Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
Agree 100%. It was painful to watch that video. I can't figure out how he has so many followers.

Waiting for Ali's (OT) video. It'll be MUCH better, I'm sure.
I feel like OT will have a similar opinion on the riser cable, he already mentioned that new cases should come with Gen 4 riser cables and his audience is the same people who lurk in /r/sffpc.
You have to admit, most consumers don't care whether the riser cable is certified or not, they care about whether they'll have compatibility issues and whether they'll have to cash out up to $100 more for a Gen 4 riser cable in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: thelaughingman

ellroy80

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2020
I feel like OT will have a similar opinion on the riser cable, he already mentioned that new cases should come with Gen 4 riser cables and his audience is the same people who lurk in /r/sffpc.
You have to admit, most consumers don't care whether the riser cable is certified or not, they care about whether they'll have compatibility issues and whether they'll have to cash out up to $100 more for a Gen 4 riser cable in the future.
That's possible, and I think that's fine. It was Linus' ineptitude that made his video difficult for me to watch.

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
After a night of reading and searching and seeing how much work went into this case, any chance the power button would be sold separately? I've been wanting to try this type of power button.

Reactions: WinterCharm

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
After a night of reading and searching and seeing how much work went into this case, any chance the power button would be sold separately? I've been wanting to try this type of power button.

I don't think that he's offering spare parts, yet... and I would bet it won't happen before ALL of batch 1 and 2 are shipped.

The button is a mechanical kailh blue switch with a case specific bracket that holds it. I think its originally intended for keyboards.

doot4runner

Caliper Novice
Jan 22, 2020
Speaking of power buttons. Did anyone else have the wires come off on their power button? Not a big deal, I just soldered it back on, but it seems like it may be a good idea to put some heat shrink around that solder joint in the future. At least that is what I did with mine. Maybe I was a bit too rough with it

😬

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
I don't think that he's offering spare parts, yet... and I would bet it won't happen before ALL of batch 1 and 2 are shipped.

The button is a mechanical kailh blue switch with a case specific bracket that holds it. I think its originally intended for keyboards.
I figured it would be a long shot and low on the priority list. I'm aware of what it is. I'm tinkering with external power switch box or attaching it to a vertical stand mod that would support the bracket. I wanted to try this circular key cap instead of a square r4.

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
Speaking of power buttons. Did anyone else have the wires come off on their power button? Not a big deal, I just soldered it back on, but it seems like it may be a good idea to put some heat shrink around that solder joint in the future. At least that is what I did with mine. Maybe I was a bit too rough with it

😬
I'm likely the wrong person to ask but I did read needing to be careful with it taking it out.
  • Please be careful removing the power button from the packaging. (don’t yank it by the cord, pull the button out directly by the body / switch).

doot4runner

Caliper Novice
Jan 22, 2020
I'm likely the wrong person to ask but I did read needing to be careful with it taking it out.
  • Please be careful removing the power button from the packaging. (don’t yank it by the cord, pull the button out directly by the body / switch).
Yeah, I think it got torn off when I was putting it in/removing it repeatedly while building/planning the loop. I did read that too and tried to be careful while pulling it out of the packaging. Which, by the way, is fantastic. The presentation is so good.

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
It's really interesting to me how much the guys over at /r/sffpc seem to despise the Winter One. Reading the Linus video thread comments they are just ripping every single part of the case apart. Very weird given the general activity of the community.
I'm not surprised at all. The reddit crowd is more price sensitive. They definitely take a lot of influence from YTers like GamersNexus and OptimumTech for instance. This dynamic also shows up between users on reddit and the ones on specialized forums for other hobbies (I've been on Head Fi, Geekhack and FPgeeks for instance) and because the age group on reddit skews younger and thus less capable of spending, the value products and workhorse products are the ones that get the most hype. Forum goes get perceived as elitist as well.

Winter One is a very well thought out and very well built case that can get your great performance. And to top that all off, the team behind it has executed it excellently. Delays were minimal and always communicated in a proper fashion. It's all professional work.

That said, I do think the case is very expensive and I understand why people are upset that no PCIE4 riser cable is included. But a lot of the people on Reddit want a good case for the money. Winter One is way overkill for 95% of people in the SFF community. It's by definition an enthusiast case. I don't think anyone intends to pair it with a $150 CPU and $300 GPU (these don't exist these days anyway). So don't worry if they don't like the case. They'll come up with reasons of their own.

bomaaye

Caliper Novice
Dec 15, 2020
I'm not surprised at all. The reddit crowd is more price sensitive. They definitely take a lot of influence from YTers like GamersNexus and OptimumTech for instance. This dynamic also shows up between users on reddit and the ones on specialized forums for other hobbies (I've been on Head Fi, Geekhack and FPgeeks for instance) and because the age group on reddit skews younger and thus less capable of spending, the value products and workhorse products are the ones that get the most hype. Forum goes get perceived as elitist as well.

Winter One is a very well thought out and very well built case that can get your great performance. And to top that all off, the team behind it has executed it excellently. Delays were minimal and always communicated in a proper fashion. It's all professional work.

