Stalled Winter One -- 15.6L SFF case, 3090 Support, 3-slot GPUs, dual 280mm radiators, CFD Optimized Design

smalltownboi

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2020
@WinterCharm your logic makes complete sense.

176mm is massive, I'm pretty sure one could fit a tube res'd D5 in there. Let me go check my stores and confirm.

I will also check my rad/fan combo, I'm planning to use Blyski rads so I think with some noctua's they come in at 54mm's. That may mean up to 178mm!!!

Actual measurement:

Small EK D5 tube Res with AC D5 is 154mm height excluding usb pins.

Blyski rad with noctua chroma fans is 54mm.

Take into account the width at the spine, which is 62.5 mm.
I haven't found any d5 pump res combo units with diameter less than 70mm.

If the diameter of the res tube is 60 mm and one manages to fit the pump top/volute below the spine, it would still leave a width of 65mm to be accounted, if the total diameter of the pump res is 70mm.

Only possible d5 res pump combos that could fit are the ones with tube diameter of around 50mm and total diameter of around 70 mm. This is while managing to shove the pump top/volute section under the spine

Reactions: Goatee

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018

If the diameter of the res tube is 60 mm and one manages to fit the pump top/volute below the spine, it would still leave a width of 65mm to be accounted, if the total diameter of the pump res is 70mm.

Only possible d5 res pump combos that could fit are the ones with tube diameter of around 50mm and total diameter of around 70 mm. This is while managing to shove the pump top/volute section under the spine

All good points. My D5 is too fat (bit like its owner) to fit in that config then.

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
176mm is massive, I'm pretty sure I can fit a tube res'd D5 in there. Let me go check my stores and confirm.

I will also check my rad/fan combo, I'm planning to use Blyski so I think with some noctua's they come in at 54mm's. That may mean up to 178mm!!!
All good points. My D5 is too fat (bit like its owner) to fit in that config then.
Check out some of the previous conversations on tab 80. The EK pump/res combo's acetal body appears to interfere with the spine. I've speculated on a couple simple modifications to the EK assembly to make it fit. We'll have to wait and see.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Check out some of the previous conversations on tab 80. The EK pump/res combo's acetal body appears to interfere with the spine. I've speculated on a couple simple modifications to the EK assembly to make it fit. We'll have to wait and see.

Looking at the model there is less clearance than I had thought.

I guess a bad case of Scoliosis to put a kink in that spine to run it behind the PSU is out of the question. :D

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Looking at the model there is less clearance than I had thought.

I guess a bad case of Scoliosis to put a kink in that spine to run it behind the PSU is out of the question. :D

You'll all be happy to know there's more space than you think :) Check out the Real measurements provided here. :)

Reactions: thelaughingman

bomaaye

Caliper Novice
Dec 15, 2020
I'm literally sitting here contemplating the EK FE block as I'm worried my current Bitspower block would either:
a) Not fit at all due to the extra length at the end with fittings
b) Prevent clean runs due to dimensions

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
..and I'm literally sitting here contemplating buying a 150 bucks cnc router to create the distroplate that solves all my problems, or at least get a 3D printer to get the dimensions right and outsource it :D

hwytodangerzone

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2020
I seemed to have missed it somewhere along the lines, and it had to have been discussed before, the only dimension so far that concerns me is spine to side panel. I've got plenty of vertical height (only using a single 140 rad) and space behind the gpu for a standard d5 pump + small tube rez but seems like the blocker is the space between spine and side panel is just a teeny bit too small for the tube to clear.

lukeni

Chassis Packer
Nov 13, 2020
I'm honestly at the point where this case is going to sit in the corner while I wait for the smarter, braver, folks to do builds that I can copy. For various reasons, I'd really like a D5 with some sort of reservoir, but even using a single 140 on the bottom I still come up with either potential clearance or routing issues ... not the least of which is compounded by the already purchased ewkb 3080 FE block with it's novel port placement.

It seems you can swap out that end piece of the block to angle the ports 90 degrees to the front of the card which should avoid some headaches.

hwytodangerzone

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2020
It seems you can swap out that end piece of the block to angle the ports 90 degrees to the front of the card which should avoid some headaches.

Oh, for sure. The block is a chunk, so I'm prepared that not every 90 deg + fitting is going to work in the space between the gpu block and side panel using the 90 deg port block, but there should be a few without having to go with low profile koolance ... I personally have a lot of animosity toward those.

What I'm having difficulty working around is that d5 tube combos always have the inlet on the right and outlet on the left, as you're looking at them. Assuming that there's even a possibility the tube + 1/2 the overhang of the pump fits between the spine and side panel (which I think has been ruled out already) the outlet is sitting behind the gpu block. The FE block is short, sure, but 315-206.2, add a couple of mil for the gpu bracket too, leaving 100+ change mm to work with. Pump bracket will eat some of that up. No more room left for fittings on the pump.

So far the only scenarios I see realistically working are:
1) ddc + small top behind gpu, no reservoir.
2) d5 + top behind gpu mounted sideways, no reservoir.
3) (possibly) ekwb 120 flat ddc mounted horizontally next to a single 140mm radiator at the bottom. (already had bad experience with a configuration similar because pump motor has no air flow since there's no room for a fan under it)
4) combo ddc pump cpu block and stand alone reservoir behind gpu ... ugh.
5) Phanteks flat ddc combo behind gpu ... would rather stick a fork in my eye.

Have I missed anything?

Ilyu

Trash Compacter
Nov 6, 2019
maybe a standalone res above the pump with e.g. double 45s to shift the tube towards the psu to fit?

Edit: wont work.

Last edited:

AP2

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 1, 2017
@WinterCharm - do you know if this riser will fit your case? if so, whats the length needed?

