Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

Nomad

Chassis Packer
Mar 2, 2017
After a few days of using the PC I have to say I continue to be impressed with the thermal performance of the case. The most notable effects were on the 3090 FE I have installed. Some measurements I've noted:

3090 in nr200, no thermal pad mod - Memory temps 108C (ouch) in 5 minutes of heavy load
3090 in nr200, thermal pad mod - Memory temps 98C in 2 hours of heavy load
3090 in W1, thermal pad mod - Memory temps 86C in 2 hours of heavy load

Pretty impressive feat for sure!

Koxx5D

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 26, 2020
After a few days of using the PC I have to say I continue to be impressed with the thermal performance of the case. The most notable effects were on the 3090 FE I have installed. Some measurements I've noted:

3090 in nr200, no thermal pad mod - Memory temps 108C (ouch) in 5 minutes of heavy load
3090 in nr200, thermal pad mod - Memory temps 98C in 2 hours of heavy load
3090 in W1, thermal pad mod - Memory temps 86C in 2 hours of heavy load

Pretty impressive feat for sure!
Excuse me, but can you specify the thermal pad mod? What are the cpu temperatures?

Nomad

Chassis Packer
Mar 2, 2017
Excuse me, but can you specify the thermal pad mod? What are the cpu temperatures?
For sure!

Long story short, Nvidia skimped on the thermal pads for the 3090FE (some other manufacturers may have as well but the FE was a serious offender) and as a result the card, but more specifically the GDDR6X runs very hot. Nvidia claims the GDDR6X they use has a max heat load of 105C, but Micron claims 95C should be the max temp.

Either way, once any temp sensor crosses the 100C threshold, the card significantly throttles in an attempt to cool down (Post mod I had a +40 FPS boost in some games).

Onto the mod itself, you're just opening the card up and replacing the thermal pads and paste with higher quality materials that have a higher heat transfer capability. It costs about $80 and about 2 hours of your time to disassemble and reassemble. Some folks have said just doing the backplate pads will get you a decent bump but I'd say at that point just do the full thing in one fell swoop.

Here's some before/after photos:

Before, notice the tiny pads near the v area:

After:

If you decide you want to do this, I would recommend you follow this tutorial: 3090 FE Thermal Pad Mod, my only comments are:

1. I have no idea how they got away with using only 3 pads, I'm sure you could do it but I don't think the planning is worth it to save $20, I'd just buy 4 pads.
2. They recommend applying thermal pads to both sides and then reassembling, I think the easier way to do this is actually to prep the die side first, then reattach the PCB to the heatsink with the die frame (see photo 3), then apply the back side thermal pads.

---------

As for the CPU Temps, under load the 5950X gets to about 76C on an NH-L12S, so I can't complain. The idle temps are really high for some reason at about 54C on average (I'm not sure why), but this is ultimately a temporary setup and within safe operating temps by a wide margin so I'm not bothered by it. Worth noting that I'm using an 80mm fan instead of the default 120mm fan due to clearance issues with the ram (not technically low profile).

---------

On etsy DreambigrayMOD makes cables for different brands, check here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/691864...lverstone&ref=shop_items_search_1&frs=1&crt=1

Good luck!

Finally got around to contacting Ray, and wow, exactly who I needed to talk to so thanks a ton for the link. If they come at the right length and in good quality (which given his reviews seems incredibly likely) not only will I go back to him for my second W1, but also recommend him to just about everyone.

For some context:

I priced out a 24p, 8p CPU, 2x 8p GPU, and 6p Molex on CableMod and not only was that not what I actually needed (12p GPU), they also wouldn't let me make some of the cables short enough (min 24p length is 150mm).

Total price would have been:
Cables - $101.50
Shipping - $20
Total - $121.50

Contacted Ray, he sent me a bid for 24p, 8p CPU, 12p GPU, 6p Molex in the exact measurements I wanted.

Total price was:
Cables - $48
Shipping - $31 (I chose expedited, base was $6)
Tax - $8.07
Total - $87.07.

And now we wait!

Nomad

Chassis Packer
Mar 2, 2017
Maybe you can try this ? Sorry about the french link :)

Wow I missed this comment! Seems like everyone knows where to go to get the goods!

I'm going to give it a shot, I bought a positive side one that hopefully won't interfere with the power switch. If it does I may try a 3d printed spacer for clearance.

Ricky

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 23, 2016
Interesting video, I really hope Linus' ineptitude won't hurt sales. OMG but now I remember why I stopped watching his channel. Looks like a SFX and not SFX-L is the way to go and custom cables are almost a must.
The ineptitude is part of the fun, he’s entertainment, not Gamers Nexus or Level1Techs. But yeah SFX-L unfortunately is a no go, I was curious to see how that’d turn out.

Nomad

Chassis Packer
Mar 2, 2017
It's really interesting to me how much the guys over at /r/sffpc seem to despise the Winter One. Reading the Linus video thread comments they are just ripping every single part of the case apart. Very weird given the general activity of the community.

Reactions: WinterCharm

Nomad

Chassis Packer
Mar 2, 2017
Interesting video, I really hope Linus' ineptitude won't hurt sales. OMG but now I remember why I stopped watching his channel. Looks like a SFX and not SFX-L is the way to go and custom cables are almost a must.
I used the same PSU in my build and I agree, custom cables are all but required to make managing cables even possible.

Reactions: rfarmer

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
It's really interesting to me how much the guys over at /r/sffpc seem to despise the Winter One. Reading the Linus video thread comments they are just ripping every single part of the case apart. Very weird given the general activity of the community.
Their attitude towards the case will change when OT places it at the top of the benchmark list. These are the same people who see a build like this and think "man this NR200 is such a great case." There were so many people posting for thermals troubleshooting help in that sub after they tried copying OT's build.

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Reddit is full of groupies and everyone knows more than you do.
I.e. - If you're watercooling and not using ek, you're wrong.

I've seen the trend over there seems to be nr200s... And the W1 is a premium case that most of the reddit base probably can't afford or won't buy.

doot4runner

Caliper Novice
Jan 22, 2020
I am super impressed with your cable management @mxj1. I am getting that that stage of the build and have all but given up. There is a huge mess between my PSU and pump.....

Also, my ddc that I was going to use was dead when I tried to test the integrity of the loop. :(

Reactions: mxj1

mxj1

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
Thanks! - I swapped my ddc to a four pin fan header and shortened it so that there's just enough to route up behind the psu and plug into the quadro.

If you're using a d5, do the same for the pwm wire, but run the 12v/gnd to straight to the psu.

...and the m2426 is wonderful at getting rid of cable clutter.

doot4runner

Caliper Novice
Jan 22, 2020
Thanks! - I swapped my ddc to a four pin fan header and shortened it so that there's just enough to route up behind the psu and plug into the quadro.

If you're using a d5, do the same for the pwm wire, but run the 12v/gnd to straight to the psu.

...and the m2426 is wonderful at getting rid of cable clutter.
Ooh. Maybe is should do that With the pump. That would simplify stuff a lot. Thanks for the tip. And yes. I agree. the M2426 is amazing