That said, I do think the case is very expensive and I understand why people are upset that no PCIE4 riser cable is included. But a lot of the people on Reddit want a good case for the money. Winter One is way overkill for 95% of people in the SFF community. It's by definition an enthusiast case. I don't think anyone intends to pair it with a $150 CPU and $300 GPU (these don't exist these days anyway). So don't worry if they don't like the case. They'll come up with reasons of their own.
Very well put, completely agreed on all points you raised. I think the larger issue with the reddit is the fact that its almost a hive mind in the sense that, you will likely only ever see NCASE M1 or NR200 builds repeated over and over, which leads newer people who joined the community, to believe that they are the the best cases available. They are good cases, but the problem with them both is you need to compromise a lot if you do want to maximise performance in the confines of a custom loop. The M1 for example requires a slim 20mm rad with 2 slim fans to obtain a dual rad build. Even then, the bottom rad is absolutely starved of a clean air pathway because of the GPU choking it of about 80% of the space above. I could go farther and talk about the pump issues(iceman requirement if you want the 40mm side rad) but I think the point is clear enough.
The more known cases to the reddit at this point, although they are good, compromises are made if you do want to get optimal performance. The Winter One negates that need completely, backed up by extensive Fluid Dynamics simulations and various beta testers. I think that is the main issue with the LTT video as mentioned by people above. He completely ignored the actual selling point of the case beyond the volume and part compatibility,which in all honesty was expected anyway since the channel has never been too technical in that regard given its more entertainment based content.

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020

😬

Yes, and I did the same thing. great minds!

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019

Thanks for the kind words.

The other thing is the original / intended retail price for Winter One was $379. The only reason it went so high is because metal prices have skyrocketed in the last 6+ months, and we put a priority on delivering in a timely manner, over asking people to wait 6-12 months. I think that was a miscalculation on our part. Price is the main reason the reception has been pretty bad, despite the reasonable coverage we got for it, and no matter the earlier delivery timeline, people are being pushed away by the price.

I'm considering making an announcement to the wider SFF community to delay the delivery to next year, and lower the price to 379 instead. Does anyone have thoughts on this? (Obviously, if you bought B2 on the website, we'll adjust what you paid so your pricing is in line with this).

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020

The other thing is the original / intended retail price for Winter One was $379. The only reason it went so high is because metal prices have skyrocketed in the last 6+ months, and we put a priority on delivering in a timely manner, over asking people to wait 6-12 months. I think that was a miscalculation on our part. Price is the main reason the reception has been pretty bad, despite the reasonable coverage we got for it, and no matter the earlier delivery timeline, people are being pushed away by the price.

I'm considering making an announcement to the wider SFF community to delay the delivery to next year, and lower the price to 379 instead. Does anyone have thoughts on this? (Obviously, if you bought B2 on the website, we'll adjust what you paid so your pricing is in line with this).

Honestly I think the lower price will go over better with the wider community and will serve the case and company better in the long run - but the initial 6-12 month wait won't be well-received by the smaller community that was planning on getting one ASAP. (See Meshlicious Delays)

It really ends up being: which do you think that you and your customers would rather swallow? There will be those that are disappointed either way.

Personally I think that even for a very well-made case like the Winter One, $449 US + $45 is a hard thing to justify unless they're building the absolute best PC money can buy in it, and in that case, you're limiting yourself to a smaller section of the market, too. $379 opens that up to more people and helps reduce the sticker shock for the rest of the market.

TL;DR: My vote is on delaying and reducing the price.

Last edited:

Polaris1981

Chassis Packer
Apr 19, 2020

I think the case has been received very well, the general consensus seems to be amazing building quality and unmatched cooling at the volume. The price might put a few people off, but if you're water cooling, it's basically the combined price of good CPU and GPU blocks, a pump (or combo) and some fittings. I honestly think one of the issues is that the silver is the only color available in batch 2. I think overall, the black color would make up the majority of sales if both colors were sold at the same time. I for one was ready to purchase immediately until I saw that only silver was available. Overall though, I believe people would pay the $70 premium to receive it sooner as opposed to next year.

Keep up the great work Fouzan, you've done great for the community!

• Love

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
It is very difficult to make a decision like this. Of course the case is expensive, but when I see the no MSRP price that some people buy the 5900X or 5950x (just to have the last generation) without mentioning the graphics cards, I tell myself that the buyer must also make choices. Personally, I change my components more often than my case and I considered the purchase of the WinterOne as an investment for the years to come, but I understand that not everyone thinks like me. I also understand that for a young company, not selling a product that is not priced right is very risky and a bad reputation lasts a long time.

A personal question though, the sale of the perforated panels and other parts would be delayed to 2022 as well? What about the development of SPK?

Last edited:

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
I’ve kept up with this case’s development since the thread first started, and came close to (but ultimately passed on) backing the Kickstarter. The SPK is a big draw for me but I know that’s a ways away if it happens, and I wasn’t comfortable being an early adopter for a case at that price point. As cases start to get into people’s hands, I’m more seriously considering picking one up…until I start to do the math. A full water cooling setup seems like it’d run at least $600, plus the case. Even if the chassis were $300, I don’t think I’d pull the trigger. For an air cooled setup I’d need the performance panels which I don’t like aesthetically, and the case doesn’t feel worth the price if I’m not using the primary feature of 2x240-280 rads.

This is all to say that I’m price conscious, and it’s stopping me from buying the Winter One, but not because of an extra $70. It’s hard for me to picture the person who is happy to drop that much on a water cooling setup but not willing to eat an extra $70 to have the case in hand 6-12 months sooner. The general reception might have felt nicer if the list price was $379, but I wouldn’t be confident that would necessarily convert to sales. Your case is decidedly premium, and serves a decidedly different market from those (like me!) who buy e.g. NR200’s