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Update 14 went up yesterday!

(copy/pasted below)
----------------

QC, Questions, and a Correction​

BACKERS: 24 HOURS REMAIN TO UPDATE YOUR ADDRESS. IF IT HAS CHANGED, PLEASE DO THIS IMMEDIATELY.

General Updates​

• First shipment of parts arrived on Thursday (undergoing QC)
  • Second shipment of parts is on the way (est. Monday)
  • Packaging shipment is in transit

Q&A​

Q1: Could you provide some dimensions referencing the pump bracket to the center spine? This is actually kind of a big deal I hadn't considered.
For example, will the "body" of the EK XRES REVO D5 fit under the spine at around 60mm from the center of the bracket?
A1:

• The Dimension from the inside of Side Panel, to back of power supply is 87mm.
  • If the bracket is mounted parallel to the Front Panel, from the *middle* of the pump Bracket, to the top of the edge of that pump, is ~ 56mm.
  • If the bracket is mounted perpendicular to the front Panel (above the lower radiators), then you have 70mm from the stop of the pump bracket to the bottom of the spine.
  • For images of these measurements, click HERE
Q2: Can I use a Glacier 160 with DDC pump?
A2: Yes, you can! Have the inlet/outlet ports at the bottom of the RES face the power cable/riser cable area *under* the GPU and use a shorter GPU/water block, or place it to the *side* of the water block on the GPU.

Q3: Is the horizontal layout from v8 still a supported feature?
A3: This feature had to be removed to increase internal volume and support the 3090. The limitations of machining long, thin geometries made the sliding side panels difficult to implement. Our solutions to these issues resulted in a removal of support for the horizontal configuration to get rid of parts of these thin channels that were warping and causing sliding issues. Thus, the horizontal configuration is no longer supported.

Q4: Will we get a Front Panel with ports?
A4: In the early days of designing the case, our surveys showed the majority of people didn’t want it. There may be space below the power button, but it will interfere with pump compatibility. Either way, we are exploring options for how we may implement a USB-C port into the front, especially since we've had more people request the feature recently.

Q5: Is the Power Supply Extender 230V / 240V? Or it is 120 Only?
A5: The power supply extender is rated for 110-240V and up to 10A sustained current, allowing for a minimum of 1100W - more than any SFX power supply will draw.

Q6: How much weight can the pump bracket hold?
A6: We ran FEA on the pump bracket and tested up to 3kg. Based on these studies, the pump bracket can safely hold 2 kg (4.4 lb)

Q7: If I have Solid Side Panels, Can I still use a 3-slot 3090?
A7: This is possible to do. Although not recommended, as 2-slot graphics cards have a much easier time drawing air, there is enough space that this arrangement will be okay, provided you do not overclock your card.

{Correction for Water Cooling Temps}​

This was already posted earlier in SFF.net, but was made part of this update to correct the Kickstarter record.

---------------

QC is going well, and timelines haven't changed so far. I'll be answering more questions probably on Wednesday, and the next update will likely be near the end of the week. The focus right now is on QC and getting it all done so we can start packing and shipping cases. :)

Last edited:

bomaaye

Caliper Novice
Dec 15, 2020
I know this has probably been extensively discussed , but for d5 pump and/or res options, is there a reason I'm only seeing horizontal preliminary build plans?
Is that because of the in/out port placement or is it due to the central spine confining it to ~60-70mm in height?

Last edited:

Post-Newt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 12, 2020
I know this has probably been extensively , but for d5 pump and/or res options, is there a reason I'm only seeing horizontal preliminary build plans?
Is that because of the in/out port placement or is it due to the central spine confining it to ~60-70mm in height?
I'm one of those people planning on the pump+res combo, but I already own all the parts so I'm not bothering with doing any modeling. Some notes:
  1. Max width claim of 63.5mm pump. Either this dimension is from spine to case side panel or it assumes the pump assembly is centered on bracket. Need clarification on whether center of bracket to spine is 31.75mm or something less. If 31.75mm, then you're restricted to a 60mm reservoir tube OD. If less or if desired tube is greater than 60mm OD, then you'll need a custom bracket or somehow adhere directly to front panel.
  2. Vertical clearance depends on whether pump+res combo is a bottom or side mount. If side mount, then 56mm from bolt pattern center to underside of spine. If bottom mount, then 70mm.
Let's use the dimensions for the EK-XRES 100 Revo D5 PWM as an example since a couple of us have one and might be using in this case.

If the dimension from #1 assumes the pump is centered on the bracket, then the tube will fit with a 1.75mm clearance. The acetal body, which needs to be under the spine due to its larger diameter, is around 60-61mm from bolt pattern center to top of body resulting in a 4-5mm interference with the spine. I think the interference can be resolved by cutting off the upper lip of the rubber vibration isolator, thus allowing the pump to sit about 4mm lower in the bracket. I'll probably have to skim off some acetal. IN/OUT location is not a concern and I'm wingin' it on the fittings.

Edit: My plan B, which might become my plan A now that I've given this more thought,, is to use the XRES volute that came with my pump. It will clear the underside of the spine by 1mm without modification. I'll then likely attach a 60mm tube res to the inlet.

Last edited:
Reactions: WinterCharm

bomaaye

Caliper Novice
Dec 15, 2020
  1. Max width claim of 63.5mm pump. Either this dimension is from spine to case side panel or it assumes the pump assembly is centered on bracket. Need clarification on whether center of bracket to spine is 31.75mm or something less. If 31.75mm, then you're restricted to a 60mm reservoir tube OD. If less or if e inlet.
Side panel to the central spine is around 87mm or so, so that won't be the issue. D5's will fit assuming a short gpu. I have a 3080FE so that's not the concern, although tubing might be a bit tricky..