might also fit a full-height card (thus leaving you open to stuff more powerful GPUs) if you use a mini STX board instead of mini ITX ;)

Reactions: Zackmd1

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Do you have a makerspace near you? If you are willing to get a bit involved, they can help you with laser cutting larger objects...

Not sure this is the same makerspace as here in Sweden, but dont they have a strict policy against selling anything made within makerspace?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
@el01, he wants to sell these, not actually have to make them.

Well I want to make one for myself first and foremost! But yes eventually I would like to look into selling what I come up with for the conversion.

So I got my case in! First observation/modification, I got rid of those damn clips and left the guide pins.... The clip design would have made it nearly impossible to take apart to access components. I enter my pc case often enough to merit a new design. What I am thinking is adding 4 countersunk screws, two on top and two on bottom for easy access without greatly effecting the ascetic of the case. Second observation is that I doubt an M-ITX board and full height graphics card will fit... Have not actually tried it yet but I have my doubts. STX and full height will certainly work but I want to stick with a ryzen system (hurry up ASRock!) I think the bottom can be modified without the need for a full replacement. 3D printed components will likely be limited to pedestal mounts for the mainboard and other components that will be glued into the case.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
@Zackmd1 I guess you've seen this video already? The acrylic back panel looks very clean and blends in well with the color of the case... of course you'd have to cut it for a I/O shield so that any motherboard can be used.

I bet you might also fit a full-height card (thus leaving you open to stuff more powerful GPUs) if you use a mini STX board instead of mini ITX ;)

That video was the inspiration for the project! The improvement I wanted to make was full height graphics but I see why he went with low profile now. And did not see that he posted the files used... My conversion will use 3D printed components to gain a bit more space but will still likely use laser acrylic for the rear panel at least.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
I would be interested in this. If it's $50 or less for the kit it would be an instant buy for me. If it's more expensive I would still be interested in the 3D design files to see if I can have the parts 3D printed for free at the university I work at.

Would this kit have mounts for something like an HDPLEX 400W?

I will do the best I can to get it to that target price and to limit the amount of modding required to the Xbox housing. As far as the HDPLEX goes I can't say for certain since the product is not released yet but if I can get a hold of engineering drawings I can make mounts for it. Currently I am designing it for a Meanwell UHP-200.